- Trans fats, also called partially hydrogenated oils, are created when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil to make it more solid. They do help give a more solid texture to certain foods, like baked goods.
- Saturated fats found in nuts, vegetable oils and fish are the best for you. Saturated fats mostly derived from animals are less healthy and should be less than 10 per cent of a person’s daily calories.
Why are they bad?
- Trans fats can raise “bad” cholesterol and lower “good” cholesterol. That can clog arteries and contributes to heart disease.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced that it will seek to eliminate majority of partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) from the country’s food supply by 2018.
- The decision comes after years of lobbying by health advocates and scientists that artificial oils, commonly called “trans fats”, clog arteries and raise the risk of heart disease.
- Since 2006, the FDA had insisted that food firms include transfat content information on labels so that the users could make informed decision and as a result of which consumption of such items had fallen down drastically
- The FDA aims to revoke the current status of PHOs as a “generally recognised as safe” food product and reclassify it as a “food additive.” This implies that manufacturers would no longer be able to use the oils in other foods without prior regulator approval.
MonoSodium Glutamate (MSG) :
- One of the most abundant naturally-occurring non-essential amino acid.
- MSG is used in the food industry as a flavor enhancer. It is particularly popular in Korean, Japanese and Chinese cuisine.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation. The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits.
- MSG and its variants are not in the list of the parameters to be tested by FSSAI
- According to FSSA(Food safety and standards act) of India : foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot add a label “No added MSG” on their packaging, as this could give a misleading impression that the product contains no MSG.
- Added MSGmeans :many food brands add “taste enhancers” indirectly through hydrolysed vegetable protein and ribonucleotide (extracted from fish and meat), which are other forms of MSG. This enhances the taste four times more than what MSG does, according to experts..
High lead content is a health hazard because lead poisoning,
- Can affect cognitive development -> Damage to brain and nervous system can cause behavioural problems.
- Developmental delays , hyperactivity
- Anaemia , liver, kidney damage etc
- Poor muscle co ordination
- Damage to sensory and motor nerves
- Reproductive problems (decreased sperm count, Retarded fetal development)
- Increased BP , hearing and vision impairment
In News :
Because MAGGI Noodles which are supposed to be banned because of presence of
- lead levels higher than the permissible quantity of 2.5 ppm (parts per million);
- misleading labelling on the package that stated “No added MSG”; and
- Release of “Maggi Oats Masala Noodle with Tastemaker” without product approval.
The Supreme Court on 24th March ordered that the stay granted on ritual ‘Made Snana’ performed by people from Malekudiya community in Dakshina Kannada district and elsewhere would continue till ...READ MORE
Karnataka government unveils the state flag, awaits Centre’s approval Chief minister Siddaramaiah on 8th March unveiled Karnataka’s flag and said it was a “historic decision” taken keeping in mind the history ...READ MORE
Aadhaar seeding helps in weeding out 8.5 lakh bogus ration cards in state Aadhaar seeding of ration cards has helped weed out 8.5 lakh bogus cards. The Food and Civil Supplies department ...READ MORE
Rural Energy Programmes National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP), Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy -2009 and Soura Belaku are the three programmes implemented under Rural Energy sector. National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP) Biogas is a clean, ...READ MORE
Plea to Centre to stop state from reducing deemed forest area The former chairman of the Western Ghats Task Force, Anant Hegde Ashisara, sought the intervention of the Central government in ...READ MORE
ISRO: After Mars, it’s time for Venus The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has invited scientists to suggest studies for a potential orbiter mission to Venus - somewhat similar to the ...READ MORE
ಅಣ್ಣಾ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಇಂದಿರಾ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ ಮಾದರಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ನಾಗರಿಕರಿಗೆ ಕಡಿಮೆ ದರದಲ್ಲಿ ಆಹಾರ ಪೂರೈಸುವ ಅಣ್ಣಾ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಕ್ಕೆ ಆಂಧ್ರಪ್ರದೇಶ ಮುಖ್ಯಮಂತ್ರಿ ಎನ್. ಚಂದ್ರಬಾಬು ನಾಯ್ಡು ಅವರು ಚಾಲನೆ ನೀಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ನೂತನವಾಗಿ ಉದ್ಘಾಟನೆಯಾಗಿರುವ ಈ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಐದು ರೂಪಾಯಿಗಳಿಗೆ ಉಪಹಾರ ಮತ್ತು ...READ MORE
Please find below the sample question paper of the previous year test-1 To Register yourself for the Test Series: https://www.instamojo.com/nammakpsc/?ref=profile_barREAD MORE
Drinking water supply schemes under Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission have been formulated in rural areas with surface water as source to tackle water quality problem. Habitations affected by chemical ...READ MORE
Aadhaar gets thumbs up from Supreme Court Why in news? The Supreme Court, in a majority opinion, upheld Aadhaar as a reasonable restriction on individual privacy that fulfils the government’s legitimate aim ...READ MORE
Karnataka: SC stay on ‘Made Snana’ to continue
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 8th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 4th
Rural Development-Rural Energy Programmes-National Biogas Manure and Management
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 14th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
12th ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
UPSC/KPSC TEST SERIES
Rural Development-Multi Village Scheme Project & Swachha Bharat
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 27th