- Blockchain is the technology behind web-based cryptocurrency bitcoin. Cyrptocurrencies such as bitcoin have been making a lot of buzz over the last few years
- The underlying blockchain technology emerged from the shadows of cryptocurrencies only at the beginning of last year
What is blockchain
- Blockchain, maintained by a network of distributed independent communicating devices, offers a single source of truth for financial and non-financial transactions without any trusted central authority.
- The fact that blockchain’s distributed database is verified by a network of nodes and continuously grows based on the previous data records, makes it very hard to be tampered with.
- It holds significant promise in helping financial services organizations minimize counterparty risks, speed up settlements, improve contractual performance, and enhance regulatory reporting.
- Blockchain is increasingly drawing attention around the world for building new work processes to make transactions and digital interactions more secure, transparent, efficient and cost-effective, thereby delivering superior experience to customers.
Applications of blockchain
- The basic premise of blockchain is that it decentralizes the age-old centralized trust-based system.
- Cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin form just one of the various applications of blockchain to have emerged first.
- Any asset transaction between counterparties is a good candidate for blockchain application, as such transactions typically involve record-keeping, reconciliation and reporting.
- Blockchain offers many use cases in financial institutions, particularly in improving existing processes and reducing the time and risk involved in transactions.
- The technology is continuously evolving and various combinations of platforms, programs and protocols are at play today.
- Some areas with application are
- Smart contracts — computer protocols that facilitate, verify, or enforce the negotiation or performance of a contract, or obviate the need for a contractual clause and P2P transactions where senders and receivers can directly send and receive data over a network and where multiple users can connect and share files.
- blockchain and cryptocurrency accelerators in the areas of P2P payments, asset trading, document storage, identity management, and lending, merchant and other financial transactions.
- Cross-border payment and remittances, post-trade settlement, syndicated loans, and trade finance are some of the other areas that many financial services firms are exploring worldwide.
The IS claims to be more than a militant group, selling itself as a government for the world’s Muslims that provides a range of services in the territory it controls. The ...READ MORE
There are several antiquated, discriminatory provisions in the Indian laws violating the rights of leprosy affected persons. For instance, in the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 (Section 13 (v)), if one party ...READ MORE
What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme How - Who is eligible - Who is not eligible Issue What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme A limited-period Compliance Window to declare undisclosed income or ...READ MORE
Air quality remained abysmal on Dec 1st , with four of the seven monitoring stations reporting the “severe” warning during the morning. The situation improved slightly by 7 p.m. due to ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Pulse polio immunisation in two phases To create awareness on the upcoming pulse polio drive among citizens, a rally was organised by the BBMP and the Rotary Club on 31st March. Nursing ...READ MORE
The new simplified “Guidelines Governing Adoption of Children 2015” notified by the Central Government on 17th July 2015 became operational form August 2015. Along with it, the fully revamped IT application ...READ MORE
Introduction Wind power is the conversion of wind energy into a useful form of energy Wind Energy is generated by harnessing the kinetic energy of atmospheric air Wind turbines work by transforming the ...READ MORE
Report on promotions for SC/ST communities accepted The State Cabinet on 17th May accepted a government committee report on a case related to the Supreme Court quashing of reservation for SC ...READ MORE
The Karnataka government on Monday launched rural Wi-Fi services in 11 gram panchayats, with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah saying such a ‘digital inclusion’ will give village-level entrepreneurs ready access to online market ...READ MORE
What is Kambala? Kambala is an annual festival celebrated in the Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka. The festival involves the traditional buffalo race, a popular and unique sport among the farming ...READ MORE
Islamic State losing support
Antiquated Indian laws affecting Leprosy
New scheme to tackle black money menace- Income
Poor AQI in Delhi
Karnataka State Current Affairs – 1st April 2017
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC
Karnataka: Rural Wi-Fi for ‘digital inclusion’ of village
After Jallakattu, Karnataka wakes up for “Kambala”