- India’s Act East Policy focusses on the extended neighbourhood in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The policy which was originally conceived as an economic initiative, has gained political, strategic and cultural dimensions including establishment of institutional mechanisms for dialogue and cooperation.
- India has upgraded its relations to strategic partnership with Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan, Republic of Korea (ROK), Australia, Singapore and Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and forged close ties with all countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Further, apart from ASEAN, ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and East Asia Summit (EAS), India has also been actively engaged in regional fora such as Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD), Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) and Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA).
- Act East Policy has placed emphasis on India-ASEAN cooperation in our domestic agenda on infrastructure, manufacturing, trade, skills, urban renewal, smart cities, Make in India and other initiatives. Connectivity projects, cooperation in space, S&T and people-to-people exchanges could become a springboard for regional integration and prosperity.
The Objective of ”Act East Policy” is
- to promote economic cooperation,
- cultural ties and
- develop strategic relationship with countries in the Asia-Pacific region
- This will be done through continuous engagement at bilateral, regional and multilateral levels
- Further this leads to enhanced connectivity to the States of North Eastern Region including Arunanchal Pradesh with other countries in our neighbourhood.
North East of India
- The North East of India has been a priority in our Act East Policy (AEP).
- AEP provides an interface between North East India including the state of Arunachal Pradesh and the ASEAN region.
- Various plans at bilateral and regional levels include steady efforts to develop and strengthen connectivity of Northeast with the ASEAN region through trade, culture, people-to-people contacts and physical infrastructure (road, airport, telecommunication, power, etc.).
- Some of the major projects include Kaladan Multi-modal Transit Transport Project, the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway Project, Rhi-Tiddim Road Project, Border Haats, etc.
ASEAN-India Plan of Action
- The ASEAN-India Plan of Action for the period 2016-20 has been adopted in August 2015
- It identifies concrete initiatives and areas of cooperation along the three pillars of political-security, economic and socio-cultural.
- India continues with stepped up efforts to forge closer partnership with concerned regional and Multilateral organisation such as ASEAN, ARF, EAS, BIMSTEC, ACD, MCG and IORA.
- On the Civilizational front, Buddhist and Hindu links could be energized to develop new contacts and connectivity between people.
- On Connectivity, special efforts are being made to develop a coherent strategy, particularly for linking ASEAN with our North East.
- Measures, including building transport infrastructure, encouraging airlines to enhance connectivity in the region, contacts between academic and cultural institutions are underway.
- Our economic engagement with ASEAN has been stepped up – regional integration and implementation of projects are priorities.
- The ASEAN-India Agreement on Trade in Service and Investments has entered into force for India and seven ASEAN countries from 1 July 2015.
- The ASEAN-India Trade Negotiating Committee has been tasked to undertake a review of the ASEAN-India Trade in Goods Agreement. India has also invited ASEAN member states to participate in the International Solar Alliance which it has co-launched with France on 30 November 2015 at COP-21.
- On strategic issues, we have increasing convergence on security interests with key partners both in bilateral and multilateral format. Closer cooperation in combating terrorism, collaborating for peace and stability in the region and promotion of maritime security based on international norms and laws are being pursued.
Alarm as deadly maize pest seen in State The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) has sounded the alarm after the invasive agricultural pest Fall Armyworm ( Spodoptera frugiperda ) was discovered in ...READ MORE
"ಬೇಟಿ ಬಚಾವೋ ಬೇಟಿ ಪಡಾವೋ' ಯೋಜನೆಯ ಅಂಗವಾಗಿ ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರಕಾರವು "ಸುಕನ್ಯಾ ಸಮೃದ್ಧಿ' ಯೋಜನೆಯನ್ನು 2 ಡಿಸೆಂಬರ್ 2014ರಂದು ಬಿಡುಗಡೆ ಮಾಡಿದೆ. ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಹೆಣ್ಣು ಮಕ್ಕಳ ಭವಿಷ್ಯಕ್ಕಾಗಿ 'ಸುಕನ್ಯಾ ಸಮೃದ್ಧಿ' ಹೆಸರಿನ ಉಳಿತಾಯ ಖಾತೆಯನ್ನು ಜಾರಿಗೆ ತಂದಿದೆ. ಹೆಣ್ಣು ಮಕ್ಕಳ ಆರ್ಥಿಕ ಸ್ವಾವಲಂಬನೆಗಾಗಿ ...READ MORE
Here is the link for the PDF format: schedule-for-the-year-2017READ MORE
The Ministry of Road Transport & highways has issued a draft notification for implementation of BS-V and BS-VI norms for the automobile sector, covering the four wheeler category. The ministry has ...READ MORE
The Aadhaar enrolment in Karnataka reached a milestone on 15th Feb as it crossed the six-crore mark, after over six-and-a-half years after the exercise began. The registration in the State now ...READ MORE
Karnataka State sets up 7th pay commission The State government on 1st June constituted the seventh pay commission and appointed the former IAS officer Srinivas Murthy as its chairman. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah ...READ MORE
Govt. shelves plan to involve private developers in housing project The State government, which plans to construct one lakh houses for the poor in Bengaluru, has decided to drop the revenue-sharing ...READ MORE
New deadlines to revive Bellandur lake Four days after a fire put the spotlight back on Bellandur lake, the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA), which is the custodian of the more-than-750-acre lake, ...READ MORE
ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನ ನಿಷೇಧ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಅನಧಿಕೃತ ಫ್ಲೆಕ್ಸ್, ಬ್ಯಾನರ್ಗಳ ಹಾವಳಿ ತಡೆಯಲು ಮುಂದಿನ ಒಂದು ವರ್ಷದವರೆಗೆ ನಗರದಲ್ಲಿ ಎಲ್ಲ ರೀತಿಯ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನ ನಿಷೇಧಿಸಲು ಬಿಬಿಎಂಪಿ ಕೌನ್ಸಿಲ್ನಲ್ಲಿ ನಿರ್ಣಯ ಕೈಗೊಳ್ಳಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಹಿನ್ನಲೆ: ಹಲವು ವರ್ಷಗಳಿಂದ ಸಾಧ್ಯವಾಗದೇ ಇದ್ದ ಕೆಲಸವನ್ನು ಹೈಕೋರ್ಟ್ ಮುಖ್ಯ ನ್ಯಾಯಮೂರ್ತಿ ದಿನೇಶ್ ...READ MORE
Generic drug centre at district hospital ordered shut Minister for Urban Development Roshan Baig, who is also in-charge of Chikkamagaluru district, on 14th Sep made a surprise visit to the district ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – 9th August 2018
KPSC/KAS EXAMINATION SCHEDULE – 2017 (TENTATIVE)
Draft notification for BS-V and BS-VI norms
Karnataka: Aadhaar enrolment crosses six-crore mark
Karnataka Current Affairs for KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 11th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 21st
“7th ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 16th