- Country’s first, indigenous rotavirus vaccine launched
- The Rotavirus vaccine was developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership between the Ministry of Science Technology and the Health Ministry.
- to combat diarrhoeal deaths.
- As given in the figure rota virus infects the small intestine and leads to death of cells on the small intestine. In turn this leads to reduced absorption of the nutrients from the food we eat. This continued malabsorption of carbohydrates causes diarrhoea which can be dangerous in children
- Rota virus vaccine prevents the infection by virus by increasing body’s defence against rotavirus infection
Why important to prevent rotavirus infection
- Diarrhoea caused by Rotavirus is one of the leading causes of severe diarrhoea and death among children less than five years of age.
- In India, between 80,000 to one lakh children die due to Rotavirus diarrhoea annually while nearly 9 lakh children are admitted to hospital with severe diarrhoea. Another 32.7 lakh children visit the hospital as out patients due to the disease.
- Adding this life-saving vaccine to our immunisation programme will not only improve the health of our children but also reduce hospitalisation and other conditions associated with diarrhoea due to Rotavirus such as malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
- Reduced hospitalisation lower the economic burden on the family and the health cost burden on the country
Importance of the current vaccine
- It is an indegenous vaccine, ie. development involved the complete cycle from basic research to product development of the vaccine in India.
- The company has been given undertaken to keep the cost of the vaccine at US$ 1 per dose.
- This is the third such vaccine available globally against Rotavirus and, at the current prices, the cheapest
How will the vaccine be given
- The vaccine was being introduced in the country’s national immunisation programme called Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP)
- Initially in four States — Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha — and would be expanded to the entire country in a phased manner
- The Rotavac is in addition to three new vaccines that have been introduced in India’s Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP) including Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV), Measles, Rubella (MR) vaccine, and Adult Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine.
- With these new vaccines, India’s UIP will provide free vaccines against 12 life threatening diseases, to 27 million children annually, the largest birth cohort in the world.
- The IPV was intro-duced in six States from Nov. 30, 2015 for double protection against polio.
The state government has decided to adhere to its stand and not denotify fruits and vegetables from the Karnataka Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (Regulation and Development) Act, despite the Centre ...READ MORE
An app under the aegis of the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been developed to aid fishermen to increase their catch and reduce the cost of operations, the ...READ MORE
Four-day World Congress on Disaster Management concluded on Sunday with the unanimous adoption of ‘Visakhapatnam Declaration’ calling for a comprehensive action plan for a disaster-resilient society The declaration was drafted after ...READ MORE
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
State to file revision petition in SC on quashed SC/ST promotions The Cabinet on 17th March decided to file a revision petition challenging the Supreme Court ruling which struck down the consequential ...READ MORE
ರೈತರ ಕೃಷಿ ಉತ್ಪನ್ನಗಳನ್ನು ಪಟ್ಟಣದ ಮಾರುಕಟ್ಟೆಗೆ ಸುರಕ್ಷಿತವಾಗಿ ಸಾಗಿಸುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಮತ್ತು ಗ್ರಾಮೀಣ ಪ್ರದೇಶದ ಜನರಿಗೂ ಉತ್ತಮ ಸಂಪರ್ಕ ರಸ್ತೆ ಅನುಕೂಲ ಕಲ್ಪಿಸುವ ಯೋಜನೆ. ರಸ್ತೆ ನಿರ್ಮಾಣಗೊಂಡ ನಂತರದ ಐದು ವರ್ಷಗಳವರೆಗೆ ಗುತ್ತಿಗೆದಾರರೇ ನಿರ್ವಹಣೆ ಮಾಡಬೇಕು, ಆರನೇ ವರ್ಷ ಮತ್ತೆ ಮರುಡಾಂಬರಿಕರಣಗೊಳಿಸಿ ಸರ್ಕಾರಕ್ಕೆ ಹಸ್ತಾಂತರಿಸುವುದು ಯೋಜನೆಯಲ್ಲಿರುವ ...READ MORE
Ballari to play host to Janapada Rangotsava from April 21 Connoisseurs of art and music are in for an audio-visual treat at the three-day national-level Janapada Rangotsava from April 21 at ...READ MORE
Till the year 1896, unfiltered water was supplied to Bengaluru city in the Kalyani system from a number of tanks such as Dharmambudhi, Sampangi, Ulsoor, Sankey etc., supplemented by local ...READ MORE
"A King Cobra has been run over by a vehicle on Castle Rock Main Road passing through the Castle Rock Wildlife Range of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve." Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve is the fourth ...READ MORE
Karnataka State will not denotify fruits & vegetables
New mobile app to help fishermen
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
18th March 2017 – Today’s Karnataka State Current
‘ನಮ್ಮ ಗ್ರಾಮ ನಮ್ಮ ರಸ್ತೆ’
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
BWSSB – Existing Water Supply System Scenario &
Urban Development-Construction of Houses for EWS