“A King Cobra has been run over by a vehicle on Castle Rock Main Road passing through the Castle Rock Wildlife Range of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.”
Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve
- is the fourth tiger reserve of Karnataka state. Is located in Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka State.
- Covering the taluks of Haliyal, Karwar and Joida, the Kali Tiger Reserve (KTR) is part of the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka.
- It is notable that Anshi National Park and Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary were together granted the status of Project Tiger tiger reserve, being declared as ‘Anshi Dandeli Tiger Reserve’ in January, 2007.
- It is spread over 1365 Sq.Km which includes Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and Anshi National Park and has satisfactory remarks about tiger density.
- It is also a home for endangered Hornbill species and rare black panthers.
- The 340 km2 (130 sq mi) Anshi park adjoins theDandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, and together with six adjacent protected areas in the states of Goa and Maharashtra, forms an almost uninterrupted protected forest area of over 2,200 km2 (850 sq mi).
- In December 2015, Dandeli Anshi Tiger reserve was renamed to Kali Tiger Reserve. River Kali is the lifeline of the people of Uttara Kannada district and integrates Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary (DWS) spread across 400 sq km and Anshi National Park (ANP) spread across 500 sq km.
- The river cuts across the whole park and the renaming has given the area a single identity.
- The park is in the ecoregions of North Western Ghats montane rain forests and North Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, both of which are deemed endangered by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WW). The forests have high biodiversity.
- Some common trees and plants here include: bintangur, Malabar tamarind, blackboard tree, true cinnamon, bamboo, bauhinia, eucalyptus, lantana, silver oak, teak and jamba.
- The black panther,elephants and tigers live in the park but are rarely seen. Other large mammals here are Indian bison, sloth bear,Indian wild boar, bonnet macaque, northern plains gray langur, gray slender loris, several deer including: barking deer (muntjac), mouse deer (chevrotain), sambar deer and spotted deer (chital or axis deer).
- Wild dog, jackal, jungle cat, leopard cat, small Indian civet, Indian gray mongoose, flying squirrel, porcupine, Malabar civet, Indian giant squirrel and pangolin also make their home in the forests here.
- Reptiles in the park include the king cobra, spectacled cobra, Russell’s viper, saw-scaled viper, common krait, Indian rock python, rat snake, vine snake, green or bamboo pit viper and monitor lizards.
- Interesting birds include the Ceylon frogmouth, great hornbill, Malabar pied hornbill, Malabar grey hornbill, Indian grey hornbill and Asian fairy bluebird.
Issue in the reserve currently
- In the recent years, a leopard, a chital, a wild pig, a brown palm civet, a leopard cat, a small Indian civet, a langur, a bonnet macaque, among other animals, have been killed in road accidents in the region.
- The Dandeli-Anshi reserve with a satisfactory number of tigers, had 14 major access roads passing through it.
- Of them, the Aurad-Sadashivgad State Highway 34 and National Highway 4A in the Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve had become a death trap for wild animals.
- With the Belagavi-Panaji National Highway 4A being widened, the threat levels stood escalated and further quantified the need for mitigation measures to save wildlife
Needs to be done
- This incident throws light on the threats to wildlife crossing highways passing through the thick forest reserves
- Need to laysstress on the need for speed checks, restrictions on vehicle movement during night within protected areas and realignment of roads wherever possible.
- The increasing number of road-kills in territorial forest divisions has underscored the urgent need for demarcating wildlife-rich areas and transferring the vulnerable animals to wildlife divisions for proper protection.
The third edition of the Karnataka Hakki Habba (bird festival) will be celebrated at Daroji Karadi Dhama, near Hampi, on January 5, 6 and 7. The first two festivals were ...READ MORE
Urban Development Department is responsible for all matters relating to urban areas in the State. Urbanization gives rise to various issues like (i) urban poverty and Slum Improvement (ii) increased pressure on basic services/civic amenities of housing, ...READ MORE
Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) will train construction workers workingin its poat graduate campus. They will be trained in six basic skills related to their work by the varsity, which has been ...READ MORE
Seven years after the State Department was restructured to ‘de-hyphenate’ U.S. relations with India and with Pakistan, it is considering a reversal of the move. De-hyphenating refers to a policy started ...READ MORE
The government, during the Budget session of the Parliament, plans to amend The mining law which is holding up mergers and acquisitions worth thousands of crore in the distressed commodities and ...READ MORE
∗ Gene theft or DNA theft is the act of acquiring the genetic material of another human being, often from a public place, without his or her permission. ∗ The DNA ...READ MORE
Trade Facilitation agreement TFA is divided into three parts. Section 1 contains provisions on simplification of border clearance procedures and adoption of new transparency measures and consists of 12 Articles. These 12 ...READ MORE
Under Centrally Sponsored UIDSSMT (mission period) scheme, out of the 38 projects sanctioned for the State, 28 projects are completed. The central government has released an amount of Rs.534.97 crore for ...READ MORE
The Legislative Assembly and the Legislative Council secretariats are finding it difficult to maintain records of speeches and statements made by members on the floor of the Houses. With members of ...READ MORE
Provision of infrastructure services is fundamental to economic growth and urban development. Urban infrastructure covers following: Water supply (for drinking, industrial, commercial and public usages), Sanitation (including Sewerage and Drainage), Domestic Energy, Road Infrastructure and Urban Transport. Water ...READ MORE
Karnataka Hakki Habba (bird festival) in January
VTU to train construction workers
U.S. considers re-merger of India, Pakistan desks
MMDR Act of 2015 to be amended
Trade Facilitation agreement- details and implementation
Urban Infrastructure Development Scheme for Small and Medium
State to digitise all legislature proceedings
Karnataka Urban Infrastructure – Water Supply