- Country’s first, indigenous rotavirus vaccine launched
- The Rotavirus vaccine was developed indigenously, under a public-private partnership between the Ministry of Science Technology and the Health Ministry.
- to combat diarrhoeal deaths.
- As given in the figure rota virus infects the small intestine and leads to death of cells on the small intestine. In turn this leads to reduced absorption of the nutrients from the food we eat. This continued malabsorption of carbohydrates causes diarrhoea which can be dangerous in children
- Rota virus vaccine prevents the infection by virus by increasing body’s defence against rotavirus infection
Why important to prevent rotavirus infection
- Diarrhoea caused by Rotavirus is one of the leading causes of severe diarrhoea and death among children less than five years of age.
- In India, between 80,000 to one lakh children die due to Rotavirus diarrhoea annually while nearly 9 lakh children are admitted to hospital with severe diarrhoea. Another 32.7 lakh children visit the hospital as out patients due to the disease.
- Adding this life-saving vaccine to our immunisation programme will not only improve the health of our children but also reduce hospitalisation and other conditions associated with diarrhoea due to Rotavirus such as malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
- Reduced hospitalisation lower the economic burden on the family and the health cost burden on the country
Importance of the current vaccine
- It is an indegenous vaccine, ie. development involved the complete cycle from basic research to product development of the vaccine in India.
- The company has been given undertaken to keep the cost of the vaccine at US$ 1 per dose.
- This is the third such vaccine available globally against Rotavirus and, at the current prices, the cheapest
How will the vaccine be given
- The vaccine was being introduced in the country’s national immunisation programme called Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP)
- Initially in four States — Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Odisha — and would be expanded to the entire country in a phased manner
- The Rotavac is in addition to three new vaccines that have been introduced in India’s Universal Immunis-ation Programme (UIP) including Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV), Measles, Rubella (MR) vaccine, and Adult Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccine.
- With these new vaccines, India’s UIP will provide free vaccines against 12 life threatening diseases, to 27 million children annually, the largest birth cohort in the world.
- The IPV was intro-duced in six States from Nov. 30, 2015 for double protection against polio.
Homeless rural residents of Karnataka will now get additional funds to build their houses In a first for the country, the State government has decided to dovetail funds meant for subsidised ...READ MORE
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018 Why in news? The Bill to award the death penalty for those convicted of raping girls below the age of 12 will be introduced in the ...READ MORE
BMRCL floats tender for Silk Board-K.R. Puram line The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) has floated the tender for the Silk Board – K.R. Puram metro line under Phase II–A. ...READ MORE
Karnataka Govt: Over-exploitation pushed down water table in 143 taluks On 22nd March, the government presented a grim picture of the water situation. Groundwater levels in 143 of the total 176 ...READ MORE
Construction of individual household toilets for families in the rural areas who do not have toilets. To improve the standard of living of the rural people and reformation in the health ...READ MORE
Rebooting ties with Iran Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Tehran on May 22-23 will be an important marker in New Delhi’s attempt to instill momentum in bilateral ties. India's interests in ...READ MORE
‘RERA has registered 1,331 projects in Karnataka’ The Karnataka Real Estate Regulatory Authority (Karnataka RERA) has successfully registered 1,331 projects out of 1,982 applications in the last seven months in the ...READ MORE
ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಭದ್ರತಾ ದಳ (ಎನ್ಎಸ್ಜಿ) ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಜಮ್ಮು ಮತ್ತು ಕಾಶ್ಮೀರದಲ್ಲಿ ಉಗ್ರರ ವಿರುದ್ಧ ಕಾರ್ಯಾಚರಣೆ ನಡೆಸಲು ಶೀಘ್ರದಲ್ಲೇ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ಭದ್ರತಾ ದಳದ (ಎನ್ಎಸ್ಜಿ) ನಿಯೋಜಿಸುವ ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆಗಳಿವೆ. ‘ಬ್ಲ್ಯಾಕ್ ಕ್ಯಾಟ್’ ಎಂದೇ ಕರೆಯಲಾಗುವ ಎನ್ಎಸ್ಜಿ ಕಮಾಂಡೊಗಳು ಹಲವು ದಿನಗಳಿಂದ ನಗರದ ಹೊರವಲಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಕಠಿಣ ...READ MORE
ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ ಮುಡಿಗೆ ಮತ್ತೊಂದು ಗರಿ: ದೇಶದ ಸರ್ವಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನ ಪ್ರತಿಷ್ಠಿತ ಭಾರತೀಯ ವಿಜ್ಞಾನ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ (ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ) ಮುಡಿಗೆ ಹಿರಿಮೆಯ ಮತ್ತೊಂದು ಗರಿ ಸೇರ್ಪಡೆಯಾಗಿದೆ. ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ ದೇಶದ ಅತ್ಯುತ್ತಮ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ ಎಂದು ಮಾನವ ಸಂಪನ್ಮೂಲ ಅಭಿವೃದ್ಧಿ (ಎಚ್ಆರ್ಡಿ) ಸಚಿವಾಲಯ ...READ MORE
The massive campaign for Kallikattu in Tamil Nadu and a similar campaign building up for kambala in Karnataka seem to have opened a Pandora’s box. Now, there is demand from people ...READ MORE
Rural poor in state get MNREGA support to
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 19th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 28th
KARNATAKA – CURRENT AFFAIRS – KAS / KPSC
Rural Development- Objectives of Swachha Bharat
Rebooting ties with Iran- Modi’s visit to Iran
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 9th
“22nd ಜೂನ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
“4th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
After Jallikattu & Kambala, next demand for lifting