- Trans fats, also called partially hydrogenated oils, are created when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil to make it more solid. They do help give a more solid texture to certain foods, like baked goods.
- Saturated fats found in nuts, vegetable oils and fish are the best for you. Saturated fats mostly derived from animals are less healthy and should be less than 10 per cent of a person’s daily calories.
Why are they bad?
- Trans fats can raise “bad” cholesterol and lower “good” cholesterol. That can clog arteries and contributes to heart disease.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced that it will seek to eliminate majority of partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) from the country’s food supply by 2018.
- The decision comes after years of lobbying by health advocates and scientists that artificial oils, commonly called “trans fats”, clog arteries and raise the risk of heart disease.
- Since 2006, the FDA had insisted that food firms include transfat content information on labels so that the users could make informed decision and as a result of which consumption of such items had fallen down drastically
- The FDA aims to revoke the current status of PHOs as a “generally recognised as safe” food product and reclassify it as a “food additive.” This implies that manufacturers would no longer be able to use the oils in other foods without prior regulator approval.
MonoSodium Glutamate (MSG) :
- One of the most abundant naturally-occurring non-essential amino acid.
- MSG is used in the food industry as a flavor enhancer. It is particularly popular in Korean, Japanese and Chinese cuisine.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation. The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits.
- MSG and its variants are not in the list of the parameters to be tested by FSSAI
- According to FSSA(Food safety and standards act) of India : foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot add a label “No added MSG” on their packaging, as this could give a misleading impression that the product contains no MSG.
- Added MSGmeans :many food brands add “taste enhancers” indirectly through hydrolysed vegetable protein and ribonucleotide (extracted from fish and meat), which are other forms of MSG. This enhances the taste four times more than what MSG does, according to experts..
High lead content is a health hazard because lead poisoning,
- Can affect cognitive development -> Damage to brain and nervous system can cause behavioural problems.
- Developmental delays , hyperactivity
- Anaemia , liver, kidney damage etc
- Poor muscle co ordination
- Damage to sensory and motor nerves
- Reproductive problems (decreased sperm count, Retarded fetal development)
- Increased BP , hearing and vision impairment
In News :
Because MAGGI Noodles which are supposed to be banned because of presence of
- lead levels higher than the permissible quantity of 2.5 ppm (parts per million);
- misleading labelling on the package that stated “No added MSG”; and
- Release of “Maggi Oats Masala Noodle with Tastemaker” without product approval.
ಎನ್ಸಿಸಿ ರೀತಿ ಎನ್-ಯೆಸ್ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಯುವ ಸಮುದಾಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಶಿಸ್ತುಬದ್ಧ ಜೀವನಕ್ರಮ ಮತ್ತು ದೇಶಪ್ರೇಮ ಮೂಡಿಸುವ ಉದ್ದೇಶದಿಂದ ಪ್ರತಿ ವರ್ಷ 10 ಲಕ್ಷ ಯುವಕರು ಮತ್ತು ಯುವತಿಯರಿಗೆ ತರಬೇತಿ ನೀಡಲು ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಚಿಂತನೆ ನಡೆಸಿದೆ. ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಯುವ ಸಬಲೀಕರಣ ಯೋಜನೆ (ಎನ್-ವೈಇಎಸ್) ಎಂಬ ಈ ...READ MORE
VTU asks colleges to incubate startups Following in the footsteps of the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore and other institutes that support fledgling entrepreneurs, Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) has instructed all ...READ MORE
110 ಲಕ್ಷ ಟನ್ ದಾಟಿದ ಆಹಾರ ಧಾನ್ಯ ಸತತ ಬರಗಾಲದಿಂದ ಕಂಗೆಟ್ಟಿದ್ದ ರಾಜ್ಯಕ್ಕೆ ಕಳೆದ ಮುಂಗಾರು ಅವಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಬಿದ್ದ ಹೆಚ್ಚುವರಿ ಮಳೆ ಬಂಪರ್ ಇಳುವರಿಗೆ ಕಾರಣವಾಗಿದ್ದು, 2017-18ರಲ್ಲಿ 110 ಲಕ್ಷ ಟನ್ ಆಹಾರ ಧಾನ್ಯಗಳ ಉತ್ಪಾದನೆಯಾಗಿದೆ. ಮುಂಗಾರು, ಹಿಂಗಾರು ಹಾಗೂ ಬೇಸಿಗೆ ಹಂಗಾಮು ಸೇರಿ ...READ MORE
Uranium mining to move out of Gujanal to uninhabited areas Uranium mining is being moved out of Gujanal village in Gokak taluk of Belagavi district after complaints from villagers that deep ...READ MORE
ISRO: After Mars, it’s time for Venus The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has invited scientists to suggest studies for a potential orbiter mission to Venus - somewhat similar to the ...READ MORE
Metro rail is a vital component of the transformation of the urban transport scenario in India. With urban population continuously growing, there is a need for green solutions. Mass Rapid Transit Systems are fast, safe and ...READ MORE
Govt. plans ‘ISRO-like’ ocean mission Why in news? Looking to emulate the success of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in designing and launching satellites, the Centre has drawn up a five-year, ...READ MORE
'Year of Wild' campaign brings profit to tourism dept By promoting Karnataka as a tourism-friendly destination under the theme of 'Year of the Wild', in 2017- 18, the state has seen ...READ MORE
CM dedicates Pavagada solar plant to nation Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, on 2nd March, said the mega solar power plant set up here was the eighth wonder of the world and a ...READ MORE
Drone begins mapping boundaries of properties The Survey Settlement and Land Records (SSLR) Department, in coordination with the Survey of India, has taken up a pilot initiative to map properties, with ...READ MORE
18th July ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 11th
“19th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Urban Development-Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL)
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 30th July
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 4th April
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 2nd
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 11th &