- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Thursday announced that Dharamsala town in Kangra district will be the second state capital.
- Singh said the city fully deserved the status because of its history and significance.
- According to The Tribue, the chief minister belives that Dharmsala holds special importance and value in lower areas of the state like Chamba, Hamirpur, Kangra and Una districts.
- He also highlighted the importance of the city, saying it attracted people from across the world. He added that tourism had changed the town’s fortune.
- The chief minister said that the people of these areas would now benefit from the decision and that they would not be required to travel long distances to come to Shimla for their works.
- Dharamsala already figured prominently in national and international map due to its significance owing to many reasons including religious, natural and adventurous tourism and also being abode of Tibetan Spiritual head Dalai Lama.
- Dharamsala is a city in Himachal’s Kangra district. It was formerly known as Bhagsu.
- Dharamshala is a city in the upper reaches of the Kangra Valley and is surrounded by dense coniferous forest consisting mainly of stately Deodar cedar trees.
- The suburbs include McLeodGanj, Bhagsunath, Dharamkot, Naddi, ForsythGanj, Kotwali Bazaar (the main market), Kaccheri Adda (government offices such as the court, police, post, etc.), Dari, Ramnagar, Sidhpur, and Sidhbari (where the Karmapa is based).
- It was selected as one of the hundred Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under PM Narendra Modi’s flagship Smart Cities Mission. Dharamshala has held 12 Winter Sessions of the state Assembly.
- The Dalai Lama’s residence and the headquarters of Central Tibetan Administration (the Tibetan government in exile) are in Dharamsala.
- A complete Vidhan Sabha building exists in Dharamsala for which the foundation was laid in his last tenure in 2006. This town has already been a witness of holding 12 winter sessions of the assembly so far.
- Dharamshala has been selected as one of the hundred Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under PM Narendra Modi’s flagship Smart Cities Mission.
Indian badminton ace Saina Nehwal notched up her first title after a career-threatening injury by claiming the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Goldwith a hard-fought victory in the summit clash on ...READ MORE
Historically, the armed forces employed women only as doctors or nurses, and started allowing them to serve as short service commission officers in the 1990s. The Indian military has refused women ...READ MORE
The report was commissioned to identify the changing dynamics of the workforce with regard to prevention of sexual harassment of women, revealed that uncertainty, caution and introspection were highly prevalent ...READ MORE
The Cabinet approved the National Mineral Exploration Policy setting the stage for auctioning exploration permits to private sector players on a revenue-sharing basis starting with 100 identified mineral blocks over ...READ MORE
An estimated million people are joining India’s workforce every month, thanks to its demographic dividend of a high number of youth in the population. As of now, the only employment data ...READ MORE
The country is witnessing a start-up revolution and to harness the potential of India’s innovators and entrepreneurs a vibrant financial ecosystem is essential. India’s is at number three in terms of Start-ups ...READ MORE
What is apprenticeship? An apprenticeship is a system of training a new generation of practitioners of a trade or profession with on-the-job training and often some accompanying study (classroom work and ...READ MORE
The highlights of this scheme There will be a uniform premium of only 2% to be paid by farmers for all Kharif crops and 1.5% for all Rabi crops. In case ...READ MORE
Antibiotic resistance simply put is when infection-causing bacteria is not killed by an antibiotic that was effective earlier, the bacteria continue to thrive. Treatment options shrink further when multiple antibiotics fail ...READ MORE
Sports: Saina Nehwal Lifts Malaysia Masters Grand Prix
Women in the armed forces
Fostering Safe Workplaces- Report by FICCI – EY
New National Mineral Exploration Policy
Govt plans to institute one of its kind Annual
Start ups ecosystem in India
National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana – A boost
Labour reform bills to be introduced