- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is an International Biosphere Reserve in the Western Ghats and Nilgiri Hills ranges of South India. The Western Ghats, Nilgiri Sub-Cluster (6,000+ km²), conjoining the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, is a World Heritage Site declared by UNESCO in 2012.
- It includes the Mudumalai, Mukurthi, Wayanad and Bandipur national parks.
- The reserve encompasses 5,520 km² in the states of Tamil Nadu (2537.6 km²), Karnataka (1527.4 km²) and Kerala(1455.4 km²). It forms an almost complete ring around the Nilgiri Plateau.
Flora and Fauna
- The reserve extends from the tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests, tropical moist forests of the western slopes of the Ghats to the tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forests tropical dry forests on the east slopes. Rainfall ranges from 500mm to 7000mm per year. The reserve encompasses three ecoregions, the South Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, South Western Ghats montane rain forests, and South Deccan Plateau dry deciduous forests.
- Fauna includes over 100 species of mammals, 350 species of birds, 80 species of reptiles, about 39 species of fish, 31 amphibians and 316 species of butterflies. It includes thetiger, Asian elephant, Lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri tahr. It has largest population of two endangered species Lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri tahr.
- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is very rich in plant diversity. About 3,300 species of flowering plants can be seen here. Of the 3,300 species, 132 are endemic to the reserve. The genus Baeolepis is exclusively endemic to the Nilgiris. Some of the plants entirely restricted to the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve include species of Adenoon, Calacanthus, Baeolepis,Frerea, Jarodina, Wagatea, Poeciloneuron, etc.
- Of the 175 species of orchids found in the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, eight are endemic. These include endemic and endangered species of Vanda, Liparis, Bulbophyllum andThrixspermum. The sholas of the reserve are a treasure house of rare plant species.
- About 80% of flowering plants reported from Western Ghats occur in NBR.
Core and buffer areas
The 1986 designation by the Government of India established core and buffer areas within the biosphere reserve.
- Core area: 1240.3 km² (701.8 km² in Karnataka, 264.5 km² in Kerala, 274 km² in Tamil Nadu)
- Buffer area: 4280
The topographic setting of the city has radial slopes towards east and west with a smooth ridge running north to south; rainfall over the ridge area gets divided and flows ...READ MORE
Street children will be provided Aadhaar cards to enable them to take admission in schools and access government health services. The Standard Operating Procedure for Care and Protection of Children in ...READ MORE
Scientific name Falco amurensis Conservation status IUCN- Least Concern Conservation efforts in Nagaland, India Introduction Amur Falcon is a small raptor of the falcon family.Its a small, slender, pigeon-sized bird of prey, and is noteworthy for undertaking ...READ MORE
What is Great Canara Trail A section of the trail a 108 km route from Ulavi to Castlerock, falling within the ambit of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve is being readied, with the ...READ MORE
From March 26th Yeshwantpur-Hassan Intercity Express on new line Trains are set to chug on the new Chikbanavar-Hassan railway line with the railways setting March 26 as tentative date for the inauguration ...READ MORE
Pradhana Manthri Gram Sadak yojana (PMGSY) PMGSY was launched in the State during December 2000 with the objective of providing rural connectivity through all weather roads to the habitations having a population of 500 and above. Under ...READ MORE
The Supreme Court expressed alarm at the apparent lack of concern shown by the government’s delay in filing a response to a PIL petition against the practice of dedicating girls ...READ MORE
State-owned aviation major, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) thought so when it produced 39 Basant aircraft but stopped building them after 1980. Now, the Aussies want rich Indian farmers to check out ...READ MORE
The Mysuru Division of South Western Railways has initiated additional precautionary measures to beef up rail safety following the recent train accident near Kanpur that claimed nearly 150 lives. This includes ...READ MORE
What is RTE? The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act' or 'Right to Education Act also known as RTE', is an Act of the Parliament of India enacted ...READ MORE
Lakes in bangalore: it’s issues and solutions
Aadhaar card for street children
Everything you need to know about – “Great
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS /KPSC Exams –
Rural Development-Rural Roads InfrastructurePradhana Manthri Gram Sadak Yojana
Devadasis practice in Karnataka
Karnataka: Aircraft to spray seeds and fertilisers?
Karnataka: Mysuru Railway Division Intensifies Track Patrolling
System down on day one of RTE online