- The ministries of Telecom and Information and Broadcasting have agreed to use over 200 MHz spectrum earmarked for broadcasting services for advance mobile services.
- The decision was conveyed to the delegation in ITU. If India is firm on this band for mobile services now, the ecosystem will take around 5—8 years to develop,
- Once ITU decides it to be allocated for mobile services in the Asian region, DoT will pitch for it to be deployed for wireless broadband services
- India has already represented at World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC) through DoT to get this band for mobile services
- It has the potential to support a boom in machine-to-machine communication like real—time surveillance using wireless video camera and transmission of health record automatically to hospitals.
- At WRC, India supported inclusion of 470—698 MHz for international mobile telecommunications (IMT) service area. It is a good step forward, especially for broadband coverage in rural areas
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a body under the United Nations, coordinates with countries to allocate spectrum for various technologies.
- However, ITU could not approve usage of this spectrum for advance mobile services as Iran objected to interference in services from Pakistan. Pakistan, in turn, was opposed to its use in India
- A big chunk of spectrum in 450 MHz band in India is marked for broadcast services, including over 100 MHz spectrum between 585 MHz—698 MHz. The majority of this is with Doordarshan. It may not need entire spectrum between 470—698 MHz
- Doordarshan has vacated 700 MHz band spectrum, which the government is planning to auction now. Early this year, the spectrum auction of about 380 MHz airwaves across various bands fetched government bids worth Rs 1.1 lakh crore.
- For the sake of perspective, France, which is around one—fifth of India’s size, recently realised about USD 2.98 billion from the auction of 30 MHz of paired frequency.
- In Brazil, the 450 MHz band is being used for 4G services at a very low cost, especially at locations where the population is less. The technology is still being evolved to address issues like interference.
Nuclear energy India Brazil Strategic Partnership, since its beginning in 2006, has focused on multilateral diplomatic team work for common global goals, sidelining difficult issues such as nuclear energy. But Brazil ...READ MORE
The RPBD is an annual event organised by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), as part of its outreach to the Indian Diaspora in various global regions. So far ...READ MORE
In a surprise development kept secret until their meeting was over, Indian and Pakistani National Security Advisers led delegations for talks in Bangkok The discussions covered peace and security, terrorism, Jammu ...READ MORE
INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday. The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted ...READ MORE
To monitor vehicular pollution, the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB) on 16th Nov launched 12 vehicles fitted with sophisticated emission monitoring equipment. KSPCB chairman Lakshman said the vehicles are fitted ...READ MORE
India signs MoU with Republic of Korea - bilateral air service cooperation India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with South Korea or Republic of Korea (RoK) after negotiations to enhance bilateral ...READ MORE
In the first leg of his “historic” six-day tri-nation tour to West Asia, President Pranab Mukherjee held talks with Jordanian King Abdullah II in Amman on various bilateral issues including ...READ MORE
What is Jallikattu? Jallikattu is an ancient bull taming blood sport played in Tamil Nadu. It's a part of Pongal celebrations on Mattu Pongal day According to experts, the term Jallikattu is derived ...READ MORE
Seven years after the State Department was restructured to ‘de-hyphenate’ U.S. relations with India and with Pakistan, it is considering a reversal of the move. De-hyphenating refers to a policy started ...READ MORE
Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas at Los Angeles
India-Pakistan National Security Advisors meeting
India’s Second Scorpene Submarine “Khanderi” Launched
Karnataka State Government Launches Mobile Units To Check
India- South Korea
India and Jordan
Jallikattu Explained – History – Controversy – PETA
U.S. considers re-merger of India, Pakistan desks
Islamic State losing support