- Gross Domestic Product was 7.6 per cent in the second quarter of the last fiscal.
- The Indian economy grew at 7.3 per cent in the September quarter of current fiscal, up from 7.1 per cent in the previous three months, mainly on improved performance of manufacturing, services and trade sectors.
- Gross domestic product grew by 7.3% in the quarter ended September, a slight increase from the previous quarter and much stronger than China’s 6.7%.
- That means India is still the fastest growing major economy in the world.
- The boom could come to an abrupt halt, however, when data for the current October-December quarter is published early next year.
- That’s because a bombshell announcement on Nov. 8 scrapping the 500 and 1,000 rupee notes has drained billions of dollars worth of cash from the economy.
- According to the data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), the Gross Value Added (GVA), which is estimated at the basic price, showed a growth of 7.1 per cent in the second quarter of 2016-17, compared to 7.3 per in the year ago period.
- The GDP growth data is calculated under the new methodology at market price, while GVA is calculated primarily at factor cost. GDP is GVA plus taxes on products, minus subsidies on them.
- The sectors which registered growth of over 7 per cent in July-September quarter are public administration, defence and other services, financial, insurance, real estate and professional services, manufacturing and trade, hotels and transport and communication and services related to broadcasting.
- Growth in agriculture and mining and quarrying and construction is estimated to be 1.8 per cent and 1.5 per cent respectively. Forestry and fishing sector declined by 0.4 per cent.
- Analysts estimate growth over the next two quarters could drop by as much as 1% or more. Fitch Ratings this week cut its growth forecast for the current financial year to 6.9% from 7.4%.
- But if India succeeds in bringing more “black money” into the banking system, and getting a bump in tax revenues as a result, it could remain an attractive bet for foreign investors, particularly if it presses ahead with other reforms.
Cable TV Services in Urban Areas will be digital from 1st January 2016 The cable TV is one of the most popular medium of mass entertainment & education. The country has ...READ MORE
MINISTRY - The Tourism Ministry AIM - to develop theme-based tourist circuits in the country. These tourist circuits will be developed on the principles of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an ...READ MORE
Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme has been in operation in all the districts of Karnataka State since 2006-07 which is being implemented in a phased manner. The primary ...READ MORE
The Government has launched Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) in the country. The aim, objective and salient features of CCTNS are : To fully computerize the process of crime ...READ MORE
A draft notification by the Karnataka Department of Labour proposes to revise the common minimum wage for workers in 23 industries early next year This includes those working in industries like ...READ MORE
The Ministry of Urban Development, GOI brought out a National Sanitation Policy in 2008. The vision for urban sanitation in India is set forth thus:“All Indian cities and towns become totally sanitized, healthy and ...READ MORE
Satellite-based navigation system In News: The GPS-Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system, which will offer seamless navigation to the aviation industry, was recently launched by the Civil Aviation Minister. GAGAN was develped ...READ MORE
A new chapter in the country’s transport sector has been initiated which moves towards clean fuel, India’s first liquefied natural gas-driven bus was launched in Kerala. Union Petroleum and Natural Gas ...READ MORE
The 68th Republic Day parade in New Delhi's Rajpath was a colourful affair tableaux from 17 states and Union Territories showcased the varied historical, art and cultural heritage of the ...READ MORE
Cable TV digitisation
Swadesh Darshan Scheme
Rural Development- Rural Employment and Livelihood-
Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems
Proposal to hike minimum wages in 23 industries
Urban Development-Sanitation (Including Sewerage and Drainage)
GPS-Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system
Kerala becomes first State in India to roll
India Celebrate 68th Republic Day – Highlights
How is the Union Budget Prepared?