- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is an International Biosphere Reserve in the Western Ghats and Nilgiri Hills ranges of South India. The Western Ghats, Nilgiri Sub-Cluster (6,000+ km²), conjoining the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, is a World Heritage Site declared by UNESCO in 2012.
- It includes the Mudumalai, Mukurthi, Wayanad and Bandipur national parks.
- The reserve encompasses 5,520 km² in the states of Tamil Nadu (2537.6 km²), Karnataka (1527.4 km²) and Kerala(1455.4 km²). It forms an almost complete ring around the Nilgiri Plateau.
Flora and Fauna
- The reserve extends from the tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests, tropical moist forests of the western slopes of the Ghats to the tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forests tropical dry forests on the east slopes. Rainfall ranges from 500mm to 7000mm per year. The reserve encompasses three ecoregions, the South Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, South Western Ghats montane rain forests, and South Deccan Plateau dry deciduous forests.
- Fauna includes over 100 species of mammals, 350 species of birds, 80 species of reptiles, about 39 species of fish, 31 amphibians and 316 species of butterflies. It includes thetiger, Asian elephant, Lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri tahr. It has largest population of two endangered species Lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri tahr.
- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is very rich in plant diversity. About 3,300 species of flowering plants can be seen here. Of the 3,300 species, 132 are endemic to the reserve. The genus Baeolepis is exclusively endemic to the Nilgiris. Some of the plants entirely restricted to the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve include species of Adenoon, Calacanthus, Baeolepis,Frerea, Jarodina, Wagatea, Poeciloneuron, etc.
- Of the 175 species of orchids found in the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, eight are endemic. These include endemic and endangered species of Vanda, Liparis, Bulbophyllum andThrixspermum. The sholas of the reserve are a treasure house of rare plant species.
- About 80% of flowering plants reported from Western Ghats occur in NBR.
Core and buffer areas
The 1986 designation by the Government of India established core and buffer areas within the biosphere reserve.
- Core area: 1240.3 km² (701.8 km² in Karnataka, 264.5 km² in Kerala, 274 km² in Tamil Nadu)
- Buffer area: 4280
Bengaluru to get 7 Bescom model sub-divisions by 2018 A reliable power supply with almost no fluctuation or interruption in supply, an upgrade to smart meters, better customer service, and increased ...READ MORE
Udupi man wins silver medal, brings laurels to country Gururaja Poojary, a sportsperson from Udupi district, has brought laurels to the country by winning a silver medal in the Gold Coast ...READ MORE
The Centre on 17th November told the Supreme Court that Telangana’s share of Krishna waters must be provided from the allocation determined for Andhra Pradesh before its re-organisation. Attorney General Mukul ...READ MORE
3,515 Karnataka farmers committed suicide in five years As many as 3,515 farmers in Karnataka committed suicide between April 2013 and November 2017, out of which 2,525 were due to drought ...READ MORE
HC seeks report on pollution in two villages The Karnataka High Court on 11th August directed the State government to secure a status report without any delay on allegations about illegal ...READ MORE
Fifteen primary health centres (PHCs) in six districts of Karnataka are set to get eLAJ smart clinics that will be equipped with multi-parameter monitors that enable multiple diagnostic tests and ...READ MORE
ಚುನಾವಣಾ ಸಿಬ್ಬಂದಿ ಮೇಲೆ ‘ಲೈಫ್’ ಕಣ್ಗಾವಲು ಹುಣಸೂರು ವಿಧಾನಸಭಾ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಚುನಾವಣೆ ಕರ್ತವ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿರುವ ಸೆಕ್ಟರ್ ಮತ್ತು ಫ್ಲೈಯಿಂಗ್ ಅಧಿಕಾರಿಗಳ ಮೇಲೆ ನಿಗಾ ಇಡಲು ‘ಲೈಫ್– 360’ ಎಂಬ ಆ್ಯಪ್ ಸಿದ್ಧಗೊಳಿಸಿ ಪ್ರಾಯೋಗಿಕವಾಗಿ ಅನುಷ್ಠಾನಗೊಳಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಇದು ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲೇ ಮೊದಲ ಪ್ರಯೋಗ. ಹುಣಸೂರು ಉಪವಿಭಾಗಾಧಿಕಾರಿ ಕೆ.ನಿತೀಶ್, ಪ್ರಭಾರಿ ...READ MORE
Rs. 574-crore makeover for Bengaluru roads The State Cabinet on 28th Aug approved release of Rs. 574 crore for development of roads of Bengaluru. Briefing on the Cabinet’s decisions, Law and Parliamentary ...READ MORE
The first unit of the Yeramarus Thermal Power Station (YTPS) has successfully completed the trial run by generating power continuously for 72 hours. The first generating unit of the newly set ...READ MORE
The Vijayapura civic body will set them up at an estimated cost of Rs. 70 lakh To deal with the rising garbage issue in Vijayapura city and to reduce the transportation ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 5th
Krishna Water: Karnataka Counters Telangana plea
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 27th-28th
Kanataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Primary Health Centres (PHCs) in six districts of
5th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 29th
Yermarus Thermal Power Station first unit fit for
Karnataka: Five waste segregation units to be set