- This is the result of a study of numerous communities undertaken by researchers from the National Institute of BioMedical Genomics in West Bengal. Researchers analyse genotype data of 367 individuals drawn from 20 ethnic populations
- The study was published in the latest issue of the journal PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America).The study looked at the genes of various communities to answer questions that have often been suggested in history books: when did caste become the dominant norm for ethnic communities of the region.
- The team has found, through genetic analysis, that the country’s billion inhabitants have a far more complex origin than previously imagined. However, in the complexities of genes lie the secret of one of the country’s most persistent practices: the caste system.
- For most upper-caste communities, endogamy (that is marrying within one’s caste) started nearly 70 generations ago, or around the time of the Hindu Gupta period around 1,500 years ago
- A lot of social transformation took place during the Gupta period. Notable among these was the enforcement of social strictures against marriage between castes, as enshrined in the Dharmasastra
- By looking at “ancient” genes within modern genomes, the scientists have been able to figure out when the “mixing” of genes ended — that is, when the caste system closed its grasp.
- The results point to the Gupta period, nearly 1,500 years ago, when many historians believe prohibition of marriage between castes was enshrined in the Dharmasastra. Similarly, other communities can trace their caste consolidation to kingdoms such as Rashtrakutas or the Pala dynasty, shows the study.
Researchers have identified a brain region that links anxious temperament to low social status. In the study, researchers performed a series of experiments on rats to identify the brain areas involved ...READ MORE
ಜೀವಸತ್ವಗಳು (ವಿಟಮಿನ್) ನಮ್ಮ ದೇಹದ ವಿವಿಧ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳಿಗೆ ಅತ್ಯವಶ್ಯಕವಾಗಿ ಬೇಕಾದ ಅಂಶಗಳು. ನಾವು ಸೇವಿಸುವ ಆಹಾರದಲ್ಲಿನ ಜೀವಸತ್ವಗಳು ಪಚನವಾಗಿ ರಕ್ತದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೀರುವಂತಾಗಲು ಜಿಡ್ಡಿನಂಶದ ಅಗತ್ಯಕ್ಕೆ ಅನುಗುಣವಾಗಿ ಅವುಗಳನ್ನು ಜಿಡ್ಡಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಕರಗುವ ಮತ್ತು ನೀರಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಕರಗುವ (Water Soluble) ಜೀವಸತ್ವಗಳೆಂದು ವಿಂಗಡಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಜೀವಸತ್ವ ಎ.ಡಿ.ಇ.ಕೆ.ಗಳನ್ನು (ವಿಟಮಿನ್ ...READ MORE
Denmark the least corrupt country, India at 76th position India has climbed nine points to rank 76th in this year’s global corruption index topped by Denmark, with watchdog Transparency International calling ...READ MORE
The famed Mysore Dasara also called the Nadahabba (state-festival) of the state is scheduled to be held from October 1 to 11, this year and here is what you should know. Poet Kanavi to ...READ MORE
In an attempt to overcome severe power shortage faced by the state and to save power, Chief minister launched an ambitious programme of the Energy department called 'Hosa Belaku - ...READ MORE
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
The incidents of cross-border firing have shown a sharp decline after the border guarding forces of the two countries decided to “pick up the phone before picking up the gun”, ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Knowledge Commission (KKC) is coming out with a strategy to utilise Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) technology in the sectors of town planning, crop and forest survey, pollution monitoring, civic operations among ...READ MORE
The Surya Kiran series of military exercises are being conducted annually, alternatively in India and Nepal. Surya Kiran series of military exercises with Nepal is largest in terms of troop’s ...READ MORE
Sericulture farmers in Karnataka, India’s leading raw silk producing State, are disappointed over the Union Budget’s failure to increase the customs duty on import of raw silk. The customs duty on ...READ MORE
Anxiety is related to social status
The Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) for 2015
Mysore Dasara: An insight into the Nadahabba
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot
DG-level talks with Pak bears fruit
Study group to chart out roadmap for tapping
10th Indo-Nepal Joint Exercise Surya Kiran Commences
Sericulture farmers in state disappointed with the budget