As per Registrar General of India, Sample Registration System (SRS) 2013,
- the Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) is 40 per 1000 live births.
- the Neonatal Mortality Rate (NMR) is 28 per 1000 live births
- the Under-five Mortality Rate (U5MR) is 49 per 1000 live births
The schemes to check high child mortality rate are as under:
- To sharpen the focus on the low performing districts, 184 High Priority Districts (HPDs) have been identified for implementation of Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child Health+ Adolescent (RMNCH+A) interventions for achieving improved maternal and child health outcomes.
- India Newborn Action Plan (INAP) was launched in 2014 to make concerted efforts towards attainment of the goals of “Single Digit Neonatal Mortality Rate” and “Single Digit Stillbirth Rate”, by 2030.
- Newer interventions to reduce newborn mortality have also been implemented, including- Vitamin K injection at birth, Antenatal corticosteroids in preterm labour, Kangaroo Mother Care and empowering ANMs to provide Injection Gentamicin to young infants for possible serious bacterial infection.
- In order to increase awareness about the use of ORS and Zinc in diarrhoea, an Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF) is being observed during July-August, with the ultimate aim of ‘zero child deaths due to childhood diarrhoea’. During fortnight health workers visited the households of under five children, conducted community level awareness generation activities and distributed ORS packets to the families with children under five years of age.
- National Iron Plus Initiative (NIPI) – To address anaemia, NIPI has been launched which includes provision of supervised biweekly iron folic acid supplementation by ASHA for all under-five children and biannual deworming.
- National Deworming Day (NDD)– Recognising worm infestation as an important cause of anaemia, the first National Deworming Day (NDD) was observed on 10th February, 2015 in 11 States/UT targeting all children in the age group of 1-19 years (both school enrolled and non-enrolled). Total of 8.98 crore children received deworming tablet (Albendazole) during the National Deworming Day. The same will be observed on an annual basis.
- Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK) has been launched (Feb 2013) to provide strategic interventions to address birth defects, delays and deficiencies and reduce out of pocket expenditure for the families on treatment by expanding the reach of mobile health teams at block level and establishing District Early Intervention Centres (DEICs) in the districts.
- Birth Defects Surveillance System (BDSS) is being established – to serve as a tool for identifying congenital anomalies. It is as a collaborative effort between the MoHFW, GoI, WHO and CDC.
- Mission Indradhanush: Launched on 25th December, 2014, seeks to drive toward 90% full immunization coverage with all vaccines in the entire country by year 2020 with a high focus on the 201 identified districts.
- Mission Indradhanush Phase II has begun in 352 districts across the country (279 medium priority districts + 33 districts from North Eastern States + 44 districts from Phase I districts where large number of missed out children were detected during monitoring of phase I of Mission Indradhanush).
Research undertaken by has revealed that feral fish are causing the decline of presence of other species of Major Indian Carps, Minor Indian Carps and Catfish in river Krishna damaging ...READ MORE
The State Cabinet gave its nod for incorporating several changes in the panchayat raj legislation Amendments are based on the recommendations made by a committee headed by former speaker K R Ramesh Kumar. The ...READ MORE
KARNAKATA PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION, BANGALORE-1. PAGE:1 E(1)/31/2016-17/PSC Date : 29/04/2016 NOTIFICATION List of the candidates eligible for Personality Test for recruitment to Gazetted Probationers Group 'A' & 'B' services 2014 for which the main ...READ MORE
The state government is gearing up to set up a mini hydel project next to the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, an elephant corridor, even as cases of jumbos straying out of ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Land Army Corporation Limited was established as an undertaking of the Government of Karnataka in August 1974. The name of the Organization was changed from Karnataka Land Army Corporation ...READ MORE
A 25-year-old engineer with respiratory problems was the first to use a recently launched air ambulance service to rush to a hospital. Sandeep was brought in a helicopter from Toranagallu in ...READ MORE
Gross Domestic Product was 7.6 per cent in the second quarter of the last fiscal. The Indian economy grew at 7.3 per cent in the September quarter of current fiscal, up ...READ MORE
For the first time, the secretariat has allowed the MLAs to either WhatsApp or e-mail their questions. This facility is introduced for the session starting February 6. Of the 224 MLAs, ...READ MORE
Why in News: The Centre’s flagship scheme to distribute free liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) connections to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families, has received a lacklustre response in the state. In the ...READ MORE
State-owned aviation major, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) thought so when it produced 39 Basant aircraft but stopped building them after 1980. Now, the Aussies want rich Indian farmers to check out ...READ MORE
Biodiversity of fish threatened in krishna
Gram Swaraj Panchayat Raj bill, 2015
KPSC MAINS RESULTS 2015
Karnataka: Govt to set up hydel project in
Karnataka Rural Infrastructure Development Ltd & Western Ghats
Karnataka: Air ambulance debuts with flight from Ballari
GDP grows at 7.3% in September quarter
Poor response from MLAs to e-governance initiatives
Not many takers in state for free LPG connections
Karnataka: Aircraft to spray seeds and fertilisers?