- Falco amurensis
- IUCN- Least Concern
- Conservation efforts in Nagaland, India
- Amur Falcon is a small raptor of the falcon family.Its a small, slender, pigeon-sized bird of prey, and is noteworthy for undertaking one of the longest and most arduous annual migrations of any bird of prey
- It breeds in south-eastern Siberia and Northern China before migrating in large flocks across India and over the Arabian Sea to winter in Southern Africa
- Males are dark grey with reddish brown thighs and undertail coverts; reddish orange eye-ring, cere, and feet. Females are duller above, with dark scaly markings on white underparts, an orange eye ring, cere, and legs. Only a pale wash of rufous is visible on their thighs and undertail coverts.
- Their diet consists mainly of insects, such as termites; during migration over the sea, they are thought to feed on migrating dragonflies.
- Amur Falcons are marathon migrants that pass through Nagaland on their migratory course to southern Africa from Far East Russia.
- They migrate in a broad front through India then over the Arabian Sea to reach southern Africa.
- Birds going over India are thought to be aided by strong winds blowing westward. These winds are strong at an altitude of about 3000m and the birds are thought to fly at a height of above 1000m during migration.
- The breeding season is May to June and several pairs may nest close together. Abandoned nest platforms belonging to birds of prey or corvids and even tree hollows are re-used for nesting.
Status and conservation
- The wide breeding range and large population size of the Amur falcon have led to the species being assessed as being of least concern.
- The flocking behaviour during migration and the density at which they occur, however, expose them to hunting and other threats. During their migration from their breeding area to the winter quarters, they are plump and are hunted for food in parts of northeastern India as well as in eastern Africa.
Currently in news
- Doyang is a rockfill dam and hydroelectric plant on the Doyang River, a tributary of Brahmaputra, 30 km from Wokha town in Nagaland run by the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation (NEEPCO).
- It is here that one of the largest congregations of birds anywhere in the world takes place every October during the Amur Falcon migration.
- The falcons descend to forested patches along the banks of the Doyang reservoir to roost at night.
- Earlier,Naga tribesmen used to hunt thousands of Amur falcons for meat. Hunters used to ruthlessly exploit this and set-up huge fishing nets all over the roosting .The birds used to get caught in the nets in large numbers. The hunters would come every morning to remove the trapped birds. Trapped birds were sold locally or sent to markets.
- After the 2012 season, several conservation initiatives were initiated to save the falcons the following year (and beyond). One of them is the ‘Friends of the Amur Falcon’ campaign which kicked off the “training the trainer” workshop to prepare participants to help educate children in the villages through Eco Clubs
- The Environment Minister announced that the Centre will soon develop the Doyang Lake area as an eco-tourism spot for bird-watchers across the world to have a wonderful and rare sight of Amur Falcons
- The world has recognized Pangti village in Nagaland as the world’s Amur Falcon capital, as more than one million birds can be seen in just 30 minutes. It is a very rare sight
New software detects GST defaulters with tax liability of nearly Rs. 400 crore Analysis of data after the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime was implemented in July last year in ...READ MORE
‘ರಾಮಾಯಣ ದರ್ಶನ’ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ರಾಮಾಯಣಕ್ಕೆ ಸಂಬಂಧಿಸಿದ ಬಹುತೇಕ ಸ್ಥಳಗಳ ದರ್ಶನವನ್ನು ರೈಲಿನ ಮೂಲಕ ಮಾಡಿಸುವ ವಿನೂತನ ಪ್ರಯೋಗಕ್ಕೆ ಭಾರತೀಯ ರೈಲ್ವೆ ಇಲಾಖೆ ಮುಂದಾಗಿದೆ. ಅಯೋಧ್ಯದಿಂದ ರಾಮೇಶ್ವರ ಮಾರ್ಗವಾಗಿ ಕೋಲೊಂಬೊವರೆಗೆ 16 ದಿನಗಳ ಪ್ರಯಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಈ ಸ್ಥಳಗಳ ದರ್ಶನ ಭಾಗ್ಯ ಪ್ರಯಾಣಿಕರಿಗೆ ಸಿಗಲಿದೆ. ‘ಶ್ರೀ ...READ MORE
An estimated million people are joining India’s workforce every month, thanks to its demographic dividend of a high number of youth in the population. As of now, the only employment data ...READ MORE
Under Centrally Sponsored UIDSSMT (mission period) scheme, out of the 38 projects sanctioned for the State, 28 projects are completed. The central government has released an amount of Rs.534.97 crore for ...READ MORE
Special ballet on Gandhiji to be launched on 9th Aug A special ballet created by Rangayana Dharwad on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi will be inaugurated at ...READ MORE
ವಾಣಿಜ್ಯ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ ?ಸರಕಾರಿ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳ ಪ್ರಚಾರ ಹೊರತುಪಡಿಸಿ, ಇತರೆ ಎಲ್ಲ ವಾಣಿಜ್ಯ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನಗಳನ್ನು ಶಾಶ್ವತವಾಗಿ ನಿಷೇಧಿಸುವ ಸಂಬಂಧ ಬಿಬಿಎಂಪಿಯು ನೂತನ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ನೀತಿ ಮತ್ತು ಬೈಲಾ ಸಿದ್ಧಪಡಿಸಿದೆ. ಇದು ಒಂದೆರಡು ತಿಂಗಳಲ್ಲೇ ಜಾರಿಗೆ ಬರಲಿದೆ. ಅಂಗಡಿ-ಮುಂಗಟ್ಟುಗಳ ನಾಮಫಲಕಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಉತ್ಪನ್ನಗಳ ...READ MORE
The government has declared the National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Khaplang (NSCN-K) a terrorist organisation under the stringent provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 It is the 39th outfit to enter ...READ MORE
Two reports released on Thursday, one at the global level and the other India-specific, say the country is on track to meet only two (under-five overweight and exclusive breastfeeding rates) ...READ MORE
Ease of Living Index Why in news? Mangaluru city has ranked 41st in the country and top in the State in the Ease of Living Index 2018 released by the Union Ministry ...READ MORE
ಹಿರಿಯ ನಾಗರಿಕರ ಜೀವನನಿರ್ವಹಣೆ ವಿಶೇಷ ಕಾಯ್ದೆ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಮಕ್ಕಳು ಕಿರುಕುಳ ನೀಡಿದರೆ ಅಥವಾ ಆರೈಕೆಯನ್ನು ಕಡೆಗಣಿಸಿದರೆ ಉಡುಗೊರೆಯಾಗಿ ನೀಡಿದ್ದ ಆಸ್ತಿಯ ಭಾಗವನ್ನು ವೃದ್ಧ ಪಾಲಕರು ಹಿಂಪಡೆಯಬಹುದು ಎಂದು ಬಾಂಬೆ ಹೈಕೋರ್ಟ್ ಮಹತ್ವದ ಆದೇಶ ಹೊರಡಿಸಿದೆ. ನ್ಯಾಯಮೂರ್ತಿಗಳಾದ ರಂಜಿತ್ ಮೊರೆ ಮತ್ತು ಅನುಜಾ ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 20th
9th & 10th July ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ
Govt plans to institute one of its kind Annual
Urban Infrastructure Development Scheme for Small and Medium
Karnataka Current Affairs – 8th August 2018
“29th ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Centre declares NSCN(K) terrorist organisation
State of nutrition in the country
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 14th August
17th ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ16th ಜುಲೈ 2018