- Country’s first, indigenous rotavirus vaccine launched
- The Rotavirus vaccine was developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership between the Ministry of Science Technology and the Health Ministry.
- to combat diarrhoeal deaths.
- As given in the figure rota virus infects the small intestine and leads to death of cells on the small intestine. In turn this leads to reduced absorption of the nutrients from the food we eat. This continued malabsorption of carbohydrates causes diarrhoea which can be dangerous in children
- Rota virus vaccine prevents the infection by virus by increasing body’s defence against rotavirus infection
Why important to prevent rotavirus infection
- Diarrhoea caused by Rotavirus is one of the leading causes of severe diarrhoea and death among children less than five years of age.
- In India, between 80,000 to one lakh children die due to Rotavirus diarrhoea annually while nearly 9 lakh children are admitted to hospital with severe diarrhoea. Another 32.7 lakh children visit the hospital as out patients due to the disease.
- Adding this life-saving vaccine to our immunisation programme will not only improve the health of our children but also reduce hospitalisation and other conditions associated with diarrhoea due to Rotavirus such as malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
- Reduced hospitalisation lower the economic burden on the family and the health cost burden on the country
Importance of the current vaccine
- It is an indegenous vaccine, ie. development involved the complete cycle from basic research to product development of the vaccine in India.
- The company has been given undertaken to keep the cost of the vaccine at US$ 1 per dose.
- This is the third such vaccine available globally against Rotavirus and, at the current prices, the cheapest
How will the vaccine be given
- The vaccine was being introduced in the country’s national immunisation programme called Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP)
- Initially in four States — Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha — and would be expanded to the entire country in a phased manner
- The Rotavac is in addition to three new vaccines that have been introduced in India’s Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP) including Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV), Measles, Rubella (MR) vaccine, and Adult Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine.
- With these new vaccines, India’s UIP will provide free vaccines against 12 life threatening diseases, to 27 million children annually, the largest birth cohort in the world.
- The IPV was intro-duced in six States from Nov. 30, 2015 for double protection against polio.
Despite the Animal Welfare Board of India’s ‘request’ to the State government to stop Kambala for the year 2015-16 it will be held. Administrations of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi will follow ...READ MORE
Blockchain is the technology behind web-based cryptocurrency bitcoin. Cyrptocurrencies such as bitcoin have been making a lot of buzz over the last few years The underlying blockchain technology emerged from the shadows of cryptocurrencies ...READ MORE
To monitor vehicular pollution, the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB) on 16th Nov launched 12 vehicles fitted with sophisticated emission monitoring equipment. KSPCB chairman Lakshman said the vehicles are fitted ...READ MORE
Street children will be provided Aadhaar cards to enable them to take admission in schools and access government health services. The Standard Operating Procedure for Care and Protection of Children in ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Land Army Corporation Limited was established as an undertaking of the Government of Karnataka in August 1974. The name of the Organization was changed from Karnataka Land Army Corporation ...READ MORE
Q. Examine the role played by TKDL in Protecting India's Traditional Knowledge What is Traditional Knowledge Traditional knowledge or Indigenous knowledge generally refers to the long-standing traditions and practices of certain regional, ...READ MORE
ವಿವಿಧ ಅರಸರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಭಿನ್ನಾಭಿಪ್ರಾಯ ಮೂಡಿಸಿ ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷರು ಒಡೆದು ಆಳುವ ನೀತಿ ಅನುಸರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಆದರೆ, ಪಟೇಲ್ ಅವರು ಎಲ್ಲಾ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಭಾರತದ ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಿದರು . ಅರಸರ ಆಡಳಿತದಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಪಟೇಲರು ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಚಾತುರ್ಯ ತೋರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಚಾಣಕ್ಯನೂ ದೇಶವನ್ನು ...READ MORE
ವರದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏನಿದೆ? ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟ ಜಾತಿಯಲ್ಲೂ ತೀರಾ ಹಿಂದುಳಿದ ಜಾತಿಗಳಿಗೆ ಮೀಸಲಾತಿ ಸೌಲಭ್ಯ ಸಿಗುತ್ತಿಲ್ಲ; ಕೆಲವೇ ಜಾತಿಗಳು ಮಾತ್ರ ಈ ಸೌಲಭ್ಯ ಪಡೆಯುತ್ತಿವೆ ಎಂಬ ದೂರು ಕೇಳಿ ಬಂದಿದ್ದರಿಂದ 2005ರ ಸೆಪ್ಟೆಂಬರ್ನಲ್ಲಿ ಸದಾಶಿವ ಆಯೋಗ ರಚಿಸಲಾಗಿತ್ತು. ಆಯೋಗವು 2012ರಲ್ಲಿ ಸರ್ಕಾರಕ್ಕೆ ವರದಿ ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಿತ್ತು. ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟ ಜಾತಿಯ ವರಿಗೆ ...READ MORE
Irrigation projects in Karnataka poorly executed, says CWC The Central Water Commission (CWC), which studied the drought situation in Karnataka, has taken a serious note of ‘poor execution’ of Centrally funded ...READ MORE
Kambala to be held in Dakshina Kannada
Blockchain – Technology behind Bit coin
Karnataka State Government Launches Mobile Units To Check
Aadhaar card for street children
Karnataka Rural Infrastructure Development Ltd & Western Ghats
TRADITIONAL KNOWLEDGE DIGITAL LIBRARY [TKDL]
‘ಒಂದೇ ಭಾರತ, ಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಭಾರತ’ ಚಾಲನೆ
ಸದಾಶಿವ ಆಯೋಗ ವರದಿ
Man-made water crisis in Karnataka: KPSC/KAS 2016 Challengers
India and Jordan