- This is the result of a study of numerous communities undertaken by researchers from the National Institute of BioMedical Genomics in West Bengal. Researchers analyse genotype data of 367 individuals drawn from 20 ethnic populations
- The study was published in the latest issue of the journal PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America).The study looked at the genes of various communities to answer questions that have often been suggested in history books: when did caste become the dominant norm for ethnic communities of the region.
- The team has found, through genetic analysis, that the country’s billion inhabitants have a far more complex origin than previously imagined. However, in the complexities of genes lie the secret of one of the country’s most persistent practices: the caste system.
- For most upper-caste communities, endogamy (that is marrying within one’s caste) started nearly 70 generations ago, or around the time of the Hindu Gupta period around 1,500 years ago
- A lot of social transformation took place during the Gupta period. Notable among these was the enforcement of social strictures against marriage between castes, as enshrined in the Dharmasastra
- By looking at “ancient” genes within modern genomes, the scientists have been able to figure out when the “mixing” of genes ended — that is, when the caste system closed its grasp.
- The results point to the Gupta period, nearly 1,500 years ago, when many historians believe prohibition of marriage between castes was enshrined in the Dharmasastra. Similarly, other communities can trace their caste consolidation to kingdoms such as Rashtrakutas or the Pala dynasty, shows the study.
As per Registrar General of India, Sample Registration System (SRS) 2013, the Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) is 40 per 1000 live births. the Neonatal Mortality Rate (NMR) is 28 per 1000 live ...READ MORE
The government’s electronic intelligence monitoring system , the Central Monitoring System (CMS), will become operational by March 2016 Centralised Monitoring System (CMS) will be set up to automate the process of ...READ MORE
150 acres of wetlands that can be preserved identified With advice from a retired professor and Indian Institute of Science researchers, the Karnataka Lake Conservation and Development Authority (KLCDA) has identified ...READ MORE
ಮೇಕ್ ಇನ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಪರಿಚಯ: ಒಂದು ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಹೊಸ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮ. ಇದನ್ನು ಹೂಡಿಕೆಗೆ ಅನುಕೂಲಕರವಾಗಿ ವಿನ್ಯಾಸಗೊಳಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ನಾವೀನ್ಯತೆಯ ಪ್ರೋತ್ಸಾಹ, ಕೌಶಲ್ಯ ಅಭಿವೃದ್ಧಿ ಹೆಚ್ಚಿಸಲು, ಬೌದ್ಧಿಕ ಆಸ್ತಿಯನ್ನು ರಕ್ಷಿಸಲು ಮತ್ತು ಅತ್ಯುತ್ತಮ ದರ್ಜೆಯ ಉತ್ಪಾದನ ಸೌಕರ್ಯವನ್ನು ನಿರ್ಮಿಸಲು ಜಾಗತಿಕ ಉತ್ಪಾದನೆಯ ಭೂಪಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಭಾರತವನ್ನು ಅಗ್ರಸ್ಥಾನಕ್ಕೇರಿಸುವ ...READ MORE
Govt to ensure private firms enforce retirement age rule The labour department will conduct inspections to ensure that employers implement the state government’s decision to enhance the retirement age of employees ...READ MORE
The process of getting fish-catch data related to inland fisheries is expected to get revolutionised with the development of a mobile-based application.The app, which has been developed by the Central ...READ MORE
Pradhana Manthri Gram Sadak yojana (PMGSY) PMGSY was launched in the State during December 2000 with the objective of providing rural connectivity through all weather roads to the habitations having a population of 500 and above. Under ...READ MORE
Food production in Karnataka is set to fall short of the stated target by a whopping 35% in the current financial year on account of successive years of drought. The state ...READ MORE
Scientific name: Gazella bennetti About the animal Indian Gazelles are called shy animals as they always act themselves as an alert nature and usually it roams alone in the wild regions. Not very ...READ MORE
Chief Minister In the Republic of India, a chief minister is the head of government of each of twenty-nine states and two union territories (Delhi and Puducherry). Chief Minister’s position in state is ...READ MORE
Infant Mortality- Status
Central Monitoring System
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
ಮೇಕ್ ಇನ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ
Karnataka State Updates for KAS/KPSC Exams – 26th
Fishery Friends- Karnataka
Rural Development-Rural Roads InfrastructurePradhana Manthri Gram Sadak Yojana
Karnataka : Food production set to fall 35%
Everything you need to know about Chief Ministers