- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is an International Biosphere Reserve in the Western Ghats and Nilgiri Hills ranges of South India. The Western Ghats, Nilgiri Sub-Cluster (6,000+ km²), conjoining the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, is a World Heritage Site declared by UNESCO in 2012.
- It includes the Mudumalai, Mukurthi, Wayanad and Bandipur national parks.
- The reserve encompasses 5,520 km² in the states of Tamil Nadu (2537.6 km²), Karnataka (1527.4 km²) and Kerala(1455.4 km²). It forms an almost complete ring around the Nilgiri Plateau.
Flora and Fauna
- The reserve extends from the tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests, tropical moist forests of the western slopes of the Ghats to the tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forests tropical dry forests on the east slopes. Rainfall ranges from 500mm to 7000mm per year. The reserve encompasses three ecoregions, the South Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, South Western Ghats montane rain forests, and South Deccan Plateau dry deciduous forests.
- Fauna includes over 100 species of mammals, 350 species of birds, 80 species of reptiles, about 39 species of fish, 31 amphibians and 316 species of butterflies. It includes thetiger, Asian elephant, Lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri tahr. It has largest population of two endangered species Lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri tahr.
- The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve is very rich in plant diversity. About 3,300 species of flowering plants can be seen here. Of the 3,300 species, 132 are endemic to the reserve. The genus Baeolepis is exclusively endemic to the Nilgiris. Some of the plants entirely restricted to the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve include species of Adenoon, Calacanthus, Baeolepis,Frerea, Jarodina, Wagatea, Poeciloneuron, etc.
- Of the 175 species of orchids found in the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, eight are endemic. These include endemic and endangered species of Vanda, Liparis, Bulbophyllum andThrixspermum. The sholas of the reserve are a treasure house of rare plant species.
- About 80% of flowering plants reported from Western Ghats occur in NBR.
Core and buffer areas
The 1986 designation by the Government of India established core and buffer areas within the biosphere reserve.
- Core area: 1240.3 km² (701.8 km² in Karnataka, 264.5 km² in Kerala, 274 km² in Tamil Nadu)
- Buffer area: 4280
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
The number of women in the State police force is not enough to deal with crimes against women, who constitute about 50% of the total population, the Karnataka High Court ...READ MORE
Amazon India, Flipkart and their rivals could soon face tax complications with Karnataka proposing a 1 per cent levy on payments by buyers to sellers on ecommerce sites, a move ...READ MORE
Municipalities are empowered to levy taxes on i) buildings or lands or both (property tax), ii) advertisements, iii) toll on vehicles other than those taxed under Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation ...READ MORE
What is congenital hypothyroidism? Congenital hypothyroidism (CHT) is a condition resulting from an absent or under-developed thyroid gland (dysgenesis) or one that has developed but cannot make thyroid hormone because of ...READ MORE
How the bill was passed? A bill to legalise traditional buffalo race "Kambala" and bullock cart races in Karnataka was passed by the state Assembly on 13th Feb with all parties backing ...READ MORE
What is Pravasi Bharatiy Divas? Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (Non-Resident Indian Day), is celebrated in India on 9 January each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the ...READ MORE
Provision of infrastructure services is fundamental to economic growth and urban development. Urban infrastructure covers following: Water supply (for drinking, industrial, commercial and public usages), Sanitation (including Sewerage and Drainage), Domestic Energy, Road Infrastructure and Urban Transport. Water ...READ MORE
The new rules for taxi aggregators issued by the government will mean that they will have to toe the line on passenger safety. But, for the moment, they have been given ...READ MORE
Homeless rural residents of Karnataka will now get additional funds to build their houses In a first for the country, the State government has decided to dovetail funds meant for subsidised ...READ MORE
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot
Insufficient women in police force – High Court
New tax tangle for e-commerce firms: Karnataka proposes
Karnataka Economy – Tax Revenue & Funding Capital
Karnataka: Doctors want govt to mandate hypothyroidism test
Karnataka: Bill passed to allow Kambala
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: State to showcase startup prowess
Karnataka Urban Infrastructure – Water Supply
The Karnataka On-demand Transportation Technology Aggregators Rules, 2016.
Rural poor in state get MNREGA support to