- RuPay is a combination of two words – Rupee and Payment. RuPay Card is an Indian version of credit/debit card. It is very similar to international cards such as Visa/Master.
- Government has instructed state owned banks to issue RuPay debit cards to their customers. This looks like a clear indication to promote these cards
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) initiated the launch of RuPay card in India. It was done with the intention of integration of payment systems in the country. It has also tied up with Discover Financial Services firm for promoting this.
- It was created to fulfil the Reserve Bank of India’s desire to have a domestic, open loop, and multilateral system of payments in India. RuPay facilitates electronic payment at all Indian banks and financial institutions, and competes with MasterCard and Visa in India.
- NPCI maintains ties with Discover Financial to enable the card scheme to gain international acceptance.
How does RuPay Card works?
- RuPay debit cards are similar any other debit cards that you might hold now.
- The card can be accessed in the 1.45 lakh ATMs and 8.75 lakh POS terminals across the country. It will also be accepted on 10,000 e-commerce websites. All major public sector banks, including SBI, have started issuing these cards to all their customers.
- The card also comes with a high end technology chip named EMV (Europay, Master Card and Visa) especially for high end transactions. It also has an embedded micro processor circuit with information about the card holder.
How is it different from Master/Visa Card?
- The first major difference is the RuPay is India’s own domestic card with its own payment gateway.
- Since every transaction through RuPay will take place within India, the banks will have to pay less service charge to the payment gateway as compared to Visa, MasterCard and others. For e.g. If a person does a transaction of say Rs. 2,000 then banks will have to pay around Rs.. 2.50 when RuPay is used whereas for the same transaction amount, Visa or Mastercard will charge Rs. 3.25.
- Technically , transactions done through international cards is processed in foreign country which involves higher charge which helps in generating profit for Visa/MasterCard whereas RuPay transactions would happen domestically so charge would be less.
- It is a domestic product with less transaction costs compared to visa debit card which has processing in foreign countries.
- In case of international cards banks have to pay entry fee to be a part of their network which is not the case with RuPay card i.e. no joining fee for the banks.
Other Features of RuPay Card
- RuPay also provides a unified “Kisan Card”, issued by banks across the country under Kisan Credit Card, enabling farmers to transact business on ATMs and PoS terminals.
- RuPay cards got a major boost through the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana as RuPay cards were issued to all Jan Dhan accounts. In spite of the critics saying most accounts are dormant, RuPay cards are now widely used by Jan Dhan Card holders.
- PUNGRAIN (Punjab Grains Procurement Corporation Ltd), pays commission agents through the RuPay Debit Card, and developed a commission agents network called the Kisan Arhtia Information and Remittance Online Network (KAIRON) with the help of the National Payments Corporation of India.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank in partnership with RuPay rolled out an initiative for financial inclusion, where the dairy farmers across 75 cooperative societies of AMUL in regions of Burdwan and Hooghly of West Bengal will be able to get their payments directly into their account on the same day of sale of milk.
- The same model is planned to be adopted in the state of Gujarat where 1200 cooperative societies comprising over 300,000 dairy farmers will be the part of the programme.
Property ID numbers in February The long-awaited Property Identification (PID) number will be launched by the BBMP in the first week of February. Once it is launched, there will be an app ...READ MORE
All India Radio has launched a 24-hour satellite classical music channel, ‘Raagam’, which will be available via DTH (with no transmitter support as with its other channels) and mobile app ...READ MORE
The Union government on Sunday launched the first phase of the all India Measles and Rubella (MR) vaccine immunisation campaign from Bengaluru for the four states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, ...READ MORE
The State government has borrowed Rs 90,000 crore during the last four years. The total debt stock in 2012-13, when the present Congress government came to power, stood at Rs 1.18 ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the "Digital India Week" on 1st July, 2015Following are the projects and products that have been launched, or are ready for deployment, as part of ...READ MORE
3,515 Karnataka farmers committed suicide in five years As many as 3,515 farmers in Karnataka committed suicide between April 2013 and November 2017, out of which 2,525 were due to drought ...READ MORE
Expected big news - Budget expected to focus on direct taxes While there are unlikely to be any major changes in indirect tax as most of them are now under the ...READ MORE
The BMRDA had prepared the Structure Plan in 1998 based on the availability and future prospects in respect of the natural resources and infrastructure and the trend of urbanization in the region. The Structure Plan was ...READ MORE
India signs MoU with Republic of Korea - bilateral air service cooperation India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with South Korea or Republic of Korea (RoK) after negotiations to enhance bilateral ...READ MORE
Siddaganga seer awarded Bhagwan Mahaveer Peace award Siddaganga Mutt seer Shivakumara Swamy has been selected for the first Sri Bhagwan Mahaveer Peace award instituted by the Department of Kannada and Culture. The ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 9th
AIR launches 24-hour classical music channel
Measles-Rubella vaccine drive launched; to cover 1.65 cr
K’taka: State govt’s debt stock mounts to whopping
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 27th-28th
Get ready for the Budget 2018
Urban Development: Structure Plan & BBMP
India- South Korea
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams