- It is possible to get an image or design of your choice embossed on pearls while they are being formed in the oysters – “Image pearl farming” is all about such a delicate process
- Karnataka is slowly trying to gain a foothold in this highly skilled process in the last two-and-a-half years with a substantial number of farmers getting trained in freshwater image pearl farming.
How is it done
- Pearls are nothing but a natural secretion called nacre deposited over months by oysters.
- The Fisheries Department of the University of Agricultural Sciences-Bengaluru trains the farmers in image pearl farming. About 300 farmers have been trained in the last two-and-a-half years.
- The process starts by procuring oysters from different States
- Oysters can be easily transported as they can live without water for three days. After acclimatising the oysters to the local conditions for about two months, the farmers carefully open up their shells with sophisticated instruments
- They further carefully implant moulds of images/designs made out of bio-compatible material inside the shells of oysters to shape the formation of the pearl.
- After the implant, the oysters are allowed to recuperate for about a week in aerated condition before releasing them into ponds.
- It would take about nine months for the image/design pearls to emerge after the implantation. The image pearls will be recovered by cutting open the shells
Source of income
- Pearl farming can be integrated with fish rearing. This would help increase the incomes of farmers
- While 300 farmers have been trained, only about 40 farmers have been seriously practising image pearl farming as it is a highly skilled job
The Karnataka government’s spending on infrastructure development, also called capital expenditure, has declined over the years, mainly on account of shrinking revenue surplus position and slackness in tax efforts. The capital ...READ MORE
Introduction ∗ Bioleaching is the extraction of metals from their ores through the use of living organisms. ∗ It is the Conversion of insoluble metal sulfides into water-soluble metal sulfates. ∗ Nowadays bioleaching ...READ MORE
The Supreme Court expressed alarm at the apparent lack of concern shown by the government’s delay in filing a response to a PIL petition against the practice of dedicating girls ...READ MORE
The Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015 was passed by the Parliament recently The provisions of the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Act, 2015 shall be deemed to have come into force on the ...READ MORE
The North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme (NKUSIP) is the third Asian Development Bank assisted urban development project in Karnataka. The expected impact of the Investment Program is improved urban infrastructure ...READ MORE
Aadhaar Bill Finance Minister Arun Jaitley introduced the Aadhaar Bill, 2016, in the Lok Sabha. Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016 The Bill provides statutory backing ...READ MORE
Karnataka MobileOne, the flagship application launched by the State government in 2014, bagged the Gold award at the World Governance Summit in Dubai Secretary, Department of e-Governance, Srivatsa Krishna, received the ...READ MORE
Aviation MRO in the country is currently worth $ 700 million and is set to reach $ 2 billion by 2020 Maintenance, repair and operations(MRO) involves fixing any sort of mechanical, ...READ MORE
The Channapatna handcraft can be traced to the reign of Tipu Sultan who invited artisans from Persia to train local artisans in the making of the wooden toys. The traditional wooden ...READ MORE
The state Cabinet on 22nd Feb decided to increase the ratio in shortlisting the number of candidates for personality test for gazetted probationers’ examination conducted by the Karnataka Public Service ...READ MORE
Karnataka Government’s spending on infrastructure comes down
Devadasis practice in Karnataka
Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015 notified
Urban Development: North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme
Aadhar Bill 2016
Karnataka MobileOne bags award
Maintenance, repair and operations(MRO) industry
Channapatna craft losing sheen
Karnataka: KAS personality test ratio goes up, 1:5