Database soon of medicinal plants, traditional healthcare
- The State could soon have a modern database of local medicinal plants and knowledge pertaining to traditional healthcare practices created using Geographical Information System (GIS).
- The Health department has evinced keen interest in a project recommended by the Karnataka Knowledge Commission (KKC) that proposes to develop a local medicinal plant herbal pharmacopeia on an Information Communication Technology (ICT) platform.
- In its recommendation – the latest to be submitted to the State government by the commission headed by renowned scientist K Kasturirangan – the panel has suggested the creation of an inventory of herbal medicines and traditional procedure-based therapies using satellite images and GIS.
- By using the latest technology to create a database, we will be integrating traditional community health knowledge and practices with modern science
- While there are hundreds of local herbal remedies, some commonly used include:
- Drinking fresh juice from Giloya shoot with honey, said to provide relief from acidity;
- Having decoction of dry ginger, pippali and amla twice a day, said to provide relief from cold and cough.
- The proposal is to create taluk-level database and documentation.
- To start with, medicinal plant pharmacopeia for Heggadadevana Kote (HD Kote) taluk in Mysuru district, has been proposed.
- Later, it will be extended to other taluks. HD Kote is estimated to be home to 500 medicinal plants in the forest areas of Nagarahole National Park, Bandipur National Park, Karigala, Kalbetta, Kakanakote forest range, among others.
The state forest department has issued a notification allowing culling of wild boars in Ramanagara distric, by declaring them vermin. The notification issued by the Ramanagara forest office which has legalized the ...READ MORE
Manipal Hospitals corporate and teaching facilities will adopt IBM’s supercomputer, called Watson, to fight cancer This would be the first deployment of Watson in India. Watson for Oncology was developed by ...READ MORE
For the first time, sugarcane farmers in Karnataka will get prices linked to the sugar recovery percentage of their produce At its meeting in Bengaluru, the sugarcane price board instructed all ...READ MORE
Religious diktat enforced more than a millennium ago can have repercussions in genetic make-up of modern-day Indians. This is the result of a study of numerous communities undertaken by researchers from ...READ MORE
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras and its peripherals are all set to become cheaper with the Commercial Taxes department slashing the rate of Value Added Tax (VAT) on the products from ...READ MORE
Silicon likely makes up a significant proportion of the Earth’s core after iron and nickel, say scientists who claim to have identified the ‘missing element’ in the deep interiors of ...READ MORE
Fire in Kalkere Range Thousands of acres of forest cover burnt down in forest fire in Bandipur tiger reserve on Saturday and a forest guard succumbed to burn injuries while preventing the flames ...READ MORE
INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday. The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted ...READ MORE
The state government is gearing up to set up a mini hydel project next to the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, an elephant corridor, even as cases of jumbos straying out of ...READ MORE
From 2015-16 the Government has introduced Dr.B.R.Ambedkar Nivasa Yojane for providing houses to the house less SC/ST families. Under this scheme for 2015-16 the Government has sanctioned 1,50,000 houses, in which ...READ MORE
Department allows farmers in Ramanagara district to kill
Cognitive computing in cancer treatment
FRP for sugarcane farmers
Genetics throws light on genesis of caste system
Karnataka – Govt Slashes Tax On CCTV Cameras To
Science & Tech: Silicon identified as ‘missing element’
Everything you need to know about Bandipur Forest
India’s Second Scorpene Submarine “Khanderi” Launched
Karnataka: Govt to set up hydel project in
Rural Development – Housing – Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Nivasa