- Gross Domestic Product was 7.6 per cent in the second quarter of the last fiscal.
- The Indian economy grew at 7.3 per cent in the September quarter of current fiscal, up from 7.1 per cent in the previous three months, mainly on improved performance of manufacturing, services and trade sectors.
- Gross domestic product grew by 7.3% in the quarter ended September, a slight increase from the previous quarter and much stronger than China’s 6.7%.
- That means India is still the fastest growing major economy in the world.
- The boom could come to an abrupt halt, however, when data for the current October-December quarter is published early next year.
- That’s because a bombshell announcement on Nov. 8 scrapping the 500 and 1,000 rupee notes has drained billions of dollars worth of cash from the economy.
- According to the data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), the Gross Value Added (GVA), which is estimated at the basic price, showed a growth of 7.1 per cent in the second quarter of 2016-17, compared to 7.3 per in the year ago period.
- The GDP growth data is calculated under the new methodology at market price, while GVA is calculated primarily at factor cost. GDP is GVA plus taxes on products, minus subsidies on them.
- The sectors which registered growth of over 7 per cent in July-September quarter are public administration, defence and other services, financial, insurance, real estate and professional services, manufacturing and trade, hotels and transport and communication and services related to broadcasting.
- Growth in agriculture and mining and quarrying and construction is estimated to be 1.8 per cent and 1.5 per cent respectively. Forestry and fishing sector declined by 0.4 per cent.
- Analysts estimate growth over the next two quarters could drop by as much as 1% or more. Fitch Ratings this week cut its growth forecast for the current financial year to 6.9% from 7.4%.
- But if India succeeds in bringing more “black money” into the banking system, and getting a bump in tax revenues as a result, it could remain an attractive bet for foreign investors, particularly if it presses ahead with other reforms.
The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)was set up under NITI. In the budget for 2014-15, Rs 150 crore was allotted for the innovation mission, which will replace the National Innovation Council, a ...READ MORE
The Rajya Sabha passed the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015, The bill seeks to make the resolution of cheque bounce cases a speedier and less inconvenient affair. It introduces an amendment that ...READ MORE
BDA to maintain 379.22 acres as public space The Cabinet has given approval for handing over to BDA 379.22 acres of land comprising tankbed, gomal and government land in Arkavathy and ...READ MORE
Nine biomethanisation plants commissioned in 2014 were shut down by the first week of January after a tussle between the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike and the contractor. The biomethanisation plant in ...READ MORE
Indian Railways has initiated a comprehensive proposal in collaboration with The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to revamp Mumbai’s Bandra Sub-Urban Station Under an agreement between Indian Railways ...READ MORE
Municipal Reforms Cell –DMA • An exclusive cell dedicated for municipal reforms. • Managed by Senior KAS and KMAS Officers and Professionals hired directly from the market. • The cell has in house Data Center with centralized ...READ MORE
The Government of Karnataka today said it welcomes Apple Inc.'s proposal to commence initial manufacturing operations in the city. "Apple’s intentions to manufacture in Bengaluru will foster cutting edge technology eco ...READ MORE
Scientific name Falco amurensis Conservation status IUCN- Least Concern Conservation efforts in Nagaland, India Introduction Amur Falcon is a small raptor of the falcon family.Its a small, slender, pigeon-sized bird of prey, and is noteworthy for undertaking ...READ MORE
What is Pravasi Bharatiy Divas? Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (Non-Resident Indian Day), is celebrated in India on 9 January each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the ...READ MORE
Atal Innovation Mission
Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Clash between BBMP and contractor leads to closure
Bandra Station- Queen of suburbs
Urban Development – Municipal Reforms Cell –DMA &
Apple may start manufacturing in Bengaluru
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: State to showcase startup prowess
Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System