- Country’s first, indigenous rotavirus vaccine launched
- The Rotavirus vaccine was developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership between the Ministry of Science Technology and the Health Ministry.
- to combat diarrhoeal deaths.
- As given in the figure rota virus infects the small intestine and leads to death of cells on the small intestine. In turn this leads to reduced absorption of the nutrients from the food we eat. This continued malabsorption of carbohydrates causes diarrhoea which can be dangerous in children
- Rota virus vaccine prevents the infection by virus by increasing body’s defence against rotavirus infection
Why important to prevent rotavirus infection
- Diarrhoea caused by Rotavirus is one of the leading causes of severe diarrhoea and death among children less than five years of age.
- In India, between 80,000 to one lakh children die due to Rotavirus diarrhoea annually while nearly 9 lakh children are admitted to hospital with severe diarrhoea. Another 32.7 lakh children visit the hospital as out patients due to the disease.
- Adding this life-saving vaccine to our immunisation programme will not only improve the health of our children but also reduce hospitalisation and other conditions associated with diarrhoea due to Rotavirus such as malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
- Reduced hospitalisation lower the economic burden on the family and the health cost burden on the country
Importance of the current vaccine
- It is an indegenous vaccine, ie. development involved the complete cycle from basic research to product development of the vaccine in India.
- The company has been given undertaken to keep the cost of the vaccine at US$ 1 per dose.
- This is the third such vaccine available globally against Rotavirus and, at the current prices, the cheapest
How will the vaccine be given
- The vaccine was being introduced in the country’s national immunisation programme called Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP)
- Initially in four States — Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha — and would be expanded to the entire country in a phased manner
- The Rotavac is in addition to three new vaccines that have been introduced in India’s Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP) including Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV), Measles, Rubella (MR) vaccine, and Adult Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine.
- With these new vaccines, India’s UIP will provide free vaccines against 12 life threatening diseases, to 27 million children annually, the largest birth cohort in the world.
- The IPV was intro-duced in six States from Nov. 30, 2015 for double protection against polio.
Karnataka state gets cultural policy The committee submitted a 68-page report with 44 recommendations as early as in June 2014. Interestingly, the Cabinet has cleared the policy in the backdrop of ...READ MORE
The political crisis in Uttarakhand and subsequent developments have once again catapulted a number of rather familiar questions onto the political terrain. The formation of three small States in 2000, Chhattisgarh, ...READ MORE
Scientific name: Gazella bennetti About the animal Indian Gazelles are called shy animals as they always act themselves as an alert nature and usually it roams alone in the wild regions. Not very ...READ MORE
DOWNLOAD AUGUST 2016 CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE CLICK HERE Best Current affairs Magazine for all civil services competitive examinations. It is the only magazine that covers National issues, international issues and Karnataka issues ...READ MORE
Set up maize procurement centres, govt. urged The Ballari district unit of the Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha (Puttannaiah group) has urged the State government to establish maize procurement centres for the ...READ MORE
The Ministry of Road Transport & highways has issued a draft notification for implementation of BS-V and BS-VI norms for the automobile sector, covering the four wheeler category. The ministry has ...READ MORE
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday publicly spiked a proposal of the food and civil supplies department to provide cash coupons to BPL ration cardholders instead of food grains. Speaking after launching ...READ MORE
India specific India is among top 10 FDI recipients India jumped to the ninth rank in 2014 with a 22 per cent rise in FDI inflows to $34 billion. India was at ...READ MORE
By the end of the year, India expects to freeze the design for the largest battleship ever built for the Indian Navy. It will also be one of the largest carriers ...READ MORE
Pantharapalya slum is situated near Rajarajeshwarinagar in land of 6 A. 4 G. declared by KSDB during 2001. There are 1088 families with 6000 population belonging to different sections of the ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Have small states realised their goals?
AUGUST MAHITHI MONTHLY CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE FOR KAS
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 29th
Draft notification for BS-V and BS-VI norms
Karnataka: Govt to provide cash coupons instead of
World Investment Report 2015 – UNCTAD
Design for second domestic aircraft carrier to be
Urban Development Karnataka -Successful Initiatives – BSUP