- United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carried a cargo-laden Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft towards the International Space Station (ISS).
- It carried over 3,000 kg pounds of research material that will directly support over dozens of key investigations on the orbiting laboratory
- The mission will deliver experiments, equipment and supplies to the orbiting laboratory and its six-member crew of astronauts and cosmonauts
- The station’s current crew, known as Expeditions 45 and 46, will conduct more than 250 science and research efforts during its mission.
- Cargo carried to space on this mission includes payloads that were lost on two previous failed cargo missions.
- With the new supplies aboard the station, the crew will install the laboratory equipment including a new life science facility that will allow studies on cell cultures, bacteria and other micro-organisms.
- The astronauts will conduct experiments to survey the behaviour of gases and liquids and clarify the properties of molten steel in weightlessness.
- Cygnus will be grappled on December 9 by NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren, using the space station’s robotic arm to take hold of the spacecraft.
- The spacecraft will spend more than a month attached to the space station before its destructive re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere, disposing of 1,360 kg of trash.
- This is the first flight in a series that will include a crew change in addition to a Russian progress cargo craft leaving and another one coming to the station.
- In the near future, Boeing and United Launch Alliance plan to use the Atlas V to launch astronauts to the station in the CST-100 Starliner for NASA’s Commercial Crew Programme.
- SpaceX is preparing its own spacecraft combination — Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon — to carry astronauts to the station in the near future.
- Private companies were exploring the opportunities of launching versatile but simple spacecraft that could be used in groups for everything from establishing rapid communication links to weather forecasting.
The first unit of the Yeramarus Thermal Power Station (YTPS) has successfully completed the trial run by generating power continuously for 72 hours. The first generating unit of the newly set ...READ MORE
What is Kambala? Kambala is an annual festival celebrated in the Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka. The festival involves the traditional buffalo race, a popular and unique sport among the farming ...READ MORE
The twin cities of Hubballi-Dharwad will host the State Level Olympics Games from February 3 to 10 and 275 gold, silver and bronze medals each would be awarded in as ...READ MORE
Religious diktat enforced more than a millennium ago can have repercussions in genetic make-up of modern-day Indians. This is the result of a study of numerous communities undertaken by researchers from ...READ MORE
Municipalities are empowered to levy taxes on i) buildings or lands or both (property tax), ii) advertisements, iii) toll on vehicles other than those taxed under Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation ...READ MORE
Inflow in the Netravathi to the Thumbe vented dam, which supplies drinking water to the city, has dropped by 50% in a month. It might force the Mangaluru City Corporation to ...READ MORE
The remaining will have to come from the State government or through private-public partnership. The larger the area, more the burden on the State government. Unlike the last year, when Rs ...READ MORE
Revenue surplus is Rs. 8,751 cr. in the first six months of financial year 2016-17 Karnataka has a comfortable cash position and there is no need to avail loans from the ...READ MORE
The Cabinet on 15th Feb gave in-principle approval for implementing the long-pending Mekedatu multipurpose project utilising the Cauvery river water at a cost of Rs 5,912 crore. The project will help ...READ MORE
Yermarus Thermal Power Station first unit fit for
After Jallakattu, Karnataka wakes up for “Kambala”
Karnataka: Hubballi-Dharwad to host State Olympics Games from
Genetics throws light on genesis of caste system
Karnataka Economy – Tax Revenue & Funding Capital
Netravathi River: Inflow Drop at Thumbe Dam by
Smart City: Bengaluru’s core areas shortlisted for project
Karnataka: Mid-Year Review Shows State Cash Happy
Karnataka: Cabinet approves 5,912-cr Mekedatu reservoir project
Marital rape – Need to be criminalised?