- United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carried a cargo-laden Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft towards the International Space Station (ISS).
- It carried over 3,000 kg pounds of research material that will directly support over dozens of key investigations on the orbiting laboratory
- The mission will deliver experiments, equipment and supplies to the orbiting laboratory and its six-member crew of astronauts and cosmonauts
- The station’s current crew, known as Expeditions 45 and 46, will conduct more than 250 science and research efforts during its mission.
- Cargo carried to space on this mission includes payloads that were lost on two previous failed cargo missions.
- With the new supplies aboard the station, the crew will install the laboratory equipment including a new life science facility that will allow studies on cell cultures, bacteria and other micro-organisms.
- The astronauts will conduct experiments to survey the behaviour of gases and liquids and clarify the properties of molten steel in weightlessness.
- Cygnus will be grappled on December 9 by NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren, using the space station’s robotic arm to take hold of the spacecraft.
- The spacecraft will spend more than a month attached to the space station before its destructive re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere, disposing of 1,360 kg of trash.
- This is the first flight in a series that will include a crew change in addition to a Russian progress cargo craft leaving and another one coming to the station.
- In the near future, Boeing and United Launch Alliance plan to use the Atlas V to launch astronauts to the station in the CST-100 Starliner for NASA’s Commercial Crew Programme.
- SpaceX is preparing its own spacecraft combination — Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon — to carry astronauts to the station in the near future.
- Private companies were exploring the opportunities of launching versatile but simple spacecraft that could be used in groups for everything from establishing rapid communication links to weather forecasting.
Ballari to play host to Janapada Rangotsava from April 21 Connoisseurs of art and music are in for an audio-visual treat at the three-day national-level Janapada Rangotsava from April 21 at ...READ MORE
An estimated million people are joining India’s workforce every month, thanks to its demographic dividend of a high number of youth in the population. As of now, the only employment data ...READ MORE
Internet of Things India Congress Why in News: The first edition of ‘IoT India Congress, 2016’ was in Bengaluru. The congress aims to bring together key stakeholders across the value chain and verticals to ...READ MORE
Initiatives Taken Up Solid Waste Management: Municipal Solid Waste Management is one of the basic functions of the Municipalities. Rapid urbanization, heterogeneous nature of waste, lack of awareness among the public and various other stake ...READ MORE
Travel time between Bengaluru and Mysuru could be reduced to 90 minutes in the near future if trials with a high speed, tilting train manufactured by Spanish manufacturer Talgo conducted ...READ MORE
Below poverty line and above poverty line families will not get their monthly ration under the public distribution system from April 1, if they fail to link Aadhaar number with ...READ MORE
What is Pravasi Bharatiy Divas? Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (Non-Resident Indian Day), is celebrated in India on 9 January each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the ...READ MORE
The "Start up India Stand up India" initiative was announced by the PrimeMinister in his address to the nation on 15th August, 2015. The Stand up India component is anchored ...READ MORE
State to file revision petition in SC on quashed SC/ST promotions The Cabinet on 17th March decided to file a revision petition challenging the Supreme Court ruling which struck down the consequential ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Govt plans to institute one of its kind Annual
Internet of things
State Issues – Solid Waste Management
Talgo tilting train- between Mysore Bangalore
No PDS supplies if Aadhaar is not linked
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: State to showcase startup prowess
Stand Up India Scheme approved
18th March 2017 – Today’s Karnataka State Current
India’s naval base in Seychelles