- United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carried a cargo-laden Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft towards the International Space Station (ISS).
- It carried over 3,000 kg pounds of research material that will directly support over dozens of key investigations on the orbiting laboratory
- The mission will deliver experiments, equipment and supplies to the orbiting laboratory and its six-member crew of astronauts and cosmonauts
- The station’s current crew, known as Expeditions 45 and 46, will conduct more than 250 science and research efforts during its mission.
- Cargo carried to space on this mission includes payloads that were lost on two previous failed cargo missions.
- With the new supplies aboard the station, the crew will install the laboratory equipment including a new life science facility that will allow studies on cell cultures, bacteria and other micro-organisms.
- The astronauts will conduct experiments to survey the behaviour of gases and liquids and clarify the properties of molten steel in weightlessness.
- Cygnus will be grappled on December 9 by NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren, using the space station’s robotic arm to take hold of the spacecraft.
- The spacecraft will spend more than a month attached to the space station before its destructive re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere, disposing of 1,360 kg of trash.
- This is the first flight in a series that will include a crew change in addition to a Russian progress cargo craft leaving and another one coming to the station.
- In the near future, Boeing and United Launch Alliance plan to use the Atlas V to launch astronauts to the station in the CST-100 Starliner for NASA’s Commercial Crew Programme.
- SpaceX is preparing its own spacecraft combination — Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon — to carry astronauts to the station in the near future.
- Private companies were exploring the opportunities of launching versatile but simple spacecraft that could be used in groups for everything from establishing rapid communication links to weather forecasting.
The union government approved the hybrid annuity model for building national highways, paving the way for construction of 28 projects worth Rs. 36,000 crore this fiscal year. The move will speed ...READ MORE
Biometric attendance to weed out bogus billing Civic officials are all set to introduce the biometric system of attendance for pourakarmikas to weed out suspect bogus billing by contractors. The National Informatics ...READ MORE
Karnataka unveils booster kit for startups In a bid to boost the startup ecosystem, the state government unveiled the Startup Karnataka Booster Kit to provide easy access to necessary software tools ...READ MORE
Revenue surplus is Rs. 8,751 cr. in the first six months of financial year 2016-17 Karnataka has a comfortable cash position and there is no need to avail loans from the ...READ MORE
FAME – India is an abbreviation for Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India Government of India approved the National Mission on Electric Mobility in 2011 and subsequently ...READ MORE
Integrated Housing & Slum Development Programme (IHSDP) For taking up Housing and Slum up gradation programme in Non-BSUP cities, Integrated Housing & Slum Development Programme (IHSDP) was launched along with BSUP in December 2005. This programme combines ...READ MORE
The Rajya Sabha passed the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015, The bill seeks to make the resolution of cheque bounce cases a speedier and less inconvenient affair. It introduces an amendment that ...READ MORE
INSAT-3DR Why in News: In its tenth flight (GSLV-F05) conducted recently, India’s Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle, equipped with the indigenous Cryogenic Upper Stage (CUS), successfully launched the country’s weather satellite INSAT-3DR, ...READ MORE
The Karnataka government has entered into an agreement with French multinational software company Dassault Systems to impart both short and long-term courses in aerospace and defence sectors using 3D design ...READ MORE
All you need to know about HYBRID ANNUITY
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Startup Promotion by Karnataka Government
Karnataka: Mid-Year Review Shows State Cash Happy
FAME – India
Urban Development – Integrated Housing & Slum Development
Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Karnataka: B’luru to get Centre of Excellence in