- Seven years after the State Department was restructured to ‘de-hyphenate’ U.S. relations with India and with Pakistan, it is considering a reversal of the move.
- De-hyphenating refers to a policy started by the U.S. government under President Bush, but sealed by the Obama administration, of dealing with India and Pakistan in different silos, without referring to their bilateral relations.
- It enabled the U.S. to build closer military and strategic ties with India without factoring in the reaction from Pakistan, and to continue its own strategy in Afghanistan with the help of the Pakistan military without referring back to India.
- A proposal to re-merge the office of the Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan (SRAP) back with the Bureau of South and Central Asia (SCA) that handles India, the rest of the subcontinent and Central Asian republics is under “active” consideration
- The re-merger proposal is ostensibly timed with the international troops pullout from Afghanistan.
- The de-hyphenation policy of the U.S. was crystallised when the SRAP was set up in 2009 soon after President Barack Obama had taken over, with the appointment of Richard Holbrooke.
- At the time, Mr. Holbrooke had hoped to include India in his mandate, and even to discuss the resolution of Kashmir as a means to extract greater cooperation from Pakistan. India had strongly opposed the move.
The physical expansion and demographic growth of urban areas have exerted an adverse impact on the urban environment. The large scale conversion of agricultural land in the urban periphery for urban uses like industries, housing ...READ MORE
Forest dept to take up seed ball dispersal in big afforestation drive The Forest department has decided to rope in citizens in a big way in afforestation to take up seed ...READ MORE
ಹಣದುಬ್ಬರವನ್ನು ತಡೆಗಟ್ಟಲು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಮೊದಲ ಬಾರಿಗೆ ರಿಸರ್ವ್ ಬ್ಯಾಂಕ್ ಜೊತೆಗೆ ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ಚೌಕಟ್ಟು ಒಪ್ಪಂದ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಂಡಿದೆ. ಏನಿದು ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ಚೌಕಟ್ಟು ಒಪ್ಪಂದ?: ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಮತ್ತು ಭಾರತೀಯ ರಿಸರ್ವ್ ಬ್ಯಾಂಕ್ ಫೆಬ್ರುವರಿ 20, 2015ರಲ್ಲಿ Monetary Policy Framework Agreement ಅಥವಾ ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ...READ MORE
Forest Survey of India (FSI) has chosen Kodagu in Karnataka to implement the theoretical model of the National Forest Monitoring System (NFMS). E Vikram, deputy director, FSI, Deharadun on 2nd March ...READ MORE
Introduction ∗ Biostimulation involves the modification of the environment to stimulate existing bacteria capable of bioremediation ∗ It is the form of in situ bioremediation which uses an electron donor or acceptor ...READ MORE
Rural Energy Programmes National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP), Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy -2009 and Soura Belaku are the three programmes implemented under Rural Energy sector. National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP) Biogas is a clean, ...READ MORE
Govt rolls out Anila Bhagya for free LPG The state government on 20th Feb launched one more Bhagya scheme - Anila Bhagya (free LPG connections to BPL families) - ahead of ...READ MORE
Four new plant-eating insects that may turn out to be a potential threat to agriculture in several states have been found in Karnataka. These pests, reported for the first time in ...READ MORE
The political crisis in Uttarakhand and subsequent developments have once again catapulted a number of rather familiar questions onto the political terrain. The formation of three small States in 2000, Chhattisgarh, ...READ MORE
As the froth in Bellandur and Varthur lakes evoke shock and disgust from citizens, an 18-member expert committee formed to chalk out a solution had noticed that there were “too ...READ MORE
Urban Development – Urban Environment
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
ಹಣದುಬ್ಬರ ತಡೆಗಟ್ಟಲು ಆರ್ ಬಿಐ ಜೊತೆ ವಿತ್ತೀಯ ಒಪ್ಪಂದ
Kodagu chosen for pilot study of National Forest
Rural Development-Rural Energy Programmes-National Biogas Manure and Management
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 21st
Four new farm pests found in Karnataka
Have small states realised their goals?
Bellandur Lake: British firm offers to revive the