- A plot of land for India to build its first naval base in the Indian Ocean region has been allocated by the Seychelles government in the Assumption Island.
- Its is a joint project between India and Seychelles involving the two Defence Forces in enhancing our mutual security along our western seaboard.
- Apart from the naval base, India is set to acquire a fully operational coastal radar system (CRS) based in Seychelles from March 2016. The CRS will provide India with the ability to gather intelligence and assist in surveillance operations of the vital energy lanes near Seychelles.
- Security operation in the Indian Ocean region will also be helped by the leadership role that Seychelles has secured for itself in the Contact Group for Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS), which will hold its first meeting in Mumbai on January 31, 2016.
- A new patrol vessel from India will be handed over to Seychelles in mid-January 2016.
- The naval base will help India exercise greater control over the Indian Ocean’s western region all the way to the piracy-prone eastern African coastline.
- The base will be one of the major staging posts for a large maritime security network that India is setting up with the help of the various Indian Ocean region partner countries.
- The project has acquired significance following China acquiring its first African naval base in Djibouti in November.
- Both India and Seychelles have a vested interest in securitising the Western Indian Ocean. Both countries have forged a partnership that has gone a fair distance in eradicating the scourge of Somalia-based piracy as well as other maritime security issues.
- India, with its strong intelligence network, will also be helpful in maritime law enforcement by Seychelles.
TransFats : Trans fats, also called partially hydrogenated oils, are created when hydrogen is added to vegetable oil to make it more solid. They do help give a more solid texture ...READ MORE
Floating test-range for missile defence system India is building a unique floating testing range — a huge ship — to overcome the limitations imposed by the land mass for carrying out ...READ MORE
Bengaluru to host global environment, sustainability fest Bengaluru will host the country’s largest environment and sustainability festival from October 2 to October 11. The international environmental festival, ‘Roundglass Samsara Festival 2017’, will ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) examination shall comprise of two stages:- (A) Preliminary Examination (Objective type) for the selection of candidates for the main examination and (B) Main Examination (written examination ...READ MORE
4th State Finance Commission’s tour of State Why in News: The three-member Fourth State Finance Commission (SFC), headed by C.G. Chinnaswamy, has begun consulting with experts and urban and rural local ...READ MORE
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Thursday urged Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to grant Rs 500 crore for organising the Mahamasthakabhisheka at Shravanabelagola in Hassan district in February next year. The state ...READ MORE
INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday. The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted ...READ MORE
Why in News: The Centre’s flagship scheme to distribute free liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) connections to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families, has received a lacklustre response in the state. In the ...READ MORE
The Karnataka government has entered into an agreement with French multinational software company Dassault Systems to impart both short and long-term courses in aerospace and defence sectors using 3D design ...READ MORE
HC stay on Bellandur All issues from Karnataka have to be heard by the Southern Bench in Chennai as per the distribution of jurisdiction among various benches across the country under ...READ MORE
Food And Health
Testing ranges for missiles
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams
The Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) examination
Karnataka 4th Finance Commission: NammaKPSC classroom session for
CM seeks Rs 500 crore from Centre for
India’s Second Scorpene Submarine “Khanderi” Launched
Not many takers in state for free LPG connections
Karnataka: B’luru to get Centre of Excellence in
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams