- Denmark the least corrupt country, India at 76th position
- India has climbed nine points to rank 76th in this year’s global corruption index topped by Denmark, with watchdog Transparency International calling graft a global “blight”.
- According to Transparency International’s International Corruption Perceptions Index 2015, India is placed at 76th position along with Thailand, Brazil, Tunisia, Zambia and Burkina Faso out of 168 countries.
- India has improved its past year’s position of 85 and has a grade index score of 38 out of a possible 100 which indicates the least corrupt
- The index was prepared by using data from institutions including the World Bank, the African Development Bank.
- According to Berlin-based Transparency International, 68 per cent of countries worldwide have a serious corruption problem and half of the G20 are among them.
- Denmark tops of the index for the second consecutive year as the country perceived as least corrupt. It scored 91 points, while North Korea and Somalia remained at the bottom with unchanged scores of 8.
- The other top spots, from second to ninth, were occupied by Finland, Sweden, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Singapore and Canada.
- Brazil and Turkey were among nations that tumbled the most. Brazil slid to 76th place, sharing its position with India, down from 69th last year. Turkey fell two spots to 66th, continuing its descent from 53rd place in 2013.
- Global corruption index, a composite index that draws from 12 surveys to rank nations around the globe, has become a benchmark gauge of perceptions of corruption and is used by analysts and investors
Criminalise marital rape: UNDP chief Recently Minister for Women and Child Welfare Maneka Gandhi submitted in Parliament that the government wouldn’t criminalise “marital rape,”. She said that the “concept of marital rape, as ...READ MORE
For the first time, sugarcane farmers in Karnataka will get prices linked to the sugar recovery percentage of their produce At its meeting in Bengaluru, the sugarcane price board instructed all ...READ MORE
Silicon likely makes up a significant proportion of the Earth’s core after iron and nickel, say scientists who claim to have identified the ‘missing element’ in the deep interiors of ...READ MORE
Urban Development Department is responsible for all matters relating to urban areas in the State. Urbanization gives rise to various issues like (i) urban poverty and Slum Improvement (ii) increased pressure on basic services/civic amenities of housing, ...READ MORE
The physical expansion and demographic growth of urban areas have exerted an adverse impact on the urban environment. The large scale conversion of agricultural land in the urban periphery for urban uses like industries, housing ...READ MORE
Manipal Hospitals corporate and teaching facilities will adopt IBM’s supercomputer, called Watson, to fight cancer This would be the first deployment of Watson in India. Watson for Oncology was developed by ...READ MORE
ANTI-COUNTERFEITING TRADE AGREEMENT Introduction The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), is a multinational treaty for the purpose of establishing international standards for intellectual property rights enforcement. The agreement aims to establish an international legal ...READ MORE
Indian Shipbuilding and Ship-repair Industry A Strategy for promoting 'Make in India' initiative The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for introducing measures to encourage shipbuilding and ship repair industry ...READ MORE
For the first time, Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LRSAM), jointly designed and developed by IAI, Israel and DRDO, has been successfully flight tested from an Israeli Naval Platform. ...READ MORE
Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board is an autonomous body formed by the State legislature under Bengaluru Water supply and Sewerage Board Act on 10-09-1964 for Water Supply & Sewage ...READ MORE
Marital rape – Need to be criminalised?
FRP for sugarcane farmers
Science & Tech: Silicon identified as ‘missing element’
Urban Development – Urban Environment
Cognitive computing in cancer treatment
S & T Related Intellectual Property Rights
Indian Shipbuilding and Ship-repair Industry
LRSAM Successfully Flight-Tested
Karnataka Economy: Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board