- United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carried a cargo-laden Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft towards the International Space Station (ISS).
- It carried over 3,000 kg pounds of research material that will directly support over dozens of key investigations on the orbiting laboratory
- The mission will deliver experiments, equipment and supplies to the orbiting laboratory and its six-member crew of astronauts and cosmonauts
- The station’s current crew, known as Expeditions 45 and 46, will conduct more than 250 science and research efforts during its mission.
- Cargo carried to space on this mission includes payloads that were lost on two previous failed cargo missions.
- With the new supplies aboard the station, the crew will install the laboratory equipment including a new life science facility that will allow studies on cell cultures, bacteria and other micro-organisms.
- The astronauts will conduct experiments to survey the behaviour of gases and liquids and clarify the properties of molten steel in weightlessness.
- Cygnus will be grappled on December 9 by NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren, using the space station’s robotic arm to take hold of the spacecraft.
- The spacecraft will spend more than a month attached to the space station before its destructive re-entry into the Earth’s atmosphere, disposing of 1,360 kg of trash.
- This is the first flight in a series that will include a crew change in addition to a Russian progress cargo craft leaving and another one coming to the station.
- In the near future, Boeing and United Launch Alliance plan to use the Atlas V to launch astronauts to the station in the CST-100 Starliner for NASA’s Commercial Crew Programme.
- SpaceX is preparing its own spacecraft combination — Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon — to carry astronauts to the station in the near future.
- Private companies were exploring the opportunities of launching versatile but simple spacecraft that could be used in groups for everything from establishing rapid communication links to weather forecasting.
Why Kirishi Bhagya In India, it is estimated that about 6, 000 million tons of top soil are lost annually along with valuable plant nutrients. This along with inappropriate nutrient management practices ...READ MORE
Karnataka unveils booster kit for startups In a bid to boost the startup ecosystem, the state government unveiled the Startup Karnataka Booster Kit to provide easy access to necessary software tools ...READ MORE
Faced with acute water shortage, particularly during the summer months, Bengaluru is struggling hard to cope . If this is the scenario now, how scary will it be in 2031? ...READ MORE
Homeless rural residents of Karnataka will now get additional funds to build their houses In a first for the country, the State government has decided to dovetail funds meant for subsidised ...READ MORE
After a dismal 2015 of mass refugee flows, war and catastrophe, leading U.N. agencies and their partners announced that they are seeking over $20 billion in funding next year — ...READ MORE
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
"A King Cobra has been run over by a vehicle on Castle Rock Main Road passing through the Castle Rock Wildlife Range of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve." Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve is the fourth ...READ MORE
Self Employment Programme The Government of India, Ministry of Rural Development has restructured SGSY as “Aajeevika”- National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) and being implemented from 2010-2011. The State Government is implementing this ...READ MORE
Deposit Contribution Works Karnataka Housing Board has undertaken deposit contribution works as per entrustment by the Government. Up to October 2015 the details of works taken and progress is as follows - 475 building projects ...READ MORE
Rural Energy Programmes National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP), Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy -2009 and Soura Belaku are the three programmes implemented under Rural Energy sector. National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP) Biogas is a clean, ...READ MORE
NammaKPSC ClassRoom: What and Why Kirishi Bhagya
Startup Promotion by Karnataka Government
Bengaluru’s water needs in 2031: Master Plan paints
Rural poor in state get MNREGA support to
UN agencies appeal for humanitarian funding
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
Rural Development-Self Employment Programme
Urban Development – Housing Schemes
Rural Development-Rural Energy Programmes-National Biogas Manure and Management