- United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carried a cargo-laden Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft towards the International Space Station (ISS).
- It carried over 3,000 kg pounds of research material that will directly support over dozens of key investigations on the orbiting laboratory
- The mission will deliver experiments, equipment and supplies to the orbiting laboratory and its six-member crew of astronauts and cosmonauts
- The station’s current crew, known as Expeditions 45 and 46, will conduct more than 250 science and research efforts during its mission.
- Cargo carried to space on this mission includes payloads that were lost on two previous failed cargo missions.
- With the new supplies aboard the station, the crew will install the laboratory equipment including a new life science facility that will allow studies on cell cultures, bacteria and other micro-organisms.
- The astronauts will conduct experiments to survey the behaviour of gases and liquids and clarify the properties of molten steel in weightlessness.
- Cygnus will be grappled on December 9 by NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren, using the space station’s robotic arm to take hold of the spacecraft.
- The spacecraft will spend more than a month attached to the space station before its destructive re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere, disposing of 1,360 kg of trash.
- This is the first flight in a series that will include a crew change in addition to a Russian progress cargo craft leaving and another one coming to the station.
- In the near future, Boeing and United Launch Alliance plan to use the Atlas V to launch astronauts to the station in the CST-100 Starliner for NASA’s Commercial Crew Programme.
- SpaceX is preparing its own spacecraft combination — Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon — to carry astronauts to the station in the near future.
- Private companies were exploring the opportunities of launching versatile but simple spacecraft that could be used in groups for everything from establishing rapid communication links to weather forecasting.
Karnataka: Govt deposits input subsidy into drought-hit farmers' accounts The government on 14th March took measures to deposit Rs 671 crore to bank accounts of 9.68 lakh drought-hit farmers as input subsidy ...READ MORE
Elephant census to focus on areas outside forests Forest officials and conservationists, who are gearing up for the elephant census, will focus on areas outside forests as the jumbos are seen ...READ MORE
ಭಾರತೀಯ ಪುರಾತತ್ವ ಇಲಾಖೆ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ತಾಜ್ ಸಂರಕ್ಷಣೆಗೆ ಸಂಬಂಧಿಸಿ ನಡೆದ ವಿಚಾರಣೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಎಎಸ್ಐಯನ್ನು ಸುಪ್ರೀಂ ಕೋರ್ಟ್ ತರಾಟೆಗೆ ತೆಗೆದುಕೊಂಡಿತು. ವಿಶ್ವಪ್ರಸಿದ್ಧ ಪ್ರೇಮ ಸ್ಮಾರಕ, ಅಮೃತಶಿಲೆಯ ತಾಜ್ಮಹಲ್ನ ಗೋಡೆಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾಣಿಸಿಕೊಂಡಿರುವ ಪಾಚಿ ಆತಂಕಕ್ಕೆ ಕಾರಣವಾಗಿದೆ. ತಾಜ್ಮಹಲ್ನ ಇತ್ತೀಚಿನ ಚಿತ್ರಗಳನ್ನು ಪರಿಶೀಲಿಸಿದ ಪೀಠವು, ಗೋಡೆಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ರಿಮಿ ...READ MORE
Tirthahalli taluk in grip of Kyasanur Forest Disease Tirthahalli taluk continues to remain in the grip of Kyasanur Forest Disease (KFD), also known as monkey fever, as four positive cases among ...READ MORE
The BMRDA had prepared the Structure Plan in 1998 based on the availability and future prospects in respect of the natural resources and infrastructure and the trend of urbanization in the region. The Structure Plan was ...READ MORE
The Revised Master Plan 2031 has apparently laid the foundation for a perennially bigger garbage scam in the future. The Bengaluru Development Authority (BDA) has projected the city’s population to be ...READ MORE
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah launched a comprehensive web-based platform showcasing the government's performance and achievements to the citizens. Developed as the Chief Minister's dash board, 'Pratibimba,' which means reflection, will serve ...READ MORE
Union Public Service Commission on Friday (27th April) released the final result of UPSC Civil Services Exam 2017. Candidates can check their results on the commission's official website: upsc.gov.in Durishetty Anudeep, a ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the "Digital India Week" on 1st July, 2015Following are the projects and products that have been launched, or are ready for deployment, as part of ...READ MORE
What in News: Special package for polyhouse farming Agriculture Minister C. Krishna Byregowda has said a special package will be formulated to provide loans at lower rate of interest to construct polyhouses ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Today’s Current Affairs – 15th March 2017
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
“10th ಮೇ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka State Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC
Urban Development: Structure Plan & BBMP
Bengaluru: Waste figures for 2031 inflated
Karnataka: CM launches ‘Pratibimba’ website to project achievements
UPSC Civil Services 2017 examinations results announced, Durishetty
Government Programme Made easy: Karnataka Polyhouse farming