- Trans fats, also called partially hydrogenated oils, are created when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil to make it more solid. They do help give a more solid texture to certain foods, like baked goods.
- Saturated fats found in nuts, vegetable oils and fish are the best for you. Saturated fats mostly derived from animals are less healthy and should be less than 10 per cent of a person’s daily calories.
Why are they bad?
- Trans fats can raise “bad” cholesterol and lower “good” cholesterol. That can clog arteries and contributes to heart disease.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced that it will seek to eliminate majority of partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) from the country’s food supply by 2018.
- The decision comes after years of lobbying by health advocates and scientists that artificial oils, commonly called “trans fats”, clog arteries and raise the risk of heart disease.
- Since 2006, the FDA had insisted that food firms include transfat content information on labels so that the users could make informed decision and as a result of which consumption of such items had fallen down drastically
- The FDA aims to revoke the current status of PHOs as a “generally recognised as safe” food product and reclassify it as a “food additive.” This implies that manufacturers would no longer be able to use the oils in other foods without prior regulator approval.
MonoSodium Glutamate (MSG) :
- One of the most abundant naturally-occurring non-essential amino acid.
- MSG is used in the food industry as a flavor enhancer. It is particularly popular in Korean, Japanese and Chinese cuisine.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation. The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits.
- MSG and its variants are not in the list of the parameters to be tested by FSSAI
- According to FSSA(Food safety and standards act) of India : foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot add a label “No added MSG” on their packaging, as this could give a misleading impression that the product contains no MSG.
- Added MSGmeans :many food brands add “taste enhancers” indirectly through hydrolysed vegetable protein and ribonucleotide (extracted from fish and meat), which are other forms of MSG. This enhances the taste four times more than what MSG does, according to experts..
High lead content is a health hazard because lead poisoning,
- Can affect cognitive development -> Damage to brain and nervous system can cause behavioural problems.
- Developmental delays , hyperactivity
- Anaemia , liver, kidney damage etc
- Poor muscle co ordination
- Damage to sensory and motor nerves
- Reproductive problems (decreased sperm count, Retarded fetal development)
- Increased BP , hearing and vision impairment
In News :
Because MAGGI Noodles which are supposed to be banned because of presence of
- lead levels higher than the permissible quantity of 2.5 ppm (parts per million);
- misleading labelling on the package that stated “No added MSG”; and
- Release of “Maggi Oats Masala Noodle with Tastemaker” without product approval.
The Mission aims at creating economically productive, efficient, equitable and responsive cities. It is being implemented in the cities of Bengaluru and Mysuru in Karnataka with KUIDFC as the Nodal Agency. The ...READ MORE
First Rashtrakoota Utsava held in Kalaburagi The department of Kannada and Culture and the Kalaburagi district administration is hosting a Rashtrakoota Utsava for the first time. The celebrations kicked off at Malakhedanalli, ...READ MORE
The state Cabinet on 22nd Feb decided to increase the ratio in shortlisting the number of candidates for personality test for gazetted probationers’ examination conducted by the Karnataka Public Service ...READ MORE
Mysuru police gets 'Mobile Commando Centre' The city police have procured a hi-tech vehicle 'Mobile Commando Centre', which has several features to have tabs on anti-social activities. The vehicle, developed in Punjab, ...READ MORE
The year 2016 marks an end of the era of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which drove the global development agenda since the new millennium. The MDGs have paved the way for ...READ MORE
The Cabinet on 15th Feb gave in-principle approval for implementing the long-pending Mekedatu multipurpose project utilising the Cauvery river water at a cost of Rs 5,912 crore. The project will help ...READ MORE
The railways have started installing point of sale (PoS) machines at as many as 73 reservation counters. The facility will also be made available at parcel counters, where payments can be ...READ MORE
TADF is a new scheme to facilitate acquisition of Clean, Green & Energy Efficient Technologies, in form of Technology / Customised Products / Specialised Services / Patents / Industrial Design ...READ MORE
Piped natural gas and compressed natural gas will soon be available in Tumakuru, Belagavi and Dharwad districts. Work on the City Gas Distribution (CGD) project has already begun in these districts. Petroleum ...READ MORE
ಕ್ಷಯರೋಗ ಆಂದೋಲನ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ ? ರಾಜ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿ 'ಕ್ಷಯರೋಗ'(ಟಿಬಿ) ನಿಯಂತ್ರಣಕ್ಕೆ ಮುಂದಾಗಿರುವ ಆರೋಗ್ಯ ಇಲಾಖೆ ಜು. 2ರಿಂದ 13ರವರೆಗೆ ಸಕ್ರಿಯ ಕ್ಷಯರೋಗ ಪತ್ತೆ ಆಂದೋಲನ ಕೈಗೊಂಡಿದೆ. ಪರಿಷ್ಕೃತ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಕ್ಷಯರೋಗ ನಿಯಂತ್ರಣ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮ'ದಡಿ ಬಿಬಿಎಂಪಿ ಸೇರಿದಂತೆ 31 ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಆಂದೋಲನ ನಡೆಸಲಿದೆ. ಹನ್ನೆರಡು ದಿನಗಳ ...READ MORE
Urban Development: Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 4th
Karnataka: KAS personality test ratio goes up, 1:5
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 18th-19th
SDG 3: big agenda, big opportunities for India
Karnataka: Cabinet approves 5,912-cr Mekedatu reservoir project
Karnataka: Railways instals PoS machines at 73 reservation
Technology Acquisition and Development Fund
Tumakuru, Belagavi & Dharwad districts to soon get
“2nd ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”