“A King Cobra has been run over by a vehicle on Castle Rock Main Road passing through the Castle Rock Wildlife Range of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.”
Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve
- is the fourth tiger reserve of Karnataka state. Is located in Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka State.
- Covering the taluks of Haliyal, Karwar and Joida, the Kali Tiger Reserve (KTR) is part of the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka.
- It is notable that Anshi National Park and Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary were together granted the status of Project Tiger tiger reserve, being declared as ‘Anshi Dandeli Tiger Reserve’ in January, 2007.
- It is spread over 1365 Sq.Km which includes Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and Anshi National Park and has satisfactory remarks about tiger density.
- It is also a home for endangered Hornbill species and rare black panthers.
- The 340 km2 (130 sq mi) Anshi park adjoins theDandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, and together with six adjacent protected areas in the states of Goa and Maharashtra, forms an almost uninterrupted protected forest area of over 2,200 km2 (850 sq mi).
- In December 2015, Dandeli Anshi Tiger reserve was renamed to Kali Tiger Reserve. River Kali is the lifeline of the people of Uttara Kannada district and integrates Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary (DWS) spread across 400 sq km and Anshi National Park (ANP) spread across 500 sq km.
- The river cuts across the whole park and the renaming has given the area a single identity.
- The park is in the ecoregions of North Western Ghats montane rain forests and North Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, both of which are deemed endangered by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WW). The forests have high biodiversity.
- Some common trees and plants here include: bintangur, Malabar tamarind, blackboard tree, true cinnamon, bamboo, bauhinia, eucalyptus, lantana, silver oak, teak and jamba.
- The black panther,elephants and tigers live in the park but are rarely seen. Other large mammals here are Indian bison, sloth bear,Indian wild boar, bonnet macaque, northern plains gray langur, gray slender loris, several deer including: barking deer (muntjac), mouse deer (chevrotain), sambar deer and spotted deer (chital or axis deer).
- Wild dog, jackal, jungle cat, leopard cat, small Indian civet, Indian gray mongoose, flying squirrel, porcupine, Malabar civet, Indian giant squirrel and pangolin also make their home in the forests here.
- Reptiles in the park include the king cobra, spectacled cobra, Russell’s viper, saw-scaled viper, common krait, Indian rock python, rat snake, vine snake, green or bamboo pit viper and monitor lizards.
- Interesting birds include the Ceylon frogmouth, great hornbill, Malabar pied hornbill, Malabar grey hornbill, Indian grey hornbill and Asian fairy bluebird.
Issue in the reserve currently
- In the recent years, a leopard, a chital, a wild pig, a brown palm civet, a leopard cat, a small Indian civet, a langur, a bonnet macaque, among other animals, have been killed in road accidents in the region.
- The Dandeli-Anshi reserve with a satisfactory number of tigers, had 14 major access roads passing through it.
- Of them, the Aurad-Sadashivgad State Highway 34 and National Highway 4A in the Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve had become a death trap for wild animals.
- With the Belagavi-Panaji National Highway 4A being widened, the threat levels stood escalated and further quantified the need for mitigation measures to save wildlife
Needs to be done
- This incident throws light on the threats to wildlife crossing highways passing through the thick forest reserves
- Need to laysstress on the need for speed checks, restrictions on vehicle movement during night within protected areas and realignment of roads wherever possible.
- The increasing number of road-kills in territorial forest divisions has underscored the urgent need for demarcating wildlife-rich areas and transferring the vulnerable animals to wildlife divisions for proper protection.
One cannot directly go to a private hospital for treatment under a government health scheme. First need to visit a government hospital &only when doctors refer to private hospitals owing to ...READ MORE
The officials of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Tuesday met the state government officials and urged them to speed up the process of making farmers register on M-Kisan portal. Union ...READ MORE
ANTI-COUNTERFEITING TRADE AGREEMENT Introduction The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), is a multinational treaty for the purpose of establishing international standards for intellectual property rights enforcement. The agreement aims to establish an international legal ...READ MORE
Drop in married women using modern family planning methods Karnataka has recorded a decline in use of modern family planning methods by married women, with just over 50 per cent of ...READ MORE
The 68th Republic Day parade in New Delhi's Rajpath was a colourful affair tableaux from 17 states and Union Territories showcased the varied historical, art and cultural heritage of the ...READ MORE
Why In News: The tiger conservation programme of Bhadra National Park has got a shot in the arm with the Central government giving its nod for a Rs 9-crore action ...READ MORE
Almost nine percent of popular apps downloaded from Google Play interact with websites that could compromise users’ security and privacy, according to a new University of California, Riverside study. The team ...READ MORE
The Centre’s revision of service tax rate for packaged tours booked through travel and tour agencies will result in a nearly 20% hike in charges, which will be passed on ...READ MORE
Fire in Kalkere Range Thousands of acres of forest cover burnt down in forest fire in Bandipur tiger reserve on Saturday and a forest guard succumbed to burn injuries while preventing the flames ...READ MORE
Health Scheme: Patients have to visit govt hospitals
IMD urges govt to encourage farmers to register
S & T Related Intellectual Property Rights
National Family Health Survey: Karnataka Related Data
India Celebrate 68th Republic Day – Highlights
NammaKPSC Classroom: KAS 2016-17 challengers- All About Bhadra
Safety concerns of apps
Packaged tours booked through travel &tour agencies will
Everything you need to know about Bandipur Forest
Have small states realised their goals?