Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM)-
- An anti-radiation missile (ARM) is a missile designed to detect and home in on an enemy radio emission source.Typically, these are designed for use against an enemy radar, although jammers and even radios used for communications can also be targeted in this manner.
- Advanced State-of-the-art air-to-surface tactical missile
- will target the enemy’s air defence capabilities by attacking radars and communication facilities.
- Range – 100 to 125 km
- Will be mounted on combat aircraft Sukhoi (Su-30) and Tejas-Light Combat Aircraft.
- The missile picks up the radiation or signals of radars and communication facilities and homes on to the targets to destroy them.
- Being developed by Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL)
- Instead of thrust propulsion, the missile uses dual pulse propulsion system as in the case of LR-SAM. The dual pulse propulsion will widen the envelope as well as the engagement capability of the missile. After coasting the missile for the required duration by firing the first pulse, the second pulse will be initiated just before interception of the target or during the terminal phase
- Captive flight trials the Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM) are planned for April-May this year, and the maiden flight test by year-end
- The entire missile is being developed indigenously, including the seeker. The missile will be inducted in about two years after conducting a number of developmental trials.
- According to DRDO sources, scientists will evaluate the performance of the seeker, navigation and control system, structural capability and aerodynamic vibrations during the captive flight trials.
- These will be followed by ground testing and the missile will be fired from Su-30 during the actual flight trial by year-end
- Only a few countries, including the U.S. and Germany, have ARMs at present
- The dual pulse propulsion system could be configured with other air-to-surface and air-to-air missiles
The government has declared the National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Khaplang (NSCN-K) a terrorist organisation under the stringent provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 It is the 39th outfit to enter ...READ MORE
What is this RLV-TD? Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstration Program or RLV-TD is a series of technology demonstration missions that have been considered as a first step towards realizing a Two Stage ...READ MORE
Karnataka Agri Business and Food Processing Policy 2015 is aimed at positioning Karnataka in a sustained growth path in the field of agricultural and allied sectors through global technologies and innovative ...READ MORE
Bird flu outbreak and measures taken As many as 35,000 chicken have died in 20 days at Melakera in Humnabad taluk, sending shockwaves among those in the poultry farming industry. Animal Husbandry ...READ MORE
Parts produced by some commercial 3D printers may be toxic, according to a new study This raises concerns about how to dispose off parts and waste materials from the devices which ...READ MORE
NASA has started a new programme for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) — comets and asteroids that pass by the Earth’s orbit — to ward off any potential impact ...READ MORE
Draft Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction Bill, 2016 Background There are several legal issues confronting the issue of transnational inter-spousal child removal. It is unfortunate that when a child is abducted ...READ MORE
In an effort to help government-run transport entities, the Karnataka State Transport Authority (KSTU) has come out with a Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA) for the entire state that bans new ...READ MORE
National framework for malaria elimination launched in Karnataka The Health Department launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination in India programme in Karnataka The World Health Organisation is committed to eradicating malaria ...READ MORE
Centre declares NSCN(K) terrorist organisation
REUSABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATOR PROGRAM (RLV –
Karnataka Agri Business and Food Processing Policy 2015
Bird flu outbreak and all you need to
New NASA programme to protect Earth from asteroids,
Child Abduction Bill, 2016
2017 Current Affairs
Karnataka-Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA)
National framework for malaria elimination launched in Karnataka