- India’s Act East Policy focusses on the extended neighbourhood in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The policy which was originally conceived as an economic initiative, has gained political, strategic and cultural dimensions including establishment of institutional mechanisms for dialogue and cooperation.
- India has upgraded its relations to strategic partnership with Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan, Republic of Korea (ROK), Australia, Singapore and Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and forged close ties with all countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Further, apart from ASEAN, ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and East Asia Summit (EAS), India has also been actively engaged in regional fora such as Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD), Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) and Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA).
- Act East Policy has placed emphasis on India-ASEAN cooperation in our domestic agenda on infrastructure, manufacturing, trade, skills, urban renewal, smart cities, Make in India and other initiatives. Connectivity projects, cooperation in space, S&T and people-to-people exchanges could become a springboard for regional integration and prosperity.
The Objective of ”Act East Policy” is
- to promote economic cooperation,
- cultural ties and
- develop strategic relationship with countries in the Asia-Pacific region
- This will be done through continuous engagement at bilateral, regional and multilateral levels
- Further this leads to enhanced connectivity to the States of North Eastern Region including Arunanchal Pradesh with other countries in our neighbourhood.
North East of India
- The North East of India has been a priority in our Act East Policy (AEP).
- AEP provides an interface between North East India including the state of Arunachal Pradesh and the ASEAN region.
- Various plans at bilateral and regional levels include steady efforts to develop and strengthen connectivity of Northeast with the ASEAN region through trade, culture, people-to-people contacts and physical infrastructure (road, airport, telecommunication, power, etc.).
- Some of the major projects include Kaladan Multi-modal Transit Transport Project, the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway Project, Rhi-Tiddim Road Project, Border Haats, etc.
ASEAN-India Plan of Action
- The ASEAN-India Plan of Action for the period 2016-20 has been adopted in August 2015
- It identifies concrete initiatives and areas of cooperation along the three pillars of political-security, economic and socio-cultural.
- India continues with stepped up efforts to forge closer partnership with concerned regional and Multilateral organisation such as ASEAN, ARF, EAS, BIMSTEC, ACD, MCG and IORA.
- On the Civilizational front, Buddhist and Hindu links could be energized to develop new contacts and connectivity between people.
- On Connectivity, special efforts are being made to develop a coherent strategy, particularly for linking ASEAN with our North East.
- Measures, including building transport infrastructure, encouraging airlines to enhance connectivity in the region, contacts between academic and cultural institutions are underway.
- Our economic engagement with ASEAN has been stepped up – regional integration and implementation of projects are priorities.
- The ASEAN-India Agreement on Trade in Service and Investments has entered into force for India and seven ASEAN countries from 1 July 2015.
- The ASEAN-India Trade Negotiating Committee has been tasked to undertake a review of the ASEAN-India Trade in Goods Agreement. India has also invited ASEAN member states to participate in the International Solar Alliance which it has co-launched with France on 30 November 2015 at COP-21.
- On strategic issues, we have increasing convergence on security interests with key partners both in bilateral and multilateral format. Closer cooperation in combating terrorism, collaborating for peace and stability in the region and promotion of maritime security based on international norms and laws are being pursued.
What Country’s first, indigenous rotavirus vaccine launched The Rotavirus vaccine was developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership between the Ministry of Science Technology and the Health Ministry. Why to combat diarrhoeal deaths. How As given in ...READ MORE
Home minister G Parameshwara said that the state government has decided to provide five per cent reservation for sportspersons in the recruitments of police department. The government would do everything possible ...READ MORE
Israel Centre opens at IIMB The Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) opened its campus to an Israel Centre on Sunday which is aimed at becoming a “bridge of academic collaboration” ...READ MORE
ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹದಿಂದ ಸ್ವಚ್ಛಾಗ್ರಹ ಚಂಪಾರಣ್ ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹಕ್ಕೆ 100 ವರ್ಷ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಂಡ ಹಿನ್ನೆಲೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಬಿಹಾರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಹಮ್ಮಿಕೊಂಡಿದ್ದ 1 ವರ್ಷದ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮವನ್ನು ಅಂತ್ಯಗೊಳಿಸಲಾಯಿತು. ಈ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಪಾಲ್ಗೊಂಡಿದ್ದ ಪ್ರಧಾನಿ ನರೇಂದ್ರ ಮೋದಿ ನಿತೀಶ್ ಕುಮಾರ್ ನೇತೃತ್ವದ ಬಿಹಾರ ಸರ್ಕಾರವನ್ನು ಶ್ಲಾಘಿಸಿದರು. ರಾಜ್ಯ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಸತ್ಯಾಗ್ರಹ ದಿಂದ ಸಚ್ಛಾಗ್ರಹದತ್ತ ತಿರುಗಿದೆ ...READ MORE
Restoration of the 80-year-old house in which Jnanpith Award winner K. Shivaram Karanth spent most of his life has begun at Balavana in Puttur, 90 km from Mangaluru. The work is ...READ MORE
Escoms will have to reach for the sun to fulfil new RPOs Electricity Supply Companies (Escoms) in Karnataka will have to increasingly reach for the sun literally in the next few ...READ MORE
ಉತ್ತರ-ದಕ್ಷಿಣ ಸ್ನೇಹಮಿಲನ ಸತತ ಆರೂವರೆ ದಶಕ ಕಾಲ ಬೂದಿ ಮುಚ್ಚಿದ ಕೆಂಡದಂತಿದ್ದ ದಕ್ಷಿಣ ಹಾಗೂ ಉತ್ತರ ಕೊರಿಯಾ ಸಂಬಂಧದಲ್ಲಿ ಸುಧಾರಣೆ ತರುವ ಐತಿಹಾಸಿಕ 13 ಒಪ್ಪಂದಗಳಿಗೆ ಉಭಯ ದೇಶಗಳ ಮುಖ್ಯಸ್ಥರು ಷರಾ ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ‘ವಿಶ್ವ ಕಂಟಕ’ ಎಂಬ ಕುಖ್ಯಾತಿ ಪಡೆದ ಉತ್ತರ ಕೊರಿಯಾ ...READ MORE
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
Air quality remained abysmal on Dec 1st , with four of the seven monitoring stations reporting the “severe” warning during the morning. The situation improved slightly by 7 p.m. due to ...READ MORE
One cannot directly go to a private hospital for treatment under a government health scheme. First need to visit a government hospital &only when doctors refer to private hospitals owing to ...READ MORE
India’s rotavirus vaccine launched
Karnataka will reserve 5% jobs in police force
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 6th
“12th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karanth’s house being restored
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 24th August
“28th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
Poor AQI in Delhi
Health Scheme: Patients have to visit govt hospitals