- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Thursday announced that Dharamsala town in Kangra district will be the second state capital.
- Singh said the city fully deserved the status because of its history and significance.
- According to The Tribue, the chief minister belives that Dharmsala holds special importance and value in lower areas of the state like Chamba, Hamirpur, Kangra and Una districts.
- He also highlighted the importance of the city, saying it attracted people from across the world. He added that tourism had changed the town’s fortune.
- The chief minister said that the people of these areas would now benefit from the decision and that they would not be required to travel long distances to come to Shimla for their works.
- Dharamsala already figured prominently in national and international map due to its significance owing to many reasons including religious, natural and adventurous tourism and also being abode of Tibetan Spiritual head Dalai Lama.
- Dharamsala is a city in Himachal’s Kangra district. It was formerly known as Bhagsu.
- Dharamshala is a city in the upper reaches of the Kangra Valley and is surrounded by dense coniferous forest consisting mainly of stately Deodar cedar trees.
- The suburbs include McLeodGanj, Bhagsunath, Dharamkot, Naddi, ForsythGanj, Kotwali Bazaar (the main market), Kaccheri Adda (government offices such as the court, police, post, etc.), Dari, Ramnagar, Sidhpur, and Sidhbari (where the Karmapa is based).
- It was selected as one of the hundred Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under PM Narendra Modi’s flagship Smart Cities Mission. Dharamshala has held 12 Winter Sessions of the state Assembly.
- The Dalai Lama’s residence and the headquarters of Central Tibetan Administration (the Tibetan government in exile) are in Dharamsala.
- A complete Vidhan Sabha building exists in Dharamsala for which the foundation was laid in his last tenure in 2006. This town has already been a witness of holding 12 winter sessions of the assembly so far.
- Dharamshala has been selected as one of the hundred Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under PM Narendra Modi’s flagship Smart Cities Mission.
Scientists have set out to explore the medicinal properties of the Ganga water This will help to either use the pristine water or elements isolated from it in clinical therapies. While four ...READ MORE
An app under the aegis of the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been developed to aid fishermen to increase their catch and reduce the cost of operations, the ...READ MORE
The union government approved the hybrid annuity model for building national highways, paving the way for construction of 28 projects worth Rs. 36,000 crore this fiscal year. The move will speed ...READ MORE
The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)was set up under NITI. In the budget for 2014-15, Rs 150 crore was allotted for the innovation mission, which will replace the National Innovation Council, a ...READ MORE
As per the latest assessment (Year-2011) of Dynamic Ground Water Resources, carried out jointly by Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) and the State Governments, out of 6607 assessment units (Blocks/ ...READ MORE
Satellite-based navigation system In News: The GPS-Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system, which will offer seamless navigation to the aviation industry, was recently launched by the Civil Aviation Minister. GAGAN was develped ...READ MORE
The Centre is going to implement a comprehensive plan to develop Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands, for an integrated modernisation of the region, under its ‘Sagarmala’ initiative. The plan is ...READ MORE
The Labour Ministry has mooted the idea of forming a National Social Security Authority and a separate Social Security Department within the ministry to provide social security to the entire ...READ MORE
Bank consolidation India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) formally started merger of 5 associative banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank with itself. The merged entity will have India’s one-fourth of ...READ MORE
Ganga water for medicinal properties
New mobile app to help fishermen
All you need to know about HYBRID ANNUITY
Atal Innovation Mission
Ground water management
GPS-Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system
Indian islands to be developed under Swiss challenge
Social security authority proposed
All you need to know- Bank consolidation
Deloitte-CII survey on manufacturing firms