- This is the result of a study of numerous communities undertaken by researchers from the National Institute of BioMedical Genomics in West Bengal. Researchers analyse genotype data of 367 individuals drawn from 20 ethnic populations
- The study was published in the latest issue of the journal PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America).The study looked at the genes of various communities to answer questions that have often been suggested in history books: when did caste become the dominant norm for ethnic communities of the region.
- The team has found, through genetic analysis, that the country’s billion inhabitants have a far more complex origin than previously imagined. However, in the complexities of genes lie the secret of one of the country’s most persistent practices: the caste system.
- For most upper-caste communities, endogamy (that is marrying within one’s caste) started nearly 70 generations ago, or around the time of the Hindu Gupta period around 1,500 years ago
- A lot of social transformation took place during the Gupta period. Notable among these was the enforcement of social strictures against marriage between castes, as enshrined in the Dharmasastra
- By looking at “ancient” genes within modern genomes, the scientists have been able to figure out when the “mixing” of genes ended — that is, when the caste system closed its grasp.
- The results point to the Gupta period, nearly 1,500 years ago, when many historians believe prohibition of marriage between castes was enshrined in the Dharmasastra. Similarly, other communities can trace their caste consolidation to kingdoms such as Rashtrakutas or the Pala dynasty, shows the study.
ರೈತರ ಕೃಷಿ ಉತ್ಪನ್ನಗಳನ್ನು ಪಟ್ಟಣದ ಮಾರುಕಟ್ಟೆಗೆ ಸುರಕ್ಷಿತವಾಗಿ ಸಾಗಿಸುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಮತ್ತು ಗ್ರಾಮೀಣ ಪ್ರದೇಶದ ಜನರಿಗೂ ಉತ್ತಮ ಸಂಪರ್ಕ ರಸ್ತೆ ಅನುಕೂಲ ಕಲ್ಪಿಸುವ ಯೋಜನೆ. ರಸ್ತೆ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣಗೊಂಡ ನಂತರದ ಐದು ವರ್ಷಗಳವರೆಗೆ ಗುತ್ತಿಗೆದಾರರೇ ನಿರ್ವಹಣೆ ಮಾಡಬೇಕು, ಆರನೇ ವರ್ಷ ಮತ್ತೆ ಮರುಡಾಂಬರಿಕರಣಗೊಳಿಸಿ ಸರ್ಕಾರಕ್ಕೆ ಹಸ್ತಾಂತರಿಸುವುದು ಯೋಜನೆಯಲ್ಲಿರುವ ...READ MORE
Bengaluru tops in waterbodies with chemical pollution This is part of the findings of an analysis by the Central Pollution Control Board for the years 2013-17 More than half of the country’s ...READ MORE
For import of an aircraft following steps were necessary till now For remittance of funds for import of aircraft, the approval of the ministry was mandatory. Scheduled Operators (airlines) and Regional Scheduled ...READ MORE
Kalaburagi is now free wifi connected Kalaburagi is now wi-fi connected with the installation of a new, free wi-fi hotspot, at the city's Mahanagara Palike office premises. MP Mallikarjun Kharge inaugurated the ...READ MORE
76% of rural Karnataka ‘open defecation-free’ The State government has declared 76% of the rural population of Karnataka as not dependent on open defecation anymore. The authorities have set an ambitious target ...READ MORE
App to guide voters to nearest polling booth An app, which will be available in the Google Play Store soon, will help them navigate to the nearest polling station in the ...READ MORE
The state Cabinet decided to abolish the Karnataka Goseva Ayog (Cow Conservation Commission) constituted by the previous BJP government in 2012. The panel was set up as part of the State ...READ MORE
For the first time, Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LRSAM), jointly designed and developed by IAI, Israel and DRDO, has been successfully flight tested from an Israeli Naval Platform. ...READ MORE
The state Cabinet approved the implementation of solar power projects under distributed-generation approach wherein electricity generated will be supplied to the local community. The move will help cope with the problem ...READ MORE
‘ನಮ್ಮ ಗ್ರಾಮ ನಮ್ಮ ರಸ್ತೆ’
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 23rd
Relaxed norms for aircraft import
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 14th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 3rd
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 18th
Karnataka Cabinet Okays Abolition of Goseva Ayog
LRSAM Successfully Flight-Tested
Karnataka: Solar policy amended by cabinet
National Urban Information System