As per Agriculture Census 2010-11,
- Total number of operational holdings were estimated as 138.35 million.
- The total operated area was 159.59 million hectare.
- The average size of the holding has been estimated as 1.15 hectare. The average size of holdings has shown a steady declining trend over various Agriculture Censuses since, 1970-71.
- The Size Group wise percentage of number and area of operational holdings are given in the following table.
|Sl.No||Size-Group||Percentage of number of operational holdings to total||Percentage of area operated to total|
|1||Marginal (below 1.00 ha.)||67.10||22.50|
|2||Small (1.00 – 2.00 ha.)||17.91||22.08|
|3||Semi-medium (2.00 – 4.00 ha.)||10.04||23.63|
|4||Medium (4.00 – 10.00 ha.)||4.25||21.20|
|5||Large (10.00 ha. & above)||0.70||10.59|
- The Gross Cropped Area (GCA) was estimated at 193.76 million hectare.
- The nine States, viz., Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and West Bengal together account for about 78 per cent of the Gross Cropped Area in the country.
- Out of the total 64.57 million hectare Net Irrigated Area, 48.16 percent is accounted by Small and Marginal holdings, 43.77 percent by Semi-medium & Medium holdings and 8.07 percent by Large holdings.
- The Cropping Intensity as per Agriculture Census 2010-11 works out to 1.37.
- For 96.95 per cent of operational holdings, entire operated area was located within the village of residence.
- Among various sources of irrigation, Tube-wells was main source of irrigation followed by canals.
- All India level, during 2010-11, the proportion of net irrigated area to net area sown was 45.70 percent.
Agriculture Census in India
- Agriculture Census in India is conducted at five yearly intervals for collection of information about structural aspects of agricultural holdings in the country.
- The basic statistical unit for data collection is ‘Operational Holding’.
- The reference year for the present Census was Agriculture Year 2010-11 (July-June).
- Agriculture Census data is collected in three phases.
- During Phase-I, data is collected on primary characteristics such as number and area of operational holdings.
- In Phase-II, detailed data is collected on sample basis from 20 per cent villages covering characteristics such as tenancy, land use, irrigation, cropping pattern, dispersal of holding etc.
- During Phase-III, generally referred to as Input Survey, data is collected on pattern of use of inputs.
- The concept of agricultural operational holdings does not include those holdings which are not operating any agricultural land and are engaged exclusively in livestock, poultry and fishing etc. On the basis of operated area, operational holdings in Agriculture Census are categorized as follows:-
|1||Marginal holdings||Below 1.00 hectare|
|2||Small holdings||1.00 – 2.00 hectares|
|3||Semi-Medium holdings||2.00 – 4.00 hectares|
|4||Medium holdings||4.00 – 10.00 hectares|
|5||Large holdings||10.00 hectares and above|
Earth’s magnetic fields Topic: Geography In News: A team of researchers from California Institute of Technology, U.S. and the University of Tokyo has shown that humans do indeed unconsciously respond to the ...READ MORE
The State government has borrowed Rs 90,000 crore during the last four years. The total debt stock in 2012-13, when the present Congress government came to power, stood at Rs 1.18 ...READ MORE
Good Samaritan Bill gets President’s nod President Ram Nath Kovind has given his assent to the Karnataka Good Samaritan and Medical Professional (Protection and Regulation During Emergency Situations) Bill, 2016. The President gave assent ...READ MORE
Towards restorative criminal justice Purpose for which crminal justice was set up : securing life and property. Issues with the way criminal justice is designed and administered today No deterrance- because of the ...READ MORE
Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management Award Topic: Governance In news: India wins CAPM Award 2018.The CAPAM Awards celebrate the spirit of innovation in the public service by recognizing organizations that ...READ MORE
ರೈಲ್ವೆ: ದೂರು ನೀಡಲು ‘ಮದದ್’ ರೈಲು ಪ್ರಯಾಣಿಕರು ಇನ್ನುಮುಂದೆ ತಮ್ಮ ದೂರುಗಳನ್ನು ದಾಖಲಿಸಲು ಟ್ವಿಟರ್, ಫೇಸ್ಬುಕ್, ಸಹಾಯವಾಣಿ ಇವುಗಳನ್ನು ಬಳಸುವ ಅವಶ್ಯವಿಲ್ಲ. ದೂರು, ಅಹವಾಲುಗಳನ್ನು ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಲು ಅನುಕೂಲವಾಗುವಂತೆ ‘ಪ್ರಯಾಣದ ವೇಳೆ ನೆರವಿಗೆ ಮೊಬೈಲ್ ಆ್ಯಪ್’ (ಮದದ್=ಸಹಾಯ) ಎಂಬ ಹೆಸರಿನ ಮೊಬೈಲ್ ಆ್ಯಪ್ ಅನ್ನು ...READ MORE
Research undertaken by has revealed that feral fish are causing the decline of presence of other species of Major Indian Carps, Minor Indian Carps and Catfish in river Krishna damaging ...READ MORE
The famed Mysore Dasara also called the Nadahabba (state-festival) of the state is scheduled to be held from October 1 to 11, this year and here is what you should know. Poet Kanavi to ...READ MORE
ಬೆಳುವಾಯಿ ಚಿಟ್ಟೆ ಪಾರ್ಕ್ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಮೂಡುಬಿದಿರೆ ಸಮೀಪದ ಬೆಳುವಾಯಿಯಲ್ಲಿರುವ ಸಮ್ಮಿಲನ್ ಶೆಟ್ಟಿ ಅವರ ಚಿಟ್ಟೆ ಪಾರ್ಕ್ ವರ್ಲ್ಡ್ ಬುಕ್ ಆಫ್ ರೆಕಾರ್ಡ್ನಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ಥಾನ ಪಡೆದಿದೆ. ಗ್ರಾಮೀಣ ಭಾಗದಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ಥಾಪನೆಯಾಗಿರುವ ಚಿಟ್ಟೆಪಾರ್ಕ್ ಈಗ ಅಂತಾರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಮನ್ನಣೆ ಪಡೆದಿದೆ. ಬೆಳುವಾಯಿ ಗ್ರಾಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಸಮ್ಮಿಲನ್ ಶೆಟ್ಟಿ ನಿರ್ವಿುಸಿದ ...READ MORE
ಹಣದುಬ್ಬರವನ್ನು ತಡೆಗಟ್ಟಲು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಮೊದಲ ಬಾರಿಗೆ ರಿಸರ್ವ್ ಬ್ಯಾಂಕ್ ಜೊತೆಗೆ ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ಚೌಕಟ್ಟು ಒಪ್ಪಂದ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಂಡಿದೆ. ಏನಿದು ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ಚೌಕಟ್ಟು ಒಪ್ಪಂದ?: ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಮತ್ತು ಭಾರತೀಯ ರಿಸರ್ವ್ ಬ್ಯಾಂಕ್ ಫೆಬ್ರುವರಿ 20, 2015ರಲ್ಲಿ Monetary Policy Framework Agreement ಅಥವಾ ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ...READ MORE
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 29th March
K’taka: State govt’s debt stock mounts to whopping
Karnataka Current Affair – KAS/KPSC Exams – 1st
Towards restorative criminal justice
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 26th October
“16th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Biodiversity of fish threatened in krishna
Mysore Dasara: An insight into the Nadahabba
“23rd & 24th ಜೂನ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
ಹಣದುಬ್ಬರ ತಡೆಗಟ್ಟಲು ಆರ್ ಬಿಐ ಜೊತೆ ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ಒಪ್ಪಂದ