“A King Cobra has been run over by a vehicle on Castle Rock Main Road passing through the Castle Rock Wildlife Range of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.”
Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve
- is the fourth tiger reserve of Karnataka state. Is located in Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka State.
- Covering the taluks of Haliyal, Karwar and Joida, the Kali Tiger Reserve (KTR) is part of the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka.
- It is notable that Anshi National Park and Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary were together granted the status of Project Tiger tiger reserve, being declared as ‘Anshi Dandeli Tiger Reserve’ in January, 2007.
- It is spread over 1365 Sq.Km which includes Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and Anshi National Park and has satisfactory remarks about tiger density.
- It is also a home for endangered Hornbill species and rare black panthers.
- The 340 km2 (130 sq mi) Anshi park adjoins theDandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, and together with six adjacent protected areas in the states of Goa and Maharashtra, forms an almost uninterrupted protected forest area of over 2,200 km2 (850 sq mi).
- In December 2015, Dandeli Anshi Tiger reserve was renamed to Kali Tiger Reserve. River Kali is the lifeline of the people of Uttara Kannada district and integrates Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary (DWS) spread across 400 sq km and Anshi National Park (ANP) spread across 500 sq km.
- The river cuts across the whole park and the renaming has given the area a single identity.
- The park is in the ecoregions of North Western Ghats montane rain forests and North Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, both of which are deemed endangered by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WW). The forests have high biodiversity.
- Some common trees and plants here include: bintangur, Malabar tamarind, blackboard tree, true cinnamon, bamboo, bauhinia, eucalyptus, lantana, silver oak, teak and jamba.
- The black panther,elephants and tigers live in the park but are rarely seen. Other large mammals here are Indian bison, sloth bear,Indian wild boar, bonnet macaque, northern plains gray langur, gray slender loris, several deer including: barking deer (muntjac), mouse deer (chevrotain), sambar deer and spotted deer (chital or axis deer).
- Wild dog, jackal, jungle cat, leopard cat, small Indian civet, Indian gray mongoose, flying squirrel, porcupine, Malabar civet, Indian giant squirrel and pangolin also make their home in the forests here.
- Reptiles in the park include the king cobra, spectacled cobra, Russell’s viper, saw-scaled viper, common krait, Indian rock python, rat snake, vine snake, green or bamboo pit viper and monitor lizards.
- Interesting birds include the Ceylon frogmouth, great hornbill, Malabar pied hornbill, Malabar grey hornbill, Indian grey hornbill and Asian fairy bluebird.
Issue in the reserve currently
- In the recent years, a leopard, a chital, a wild pig, a brown palm civet, a leopard cat, a small Indian civet, a langur, a bonnet macaque, among other animals, have been killed in road accidents in the region.
- The Dandeli-Anshi reserve with a satisfactory number of tigers, had 14 major access roads passing through it.
- Of them, the Aurad-Sadashivgad State Highway 34 and National Highway 4A in the Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve had become a death trap for wild animals.
- With the Belagavi-Panaji National Highway 4A being widened, the threat levels stood escalated and further quantified the need for mitigation measures to save wildlife
Needs to be done
- This incident throws light on the threats to wildlife crossing highways passing through the thick forest reserves
- Need to laysstress on the need for speed checks, restrictions on vehicle movement during night within protected areas and realignment of roads wherever possible.
- The increasing number of road-kills in territorial forest divisions has underscored the urgent need for demarcating wildlife-rich areas and transferring the vulnerable animals to wildlife divisions for proper protection.
ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಗ್ರಾಮ ಸ್ವರಾಜ್ ಮತ್ತು ಪಂಚಾಯತ್ ರಾಜ್ ಮಸೂದೆ–2015’ ವಿಧಾನಸಭೆಯಲ್ಲಿಮಂಡನೆ ಇತ್ತೀಚಿನ ವರ್ಷಗಳಲ್ಲೇ ಇದು ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಸುದೀರ್ಘ ಮಸೂದೆ. ಜಿಲ್ಲಾ ಪಂಚಾಯಿತಿ ಅಧ್ಯಕ್ಷರಿಗೆ ರಾಜ್ಯ ಸಚಿವ ಸ್ಥಾನಮಾನ, ಅದಕ್ಕೆ ತಕ್ಕ ಸಂಬಳ ಮತ್ತು ಇತರ ಸವಲತ್ತುಗಳು ಸಿಗಲಿವೆ. ಮಸೂದೆಯಲ್ಲಿನ ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಅಂಶಗಳು : ಗ್ರಾಮಮಟ್ಟದಿಂದ ರಾಜ್ಯ ಮಟ್ಟದ ವರೆಗಿನ ...READ MORE
The Union Cabinet has approved the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill, 2015, as reported by the Select Committee of Rajya Sabha. The Bill will now be taken up for ...READ MORE
A recent study by the WHO shows that a significant population of Indian subcontinent breathes air with much higher particulate matter that is lesser than 2.5 micrometre (PM2.5) in size ...READ MORE
RuPay is a combination of two words – Rupee and Payment. RuPay Card is an Indian version of credit/debit card. It is very similar to international cards such as Visa/Master. Government ...READ MORE
Introduction ∗ Geothermal energy is thermal energy generated and stored in the Earth. Thermal energy is the energy that determines the temperature of matter. ∗ The Geothermal energy of the Earth's crust ...READ MORE
Karnataka Agri Business and Food Processing Policy 2015 is aimed at positioning Karnataka in a sustained growth path in the field of agricultural and allied sectors through global technologies and innovative ...READ MORE
After a dismal 2015 of mass refugee flows, war and catastrophe, leading U.N. agencies and their partners announced that they are seeking over $20 billion in funding next year — ...READ MORE
The incidents of cross-border firing have shown a sharp decline after the border guarding forces of the two countries decided to “pick up the phone before picking up the gun”, ...READ MORE
Home Minister G Parameshwara said that a special drive would be launched throughout the state to check the narcotics menace. Responding to a calling attention notice tabled by Ramachandra Gowda (BJP) in ...READ MORE
Why in News: The 17th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held on 17 and 18 September in Margarita Island, northeast of Venezuela, in ...READ MORE
ಪಂಚಾಯತ್ ರಾಜ್ ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆಗೆ ಬದಲಾವಣೆ
Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill, 2015
Indian RuPay card answer to Visa/Master Card?
Karnataka Agri Business and Food Processing Policy 2015
UN agencies appeal for humanitarian funding
DG-level talks with Pak bears fruit
Karnataka will launch special drive to curb narcotics
Explained: NAM “Non Aligned Movement”- Important for IAS/KAS