- Trans fats, also called partially hydrogenated oils, are created when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil to make it more solid. They do help give a more solid texture to certain foods, like baked goods.
- Saturated fats found in nuts, vegetable oils and fish are the best for you. Saturated fats mostly derived from animals are less healthy and should be less than 10 per cent of a person’s daily calories.
Why are they bad?
- Trans fats can raise “bad” cholesterol and lower “good” cholesterol. That can clog arteries and contributes to heart disease.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced that it will seek to eliminate majority of partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) from the country’s food supply by 2018.
- The decision comes after years of lobbying by health advocates and scientists that artificial oils, commonly called “trans fats”, clog arteries and raise the risk of heart disease.
- Since 2006, the FDA had insisted that food firms include transfat content information on labels so that the users could make informed decision and as a result of which consumption of such items had fallen down drastically
- The FDA aims to revoke the current status of PHOs as a “generally recognised as safe” food product and reclassify it as a “food additive.” This implies that manufacturers would no longer be able to use the oils in other foods without prior regulator approval.
MonoSodium Glutamate (MSG) :
- One of the most abundant naturally-occurring non-essential amino acid.
- MSG is used in the food industry as a flavor enhancer. It is particularly popular in Korean, Japanese and Chinese cuisine.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation. The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits.
- MSG and its variants are not in the list of the parameters to be tested by FSSAI
- According to FSSA(Food safety and standards act) of India : foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot add a label “No added MSG” on their packaging, as this could give a misleading impression that the product contains no MSG.
- Added MSGmeans :many food brands add “taste enhancers” indirectly through hydrolysed vegetable protein and ribonucleotide (extracted from fish and meat), which are other forms of MSG. This enhances the taste four times more than what MSG does, according to experts..
High lead content is a health hazard because lead poisoning,
- Can affect cognitive development -> Damage to brain and nervous system can cause behavioural problems.
- Developmental delays , hyperactivity
- Anaemia , liver, kidney damage etc
- Poor muscle co ordination
- Damage to sensory and motor nerves
- Reproductive problems (decreased sperm count, Retarded fetal development)
- Increased BP , hearing and vision impairment
In News :
Because MAGGI Noodles which are supposed to be banned because of presence of
- lead levels higher than the permissible quantity of 2.5 ppm (parts per million);
- misleading labelling on the package that stated “No added MSG”; and
- Release of “Maggi Oats Masala Noodle with Tastemaker” without product approval.
MeitY launches internship scheme for Tech students In an effort to enhance skills of the youngsters, Ministry of Electronics and Information technology (MeitY) on Wednesday has launched ‘Digital India Internship Scheme’ ...READ MORE
Forest dept to take up seed ball dispersal in big afforestation drive The Forest department has decided to rope in citizens in a big way in afforestation to take up seed ...READ MORE
Pressure mounts on State to reduce VAT on petrol, diesel With Gujarat, Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh reducing Value Added Tax (VAT) on fuel from Wednesday, towing the line of the Centre ...READ MORE
The fire that broke out in the Kappatagudda foothills between Bidnal and Virapapur Lambani tandas on 3rd March night, has been completely doused. Fire and Emergency Services personnel, police, Forest department ...READ MORE
NASA has started a new programme for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) — comets and asteroids that pass by the Earth’s orbit — to ward off any potential impact ...READ MORE
ದಿನಕ್ಕೊಂದು ಯೋಜನೆ ಪ್ರೊ-ಆಕ್ಟಿವ್ ಗವರ್ನನ್ಸ್ ಮತ್ತು ಸಕಾಲಿಕ ಅನುಷ್ಠಾನ (PRAGATI) PRAGATI ಒಂದು ಅನನ್ಯವಾದ ಸಂಯೋಜನೆ ಮತ್ತು ಸಂವಾದಾತ್ಮಕ ವೇದಿಕೆಯಾಗಿದೆ. ವೇದಿಕೆಯು ಸಾಮಾನ್ಯ ಮನುಷ್ಯನ ಕುಂದುಕೊರತೆಗಳನ್ನು ಉದ್ದೇಶಿಸಿ, ಏಕಕಾಲದಲ್ಲಿ ಭಾರತದ ಸರ್ಕಾರದ ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳು ಮತ್ತು ಯೋಜನೆಗಳನ್ನು ಮೇಲ್ವಿಚಾರಣೆ ಮಾಡುವ ಮತ್ತು ಪರಿಶೀಲಿಸುವ ಉದ್ದೇಶದಿಂದ ...READ MORE
Fifteen primary health centres (PHCs) in six districts of Karnataka are set to get eLAJ smart clinics that will be equipped with multi-parameter monitors that enable multiple diagnostic tests and ...READ MORE
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
The project to move Tipu Sultan’s armoury has crossed a critical phase. The armoury is being moved 100 metres to make way for a railway track. The spectacular engineering effort is ...READ MORE
Second unit of Yeramarus power plant commissioned The second 800-MW unit of Yeramarus thermal plant in Raichur district was commissioned on 30th March. The first unit of the 2x800 MW plant was ...READ MORE
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 10th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 12th-13th
12 acres of Kappatagudda forest destroyed in fire
New NASA programme to protect Earth from asteroids,
ಪ್ರೊ-ಆಕ್ಟಿವ್ ಗವರ್ನನ್ಸ್ ಮತ್ತು ಸಕಾಲಿಕ ಅನುಷ್ಠಾನ (PRAGATI)
Primary Health Centres (PHCs) in six districts of
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
Karnataka: Tipu’s armoury shifting starts smooth
Current Affairs – Karnataka – KAS / KPSC