- The IS claims to be more than a militant group, selling itself as a government for the world’s Muslims that provides a range of services in the territory it controls.
- The promise of statehood on land it controls in Syria and Iraq remains the main factor distinguishing it from al-Qaida and a powerful draw for recruits from around the world.
- That call to join the IS is still going out, and having an effect, on social media and within jihadist circles.
- But that statehood project is now in distress, perhaps more so than at any other time since the IS began seizing territory in Iraq and Syria, according to a range of interviews with people who have recently fled.
- Under pressure from airstrikes by several countries, and new ground offensives by Kurdish and Shiite militias, the jihadists are beginning to show the strain.
- Its promises ring increasingly hollow as residents living in IS-controlled areas flee deprivation, an intensifying barrage of airstrikes
- Many Sunni Muslims say has acted more like an organised-crime ring than their defender.
- Some fighters have taken pay cuts, while others have quit and slipped away. Important services have been failing because of poor maintenance.
- And as its smuggling and oil businesses have faltered, the Islamic State has fallen back on ever-increasing taxes and tolls imposed on its squeezed citizens.
- Those stresses could provide opportunities for the group’s many enemies, but they do not point to its imminent collapse.
- Ground forces ready to fight the IS in its strongholds in Syria and Iraq are still lacking. And the group is adapting, keeping its international profile high by launching foreign attacks like those that brought down a Russian airliner in Egypt and paralysed Paris. It is also investing in new affiliates in countries like Libya, where it faces little resistance..
Vikas Engine Why in news? All three satellite launch vehicles of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) are set to add muscle to their spacecraft lifting power in upcoming missions this year. ...READ MORE
KLCDA for declaring 176 ‘live’ lakes in Bengaluru as wetlands The Karnataka Lake Conservation and Development Authority (KLCDA) has sought for the declaration of 176 ‘live’ lakes in the city as ...READ MORE
ಕಾವೇರಿ ನದಿ ನೀರು ಪ್ರಾಧಿಕಾರ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಕಾವೇರಿ ಜಲವಿವಾದ ನ್ಯಾಯಾಧೀಕರಣ 2007ರ ತನ್ನ ಐತೀರ್ಪಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಹೇಳಿದ್ದ ನೀರು ನಿರ್ವಹಣಾ ಮಂಡಳಿಯ ತದ್ರೂಪದಂತಿರುವ 'ಕಾವೇರಿ ನೀರು ನಿರ್ವಹಣಾ ಯೋಜನೆ-2018'ರ ಕರಡನ್ನು ಸುಪ್ರೀಂ ಕೋರ್ಟ್ಗೆ ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರಕಾರ ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಿದೆ. ಕಾವೇರಿ ನೀರು ನಿಯಂತ್ರಣ ಸಮಿತಿ ರಚಿಸಲು ...READ MORE
Fire in Kalkere Range Thousands of acres of forest cover burnt down in forest fire in Bandipur tiger reserve on Saturday and a forest guard succumbed to burn injuries while preventing the flames ...READ MORE
The project to move Tipu Sultan’s armoury has crossed a critical phase. The armoury is being moved 100 metres to make way for a railway track. The spectacular engineering effort is ...READ MORE
ಶಬರಿಮಲೆ ಪ್ರಸಾದಕ್ಕೆ ಸಿಎಫ್ಟಿಆರ್ಐ ಮಾರ್ಗಸೂಚಿ ಶಬರಿಮಲೆ ಅಯ್ಯಪ್ಪಸ್ವಾಮಿ ದೇವಾಲಯದಲ್ಲಿ ನೀಡುವ ಪ್ರಸಾದವನ್ನು ಇನ್ನಷ್ಟು ರುಚಿಕರ ಮತ್ತು ಸ್ವಾದಿಷ್ಟವಾಗಿ ಭಕ್ತರಿಗೆ ದೊರಕಿಸಲು ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನ ಆಡಳಿತ ಮಂಡಳಿ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದ್ದು, ಇದಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಮೇ 16ರಂದು ಮೈಸೂರಿನ ಕೇಂದ್ರೀಯ ಆಹಾರ ತಂತ್ರಜ್ಞಾನ ಸಂಶೋಧನಾ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ(ಸಿಎಫ್ಟಿಆರ್ಐ) ಜತೆ ಒಪ್ಪಂದ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲಿದೆ. ಅಪ್ಪಂ ...READ MORE
The Supreme Court expressed alarm at the apparent lack of concern shown by the government’s delay in filing a response to a PIL petition against the practice of dedicating girls ...READ MORE
Blockchain is the technology behind web-based cryptocurrency bitcoin. Cyrptocurrencies such as bitcoin have been making a lot of buzz over the last few years The underlying blockchain technology emerged from the shadows of cryptocurrencies ...READ MORE
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday publicly spiked a proposal of the food and civil supplies department to provide cash coupons to BPL ration cardholders instead of food grains. Speaking after launching ...READ MORE
Karnataka govt to hike anganwadi workers' honorarium The state government on 10th April agreed to increase the monthly honorarium of anganwadi workers and helpers by Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 respectively, ...READ MORE
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 17th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
“15th ಮೇ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Everything you need to know about Bandipur Forest
Karnataka: Tipu’s armoury shifting starts smooth
“30th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Devadasis practice in Karnataka
Blockchain – Technology behind Bit coin
Karnataka: Govt to provide cash coupons instead of
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams