‘Startup coast’ coming up in Karnataka
- State-of-the-art innovation centres, modern incubation set-up, tinkering labs and co-working space for startups are coming up in coastal Karnataka.
- This is the first project of its kind which is being part funded under Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS).
- Using her MPLADS fund, Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, who is a Rajya Sabha member from Karnataka, has initiated the project, which would provide a complete ecosystem for startups.
- The project, which was started to make Mangaluru as India’s first startup district, is now being expanded to Udupi and Karwar. It would now be known as “startup coast” and the complete ecosystem will be in place in the next two years.
- The ecosystem will comprise a 100-seater co-working space for budding entrepreneurs in Mangaluru, two innovation centres, about five incubation centres in colleges and around 30 tinkering labs in schools.
- Under the Atal Innovation Mission, Atal Tinkering Laboratories will be set up in different schools in this ‘startup coast’. Different schools have applied for this with the Niti Aayog.
- The innovation centres would be located at the National Institute of Technology in Surathkal and NMAM Institute of Technology under Nitte University.
- With Bengaluru gradually saturating for startups, Mangaluru is emerging as a centre for budding entrepreneurs in terms of infrastructure, funding facilities and talent pool.
- The co-working space, which would be leased to professionals, will be in place by December this year. Detailed project report is under preparation to set up the two innovation centres. Niti Aayog will help in setting up these centres.
Nearly 35,000 families to get LPG connections in Belagavi
- Under the Union government’s Ujjwala scheme, around 35,000 poor families in Belagavi district will get free cooking gas connections. This includes 15,000 families in Belagavi Lok Sabha constituency.
- Suresh Angadi, MP, announced this during the launch of the scheme to give away LPG gas cylinders and stoves to poor families in Belagavi on 9th July.
- Mr. Angadi said the scheme would help poor women in many ways. “It is said that a woman who works in a wood-fired kitchen consumes as much smoke as someone who smokes 400 cigarettes. Shifting to cooking gas will help them take care of their health,” he said.
- He announced that victims of fatal accidents in the kitchen were entitled to compensation of over Rs. 30 lakh, in case of cylinder explosions. Mr. Angadi also urged people not to get lazy because the government was giving away free rice.
- Rajya sabha member Prabhakar Kore said that around 35,000 families were getting connections in Belagavi district, that constitutes Belagavi and Chikkodi Lok Sabha constituencies this year.
- This includes 15,000 in Belagavi city alone.
- He remarked that owning a LPG connection was a matter of luxury till now and the poor could not dream of it.
Stand Up India: Rs. 21.62 cr. distributed to 98 people
- An amount of Rs. 21.62 crore had been distributed to over 98 people under the Stand Up India scheme in Mysuru district in the past year. Most of the beneficiaries have already commenced their units thanks to the financial aid from the banks.
- K.N. Shivalingaiah, Chief Manager, Lead Bank, State Bank of India, told that an amount of Rs. 20.09 crore had been given to 72 women entrepreneurs in the district while an amount of Rs. 1.30 crore had been given to five women minorities.
- One woman entrepreneur from the Other Backward Class category was given an amount of Rs. 23 lakh.
- Besides this, he said, that an amount of Rs. 4.55 crore was given to 17 SC entrepreneurs while Rs. 55 lakhs was given to three ST persons in the district in the last one year. He claimed that Mysuru stood second in the State in disbursement of loans under the scheme.
- Mr. Shivalingaiah said that the Stand Up India scheme aims at promoting entrepreneurship among women and Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. It will facilitate two entrepreneurial projects on an average of one for each category (Women and SC/ST) of entrepreneurs per bank branch.
Credit guarantee system
- A credit guarantee system would also be implemented through the National Credit Guarantee Trustee Company (NCGTC), which will act as the operating agency for financial aid, Mr. Shivalingaiah said, and added that the banks will personally guide each entrepreneur through the pre-loan and operational phases.
- Loan amounts ranging from from Rs. 10 lakh to Rs. 1 crore will be granted to beneficiaries which will be repayable up to seven years. The scheme will also familiarise entrepreneurs with factoring services, e-market places and registration with online platforms and other aspects of web entrepreneurship
- Stand Up India is among the various financial inclusion and social security schemes introduced by the government. The intent of the proposal is to leverage the institutional credit structure to reach out to these under-served sectors of the population by facilitating bank loans in the non-farm sector set up by such SC, ST and women borrowers, the manager said.
- Mr. Shivalingaiah expressed confidence of providing loans to over 250 people in 2017-18.
- He said that there were teething problems this year as many banks were not completely aware of the scheme.
- He added that lands were allotted to many entrepreneurs by the KIADB and the District Industries Department had selected candidates under the Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP).
- Hence, more number of women and members of SC and ST communities may approach banks for loans under the scheme.
- Banks have been asked to sanction loans quickly after obtaining necessary documents from beneficiaries.
The amendment to the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) notification 2011 permitting the use of reclaimed land for construction of roads in notified areas has triggered a wave of concern among ...READ MORE
The new rules for taxi aggregators issued by the government will mean that they will have to toe the line on passenger safety. But, for the moment, they have been given ...READ MORE
4th State Finance Commission’s tour of State Why in News: The three-member Fourth State Finance Commission (SFC), headed by C.G. Chinnaswamy, has begun consulting with experts and urban and rural local ...READ MORE
Union Minister of State for Drinking Water and Sanitation Ramesh Jigajinagi on 3rd March expressed unhappiness over the Karnataka government for tardy progress in execution of rural drinking water programme despite ...READ MORE
Govt to ensure private firms enforce retirement age rule The labour department will conduct inspections to ensure that employers implement the state government’s decision to enhance the retirement age of employees ...READ MORE
The North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme (NKUSIP) is the third Asian Development Bank assisted urban development project in Karnataka. The expected impact of the Investment Program is improved urban infrastructure ...READ MORE
Karnataka State sets up 7th pay commission The State government on 1st June constituted the seventh pay commission and appointed the former IAS officer Srinivas Murthy as its chairman. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah ...READ MORE
India signs MoU with Republic of Korea - bilateral air service cooperation India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with South Korea or Republic of Korea (RoK) after negotiations to enhance bilateral ...READ MORE
From this year, Kannada is compulsory in all schools Starting this academic year, students will be taught Kannada in all schools in the State, including private, linguistic minority and Central board ...READ MORE
What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme How - Who is eligible - Who is not eligible Issue What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme A limited-period Compliance Window to declare undisclosed income or ...READ MORE
Amendment to CRZ 2011
The Karnataka On-demand Transportation Technology Aggregators Rules, 2016.
Karnataka 4th Finance Commission: NammaKPSC classroom session for
Centre irked by slow progress of rural drinking
Karnataka State Updates for KAS/KPSC Exams – 26th
Urban Development: North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme
Karnataka Current Affairs for KAS / KPSC Exams
India- South Korea
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
New scheme to tackle black money menace- Income