- India’s Act East Policy focusses on the extended neighbourhood in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The policy which was originally conceived as an economic initiative, has gained political, strategic and cultural dimensions including establishment of institutional mechanisms for dialogue and cooperation.
- India has upgraded its relations to strategic partnership with Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Japan, Republic of Korea (ROK), Australia, Singapore and Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and forged close ties with all countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Further, apart from ASEAN, ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and East Asia Summit (EAS), India has also been actively engaged in regional fora such as Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD), Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) and Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA).
- Act East Policy has placed emphasis on India-ASEAN cooperation in our domestic agenda on infrastructure, manufacturing, trade, skills, urban renewal, smart cities, Make in India and other initiatives. Connectivity projects, cooperation in space, S&T and people-to-people exchanges could become a springboard for regional integration and prosperity.
The Objective of ”Act East Policy” is
- to promote economic cooperation,
- cultural ties and
- develop strategic relationship with countries in the Asia-Pacific region
- This will be done through continuous engagement at bilateral, regional and multilateral levels
- Further this leads to enhanced connectivity to the States of North Eastern Region including Arunanchal Pradesh with other countries in our neighbourhood.
North East of India
- The North East of India has been a priority in our Act East Policy (AEP).
- AEP provides an interface between North East India including the state of Arunachal Pradesh and the ASEAN region.
- Various plans at bilateral and regional levels include steady efforts to develop and strengthen connectivity of Northeast with the ASEAN region through trade, culture, people-to-people contacts and physical infrastructure (road, airport, telecommunication, power, etc.).
- Some of the major projects include Kaladan Multi-modal Transit Transport Project, the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway Project, Rhi-Tiddim Road Project, Border Haats, etc.
ASEAN-India Plan of Action
- The ASEAN-India Plan of Action for the period 2016-20 has been adopted in August 2015
- It identifies concrete initiatives and areas of cooperation along the three pillars of political-security, economic and socio-cultural.
- India continues with stepped up efforts to forge closer partnership with concerned regional and Multilateral organisation such as ASEAN, ARF, EAS, BIMSTEC, ACD, MCG and IORA.
- On the Civilizational front, Buddhist and Hindu links could be energized to develop new contacts and connectivity between people.
- On Connectivity, special efforts are being made to develop a coherent strategy, particularly for linking ASEAN with our North East.
- Measures, including building transport infrastructure, encouraging airlines to enhance connectivity in the region, contacts between academic and cultural institutions are underway.
- Our economic engagement with ASEAN has been stepped up – regional integration and implementation of projects are priorities.
- The ASEAN-India Agreement on Trade in Service and Investments has entered into force for India and seven ASEAN countries from 1 July 2015.
- The ASEAN-India Trade Negotiating Committee has been tasked to undertake a review of the ASEAN-India Trade in Goods Agreement. India has also invited ASEAN member states to participate in the International Solar Alliance which it has co-launched with France on 30 November 2015 at COP-21.
- On strategic issues, we have increasing convergence on security interests with key partners both in bilateral and multilateral format. Closer cooperation in combating terrorism, collaborating for peace and stability in the region and promotion of maritime security based on international norms and laws are being pursued.
1,07,354 BPL beneficiaries to get LPG connection Minister for Social Welfare and district in-charge H. Anjaneya has said that below poverty line and anthodaya card holders would be given free LPG ...READ MORE
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday publicly spiked a proposal of the food and civil supplies department to provide cash coupons to BPL ration cardholders instead of food grains. Speaking after launching ...READ MORE
India launches 2nd IT corridor in China to gain access to big Chinese market India today (29th May) launched its second IT corridor in China to cash in on the burgeoning ...READ MORE
ಕೆಮ್ಮಣ್ಣುಗುಂಡಿ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಊಟಿ ಎಂದೇ ಹೆಸರಾದ ಪ್ರವಾಸಿತಾಣ ಕೆಮ್ಮಣ್ಣುಗುಂಡಿ(ಶ್ರೀ ಕೃಷ್ಣರಾಜೇಂದ್ರ ಗಿರಿಧಾಮ)ಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾಡುಪ್ರಾಣಿಗಳ ಕಾಟ ಹಾಗೂ ಪ್ರವಾಸಿಗರ ಸುರಕ್ಷತೆಗಾಗಿ ಚೈನ್ ಲಿಂಕ್ ಮೆಷ್ ಫೆನ್ಸಿಂಗ್ ಅಳವಡಿಸಲು ರಾಜ್ಯ ತೋಟಗಾರಿಕೆ ಇಲಾಖೆ ಮುಂದಾಗಿದೆ. ಕಡವೆಗಳು, ಕಾಡು ಕುರಿಗಳಿಂದ ಗಿರಿಧಾಮ ರಕ್ಷಿಸುವುದು ಹಾಗೂ ಗಾರ್ಡನ್ ...READ MORE
A worrying re-emergence of diphtheria in Malappuram district of kerala, is putting at risk considerable swathes of its population. Atleast two children died of Diphtheria this year. Over a dozen Malappuram ...READ MORE
Water situation in Udupi deteriorates The drinking water problem in the city is worsening with the water levels at the Baje Dam on the Swarna at Baje village, from where water ...READ MORE
ಕನ್ನಡಿಗನ ಬೆಳ್ಳಿ ಬೆಳಕು ದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ಸ್ವರ್ಣ ಹೊಳಪು ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಕರಾವಳಿ ಹುಡುಗ ಗುರುರಾಜ್ ಆಸ್ಟ್ರೇಲಿಯಾದಲ್ಲಿ ನಡೆಯುತ್ತಿರುವ 21ನೇ ಕಾಮನ್ವೆಲ್ತ್ ಗೇಮ್ಸ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಮೊದಲ ದಿನವೇ ರಜತ ಗೆದ್ದು ಭಾರತದ ಪದಕದ ಖಾತೆ ತೆರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಈ ಮೂಲಕ ಕ್ರೀಡಾ ಪ್ರೇಮಿಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಡಬಲ್ ಸಂಭ್ರಮ ಹರಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ಮಣಿಪುರದ ...READ MORE
State govt. tells HC it has powers to recognise a community as minority The State government on 15th March claimed it has the powers, not only to consider the demand for ...READ MORE
Pressure mounts on State to reduce VAT on petrol, diesel With Gujarat, Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh reducing Value Added Tax (VAT) on fuel from Wednesday, towing the line of the Centre ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 28th
Karnataka: Govt to provide cash coupons instead of
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 29th
“19 ಜೂನ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
After Diphtheria Deaths, Kerala Launches Vaccination Drive
Karnataka Current affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
“6th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 17th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 12th-13th
Infrastructure projects underway in Karnataka