- Government plans to set up 2,000 waterports as well as “Ro-Ro” services at 5 select places to transport goods and vehicles
- Besides, there is a plan to develop 1,300 islands and 280 light houses as major attractions for tourists
- Government is also constructing waterways on a 1,620 kilometer stretch on the Ganga between Varanasi and Haldia and 30 water ports would be constructed there.
- Varanasi, Haldia and Sahibganj will be developed as multi-modal hubs with roadways, waterways and railways.
- Government will soon start Ro-Ro (Roll-on Roll-off) service at five places including Haldia, Patna, Varanasi and Sahibganj with the World Bank assistance. Once they are operational, trucks could be transported till the points leading to huge savings which in turn would boost economy
- Cargo transportation through river could bring the charges down to as low as 10 paise a km in comparison to Rs 1.5 per km for transportation through road and Rupee one through waterways.
- Government had initiated river traffic control system from Haldia to Farakka and the system will be introduced in next six months from Farakka to Patna and thereafter from Patna to Varanasi.
Why in News: The 17th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held on 17 and 18 September in Margarita Island, northeast of Venezuela, in ...READ MORE
More than three decades after India entered into a bilateral Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement with Mauritius, the two countries have finally renegotiated the terms of their agreement. The signing of the ...READ MORE
Drop in married women using modern family planning methods Karnataka has recorded a decline in use of modern family planning methods by married women, with just over 50 per cent of ...READ MORE
IHR are an instrument for the world to have a robust protocol for prevention, reporting, information sharing and preparedness. India is committed to becoming IHR compliant in 2016. The Goa meeting ...READ MORE
Bengaluru’s very own high-yielding tomato varieties of Arka Rakshak and Arka Samrat have helped their researchers bag a prestigious national award. A team of horticultural scientists from the Hessarghatta-based Indian Institute ...READ MORE
The Agriculture Ministry has extended by a month the deadline for States to utilise funds under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) for implementation of micro irrigation projects. About Rs. ...READ MORE
The Karnataka state has seen 144 acid attack victims since 2003-04. A large number have lost (some partially) their sight and are badly scarred. A majority of the victims are ...READ MORE
KEEPING OUR COMMITMENT TO PROVIDE QUALITY CURRENT AFFAIRS.. NammaKPSC WILL BE CONDUCTING ITS 5th FREE SESSION THIS SUNDAY DID YOU MISS READING IMPORTANT ISSUES THIS MONTH? DONT WORRY... COME THIS ...READ MORE
The second Asian Partnership on Disaster Reduction (IAP) meeting of delegates, sponsored by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) and Government of India will be held from ...READ MORE
Explained: NAM “Non Aligned Movement”- Important for IAS/KAS
India Mauritius DTAA amended
National Family Health Survey: Karnataka Related Data
Government Prioritizes International Health Regulations
Bengaluru’s tomato varieties get researchers national award
States get more time to spend funds under
Welfare of acid attack victims
FREE SUNDAY CURRENT AFFAIRS CLASS
Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction
All you need to know- Bank consolidation