About the animal
- Indian Gazelles are called shy animals as they always act themselves as an alert nature and usually it roams alone in the wild regions.
- Not very often these species are seen in groups, likely the count would be average in numbers in strength at times.
- Chinkaras are preyed upon by leopards, Bengal tigers, and dholes. The chinkara was a common prey of the Asiatic cheetah in India alongside blackbucks.
- Occur in more than 80 protected areas in India, 5 in Pakistan and 9 in Iran. In parts of western India Chinkara are protected by villagers for religious reasons. The species is fully protected by law in India, Pakistan and Iran.
- The advantage of Gazelles are they can survive a long period without water and their needs of water gets compensated by the dews available in the leaves and plants.
- In the North Western parts of the Indian country, people called as Bishnoi community protect this animal for their religious reason.
- Indian Gazelle (Chinkara) is known as the state animal of Rajasthan in India.
- Indiscriminate hunting has adversely affected gazelles in Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan (hunted for meat and to a lesser degree for trophies). Habitat loss through overgrazing, conversion to agriculture and industrial development is also a factor.
Distribution and habitat
- Are native to Iran, Pakistan and India
- Chinkara live in arid plains and hills, deserts, dry scrub and light forests. They inhabit more than 80 protected areas in India
- In 2001, the Indian chinkara population was estimated at 100,000 with 80,000 living in the Thar Desert.
Gazelles are mainly seen in the below listed National parks in India:
- Gir National Park
- Panna National Park
- Ranthambore National Park
- Desert National Park
- Sariska National Park
- Bandhavgarh National Park
- IUCN- least concern
Currently in news
- The Ministry of Environment and Forests has decided to establish a wildlife sanctuary at Mudhol taluk in Bagalkot district.
- The animal fears extinction owing to lack of protection and hunting by local people in the taluk.
- It is largely found in Mudhol and Badami taluks of north Karnataka region.
- Chinkaras, which weigh around 30 kg, are largely found in 12 villages of both the taluks. We have not come across such a large concentration anywhere in the State. Thus, it is important to save the animal
- According to a rough estimate, the district has only around 100 chinkaras, and they need immediate protection from local hunters.
- The locals have agreed to save the animal. But they want the government to provide them facilities such as LPG connections as they are largely dependent on forest for firewood. They fear that once the areas are declared protected, they will not find firewood
ವಿದೇಶಿ ನೇರ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ (ಎಫ್ಡಿಐ) ನಿಯಮಗಳನ್ನು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಸಡಿಲಗೊಳಿಸಿದೆ. ರಿಯಲ್ ಎಸ್ಟೇಟ್, ರಕ್ಷಣೆ, ನಾಗರಿಕ ವಿಮಾನ ಯಾನ ಮತ್ತು ಸುದ್ದಿ ಪ್ರಸಾರ ಸೇರಿದಂತೆ 15 ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರಗಳನ್ನು ವಿದೇಶಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆಗೆ ತೆರೆದಿರಿಸಿದೆ. ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ ರಂಗದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ ಮಾಡುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಇರುವ ನಿರ್ಬಂಧಗಳನ್ನು ಸಡಿಲಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಯೋಜನೆ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳ್ಳುವ ...READ MORE
Indian badminton ace Saina Nehwal notched up her first title after a career-threatening injury by claiming the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Goldwith a hard-fought victory in the summit clash on ...READ MORE
In a surprise development kept secret until their meeting was over, Indian and Pakistani National Security Advisers led delegations for talks in Bangkok The discussions covered peace and security, terrorism, Jammu ...READ MORE
KLCDA for declaring 176 ‘live’ lakes in Bengaluru as wetlands The Karnataka Lake Conservation and Development Authority (KLCDA) has sought for the declaration of 176 ‘live’ lakes in the city as ...READ MORE
ವಿವಿಧ ಅರಸರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಭಿನ್ನಾಭಿಪ್ರಾಯ ಮೂಡಿಸಿ ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷರು ಒಡೆದು ಆಳುವ ನೀತಿ ಅನುಸರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಆದರೆ, ಪಟೇಲ್ ಅವರು ಎಲ್ಲಾ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಭಾರತದ ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಿದರು . ಅರಸರ ಆಡಳಿತದಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಪಟೇಲರು ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಚಾತುರ್ಯ ತೋರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಚಾಣಕ್ಯನೂ ದೇಶವನ್ನು ...READ MORE
Criminalise marital rape: UNDP chief Recently Minister for Women and Child Welfare Maneka Gandhi submitted in Parliament that the government wouldn’t criminalise “marital rape,”. She said that the “concept of marital rape, as ...READ MORE
Researchers have identified a brain region that links anxious temperament to low social status. In the study, researchers performed a series of experiments on rats to identify the brain areas involved ...READ MORE
The cultural carnival, ‘Hampi Utsav’ was off to a colourful start at Eduru Basavanna main stage at Hampi, once the capital of the mighty Vijayanagara empire, on Thursday with Chief ...READ MORE
The BMRDA had prepared the Structure Plan in 1998 based on the availability and future prospects in respect of the natural resources and infrastructure and the trend of urbanization in the region. The Structure Plan was ...READ MORE
SC orders Karnataka to decide Shakadri's plea in 6 weeks The Supreme Court on 27th March directed the Karnataka government to decide within six weeks several representations made by the religious head ...READ MORE
ವಿದೇಶಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ ನಿಯಮ ಸಡಿಲ
Sports: Saina Nehwal Lifts Malaysia Masters Grand Prix
India-Pakistan National Security Advisors meeting
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
‘ಒಂದೇ ಭಾರತ, ಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಭಾರತ’ ಚಾಲನೆ
Marital rape – Need to be criminalised?
Anxiety is related to social status
Cultural carnival Hampi Utsav off to a colourful
Urban Development: Structure Plan & BBMP
Karnataka State Update – KAS / KPSC Exams