- IMF staff recommended that the currency be included in the IMF’s benchmark foreign exchange basket
- Managing Director of the IMF Christine Lagarde also endorsed the yuan’s inclusion in the IMF’s Special Drawing Rights basket
- A key focus of the Board review is whether the Chinese renminbi (RMB) also meets the other existing criterion, that the currency be ‘freely usable’.
- ‘Freely usable’ is defined as being ‘widely used’ for international transactions and ‘widely traded’ in the principal foreign exchange markets. The yuan had failed to meet the ‘freely usable’ criterion the last time it was assessed, in 2010.
- The final decision rests with the IMF’s Executive Board
- The inclusion of the yuan in this basket has been endorsed by almost all of the major economies of the world, including Germany, Britain, France and Italy.
- The U.S. was historically cautious about this, but recently softened its stance
- The yuan’s inclusion in the SDR basket, when it happens, will be a great victory for China. It will mean a global economic coming of age for them, and will mean that the yuan is now a reserve currency for the world and all that entails
- However, to meet the various requirements to achieve this, China has had to open up its closed capital account
- Such a move of opening its capital account is ‘unambiguously a good thing’ for India.
Special drawing rights (SDR or XDR)
- SDR are not a currency themselves, but are a certain number of rights given by the IMF to countries who, in a crisis, can draw upon any of the reserve currencies in the basket
- They are supplementary foreign exchange reserve assets defined and maintained by the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- The XDR was created in 1969 to supplement a shortfall of preferred foreign exchange reserve assets, namely gold and the U.S. dollar
- Their value is based on a basket of key international currencies reviewed by IMF every five years
- In 2010, the XDR basket consists of the following four currencies: U.S. dollars ($), euro (€), pounds sterling (£), and Japanese yen (¥)
- The weights assigned to each currency in the XDR basket are adjusted to take into account their current prominence in terms of international trade and national foreign exchange reserves
- XDRs are allocated to countries by the IMF. Private parties do not hold or use them.
- The amount of XDRs in existence was around XDR 21.4 billion in August 2009.
Yuan inclusion in SDR to help BRICS
- The IMF had announced that starting from October 2016, the RMB would be included in its Special Drawing Rights (SDR) basket.
- Analysts say that the stability of the yuan will benefit the BRICS nations. This was because the NDB was considering raising capital in Yuan-denominated bonds as a first step before it entered the bond markets of the rest of the members of BRICS grouping.
- The NDB was approaching the BRICS bond markets so that a financial mechanism could be evolved, which would gradually reduce dependence on financial markets of developed economies and their hard currencies.
- The World Bank and the Asian Development Bank raised funds by issuing bonds in the financial markets of the U.S., European
- The NDB was anticipating a close relationship, for raising capital, with the Multilateral Development Banks and domestic development institutions, such as the BNDES of Brazil, VEB of Russia, and EXIM bank of India, the China Development Bank, and DBSA of South Africa.
- The NDB has an authorised capital of 100 billion dollars, and a 50-billion-dollar initial subscribed capital, which is equally shared among the founding members. Its lending will focus on infrastructure development and sustainable projects in the emerging economies and the Global South.
Water situation in Udupi deteriorates The drinking water problem in the city is worsening with the water levels at the Baje Dam on the Swarna at Baje village, from where water ...READ MORE
ವಾಕ್ ಸ್ವಾತಂತ್ರ್ಯದ ಹಕ್ಕು ಸ್ವೇಚ್ಛಾನುಸಾರವಲ್ಲ, ಆದ್ದರಿಂದ ಮಾನಹಾನಿಗೆ ಸಂಬಂಧಿಸಿದ ಐಪಿಸಿಯ ದಂಡನಾರ್ಹ ಕಲಂಗಳಿಗೆ ಸಾಂವಿಧಾನಿಕ ಸಿಂಧುತ್ವ ಇದೆ ಎಂದು ಸುಪ್ರೀಂಕೋರ್ಟ್ ಸ್ಪಷ್ಟಪಡಿಸಿದೆ. ಮಾನಹಾನಿಗೆ ಸಂಬಂಧಿಸಿದ ಭಾರತೀಯ ದಂಡ ಸಂಹಿತೆಯ (ಐಪಿಸಿ) ಕಲಂ 499 ಮತ್ತು 500 ಹಾಗೂ ಅಪರಾಧ ಪ್ರಕ್ರಿಯಾ ಸಂಹಿತೆಯ (ಸಿಪಿಸಿ) ...READ MORE
Sericulture farmers in Karnataka, India’s leading raw silk producing State, are disappointed over the Union Budget’s failure to increase the customs duty on import of raw silk. The customs duty on ...READ MORE
Database soon of medicinal plants, traditional healthcare The State could soon have a modern database of local medicinal plants and knowledge pertaining to traditional healthcare practices created using Geographical Information System ...READ MORE
Elephant census to focus on areas outside forests Forest officials and conservationists, who are gearing up for the elephant census, will focus on areas outside forests as the jumbos are seen ...READ MORE
The decision to expand the municipal limits of Bengaluru from 225 sq km to about 800 sq km by incorporating 110 villages, seven City Municipal Councils (CMC) and one Town ...READ MORE
Water Programme (NRDWP): In order to meet adequate and safe drinking water supply requirements in rural areas, particularly in areas where coverage is less than 55 lpcd and in those ...READ MORE
The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)was set up under NITI. In the budget for 2014-15, Rs 150 crore was allotted for the innovation mission, which will replace the National Innovation Council, a ...READ MORE
HELLO FRIENDS, KPSC will be conducting the first round of GAZETTED PROBATIONARY EXAMINATION (Preliminary round) to fill 400+ GROUP A AND GROUP B POSTS IN VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS. With regard to this, Team NammaKPSC ...READ MORE
The four cities from Karnataka selected in the second round of the Smart City initiative have commenced the process of selecting project management consultants to help execute their respective action ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
ಮಾನಹಾನಿಯ ಸ್ವರೂಪ ಆಗಲಿ ಪುನರ್ವಿಮರ್ಶೆ
Sericulture farmers in state disappointed with the budget
Database soon of medicinal plants and traditional healthcare
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
To Expand the municipal limits of Bengaluru
Rural Development-National Rural Drinking & Desert Development Programme
Atal Innovation Mission
MISSION PRELIMS 2017
Karnataka: Smart Cities – Process on to pick