- Country’s first, indigenous rotavirus vaccine launched
- The Rotavirus vaccine was developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership between the Ministry of Science Technology and the Health Ministry.
- to combat diarrhoeal deaths.
- As given in the figure rota virus infects the small intestine and leads to death of cells on the small intestine. In turn this leads to reduced absorption of the nutrients from the food we eat. This continued malabsorption of carbohydrates causes diarrhoea which can be dangerous in children
- Rota virus vaccine prevents the infection by virus by increasing body’s defence against rotavirus infection
Why important to prevent rotavirus infection
- Diarrhoea caused by Rotavirus is one of the leading causes of severe diarrhoea and death among children less than five years of age.
- In India, between 80,000 to one lakh children die due to Rotavirus diarrhoea annually while nearly 9 lakh children are admitted to hospital with severe diarrhoea. Another 32.7 lakh children visit the hospital as out patients due to the disease.
- Adding this life-saving vaccine to our immunisation programme will not only improve the health of our children but also reduce hospitalisation and other conditions associated with diarrhoea due to Rotavirus such as malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
- Reduced hospitalisation lower the economic burden on the family and the health cost burden on the country
Importance of the current vaccine
- It is an indegenous vaccine, ie. development involved the complete cycle from basic research to product development of the vaccine in India.
- The company has been given undertaken to keep the cost of the vaccine at US$ 1 per dose.
- This is the third such vaccine available globally against Rotavirus and, at the current prices, the cheapest
How will the vaccine be given
- The vaccine was being introduced in the country’s national immunisation programme called Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP)
- Initially in four States — Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha — and would be expanded to the entire country in a phased manner
- The Rotavac is in addition to three new vaccines that have been introduced in India’s Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP) including Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV), Measles, Rubella (MR) vaccine, and Adult Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine.
- With these new vaccines, India’s UIP will provide free vaccines against 12 life threatening diseases, to 27 million children annually, the largest birth cohort in the world.
- The IPV was intro-duced in six States from Nov. 30, 2015 for double protection against polio.
Karnataka state will get its first air ambulance facility in the New Year. The Chief Minister Siddaramaiah formally launched the air ambulances on 16th Dec, commercial operations will begin in January ...READ MORE
India specific India is among top 10 FDI recipients India jumped to the ninth rank in 2014 with a 22 per cent rise in FDI inflows to $34 billion. India was at ...READ MORE
The Karnataka state has seen 144 acid attack victims since 2003-04. A large number have lost (some partially) their sight and are badly scarred. A majority of the victims are ...READ MORE
Puttenahalli Lake to get a facelift It will be hard to spot the ‘lake’ in Puttenahalli Lake in Yelahanka, which is currently the city’s only bird conservation reserve. However, the embattled lake ...READ MORE
A worrying re-emergence of diphtheria in Malappuram district of kerala, is putting at risk considerable swathes of its population. Atleast two children died of Diphtheria this year. Over a dozen Malappuram ...READ MORE
Schools to be penalised if they fail to implement Kannada phase-wise Students from other States who enrol in schools in Karnataka between classes two and eight will have to study class ...READ MORE
Karnataka Govt planning to hike quota ceiling to 72% Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on 26th March said that his government was exploring the possibility of increasing the reservation ceiling in education and employment ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated First National Tribal Carnival-2016 in New Delhi on 25th Oct The tribal carnival would showcase the capabilities of the tribal communities, in the national capital. The Prime ...READ MORE
The state forest department has issued a notification allowing culling of wild boars in Ramanagara distric, by declaring them vermin. The notification issued by the Ramanagara forest office which has legalized the ...READ MORE
The Cabinet approved Rs. 2,000 crore for the rehabilitation of Kashmiris who moved to different parts of India in the early 1990s and began to be recognised as migrants. It will ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Air ambulance service to be operational in
World Investment Report 2015 – UNCTAD
Welfare of acid attack victims
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
After Diphtheria Deaths, Kerala Launches Vaccination Drive
Karnataka Current Affairs- KAS/KPSC Exams- 17th Oct 2017
Karnataka – State Update- KAS / KPSC Exams
National Tribal Carnival 2016
Department allows farmers in Ramanagara district to kill
Economic package for Kashmiri migrants’ rehabilitation