- FAME – India is an abbreviation for Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India
- Government of India approved the National Mission on Electric Mobility in 2011 and subsequently National Electric Mobility Mission Plan 2020 was unveiled in 2013.
- As part of the mission, Department of Heavy Industries has formulated a scheme namely FAME – India (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India).
- The Phase-1 of the scheme shall be implemented over a 2 year period i.e. FY 2015-16 and FY 2016-17 commencing from 1st April 2015
- The scheme shall have 4 focus areas i.e.
- Technology Development,
- Demand Creation,
- Pilot Projects and
- Charging Infrastructure.
- The thrust for the Govt. through this scheme will be to allow hybrid and electric vehicles to become the first choice for the purchasers so that these vehicles can replace the conventional vehicles and thus reduce liquid fuel consumption in the country.
- Government is in the process of setting up public charging stations in various cities where the population of electric vehicles is growing.
- Government is coordinating with various enabling agencies such Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), Oil and Marketing Companies (such as Indian Oil, Hindustan Petroleum) to support installation of such charging stations at their facilities (Metro Stations and Petrol Filling Stations).
- Further, Government has started pilot projects on renewable energy based fast charging stations. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and Rajasthan Electronics and Instrumentation Limited (REIL) have been entrusted to develop prototypes of such stations which could be deployed in future.
- The scheme will provide a major push for creation of a viable ecosystem of both hybrid and electric technologies vehicles in the country.
- Pure electric vehicle produces around 35%~45% lower CO2 as compared to equivalent gasoline vehicle in India based on the fact that most of electricity produced is obtained predominantly from coal, natural gas and oil (75%~85%).
- In future in view of more and more renewable energy based electricity production in the country, electric vehicles are going to emit lesser CO2 on a Well-to-Wheel basis.
What causes pilot whales to get disoriented? Pilot whales are highly sensitive to noise pollution, caused by man-made sounds that interfere with echolocation. This makes them susceptible to disorientation from a ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Agriculture Prices Commission (KAPC) submitted its much awaited report, prescribing scientifically calculated “cost of cultivation” for 17 major crops. In the report by KAPC, headed by agricultural economist T.N. ...READ MORE
Programmes to control Non communicable diseases National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS)- which is implemented for interventions up to District level under the National Health ...READ MORE
Blockchain is the technology behind web-based cryptocurrency bitcoin. Cyrptocurrencies such as bitcoin have been making a lot of buzz over the last few years The underlying blockchain technology emerged from the shadows of cryptocurrencies ...READ MORE
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of embryos Britain granted its first licence for the genetic modification of human embryos as part of research into infertility and why miscarriages happen, ...READ MORE
Karnataka Agri Business and Food Processing Policy 2015 is aimed at positioning Karnataka in a sustained growth path in the field of agricultural and allied sectors through global technologies and innovative ...READ MORE
The RPBD is an annual event organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), as part of its outreach to the Indian Diaspora in various global regions. So far ...READ MORE
The political crisis in Uttarakhand and subsequent developments have once again catapulted a number of rather familiar questions onto the political terrain. The formation of three small States in 2000, Chhattisgarh, ...READ MORE
The Channapatna handcraft can be traced to the reign of Tipu Sultan who invited artisans from Persia to train local artisans in the making of the wooden toys. The traditional wooden ...READ MORE
Beaching of whales
KAPC report on cost of cultivation
Non communicable diseases
Blockchain – Technology behind Bit coin
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of
Karnataka Agri Business and Food Processing Policy 2015
Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas at Los Angeles
Have small states realised their goals?
Channapatna craft losing sheen
Act East Policy