- It is possible to get an image or design of your choice embossed on pearls while they are being formed in the oysters – “Image pearl farming” is all about such a delicate process
- Karnataka is slowly trying to gain a foothold in this highly skilled process in the last two-and-a-half years with a substantial number of farmers getting trained in freshwater image pearl farming.
How is it done
- Pearls are nothing but a natural secretion called nacre deposited over months by oysters.
- The Fisheries Department of the University of Agricultural Sciences-Bengaluru trains the farmers in image pearl farming. About 300 farmers have been trained in the last two-and-a-half years.
- The process starts by procuring oysters from different States
- Oysters can be easily transported as they can live without water for three days. After acclimatising the oysters to the local conditions for about two months, the farmers carefully open up their shells with sophisticated instruments
- They further carefully implant moulds of images/designs made out of bio-compatible material inside the shells of oysters to shape the formation of the pearl.
- After the implant, the oysters are allowed to recuperate for about a week in aerated condition before releasing them into ponds.
- It would take about nine months for the image/design pearls to emerge after the implantation. The image pearls will be recovered by cutting open the shells
Source of income
- Pearl farming can be integrated with fish rearing. This would help increase the incomes of farmers
- While 300 farmers have been trained, only about 40 farmers have been seriously practising image pearl farming as it is a highly skilled job
The Industrial Policy of the state aims at industrialization in backward regions and also development of industrial corridors and identifying potential locations to set up industries. In this context, it is ...READ MORE
Citizens can apply online for regularisation of their properties under the Akrama-Sakrama scheme may have to wait at least a week as the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) is yet to ...READ MORE
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of embryos Britain granted its first licence for the genetic modification of human embryos as part of research into infertility and why miscarriages happen, ...READ MORE
The government is striving to introduce five more labour reform legislations in the winter session of Parliament, including the bills to introduce a new wage and industrial relations code and ...READ MORE
Padma Awards are the highest civilian Awards of the country conferred in three categories Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. This year, President of India Pranab Mukherjee approved conferment of ...READ MORE
Polyhouse farming/ shelter farming is an alternative new technique in agriculture gaining foothold in rural India. In Karnataka Polyhouse farming a part of Krishi bhagya programme of GOK It reduces dependency on rainfall and ...READ MORE
Food and Civil Supplies Minister U T Khader on 27th Feb said that the state government will have to discontinue supply of sugar through PDS if the Centre does not restore its ...READ MORE
Municipal Reforms Cell –DMA • An exclusive cell dedicated for municipal reforms. • Managed by Senior KAS and KMAS Officers and Professionals hired directly from the market. • The cell has in house Data Center with centralized ...READ MORE
Drinking water supply schemes under Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission have been formulated in rural areas with surface water as source to tackle water quality problem. Habitations affected by chemical ...READ MORE
What is Jallikattu? Jallikattu is an ancient bull taming blood sport played in Tamil Nadu. It's a part of Pongal celebrations on Mattu Pongal day According to experts, the term Jallikattu is derived ...READ MORE
Urban Development – Regional Development
Akrama-Sakrama online process to start after a week
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of
Labour reform bills to be introduced
Padma Awards: Seven Padma awardees from Karnataka –
Poly house farming
Karnataka: Govt may stop supplying PDS sugar
Urban Development – Municipal Reforms Cell –DMA &
Rural Development-Multi Village Scheme Project & Swachha Bharat
Jallikattu Explained – History – Controversy – PETA