Forest Department to select over 16 elephants for Dasara
- The Forest Department has commenced identifying the elephants that will be part of the Dasara festivities.
- The department is planning to select over 16 of them. Of these, 12 will take part in the Dasara procession while four will be used as back up.
- The department is planning to have at least four pachyderms as substitutes this year as couple of elephants fell sick prior to the Dasara celebrations.
- The idea of having additional elephants this year is to prepare the second line elephants for Dasara as few elephants such as Gajendra and Arjuna had crossed the age of 60 and 56 years respectively.
- Nagaraj, veterinary officer of the Forest Department, told that the department had already identified Ajay, Eshwar and Dhananjay of Dubare camps in addition to the 12 regular elephants for Dasara.
- Apart from these three, the department plans to introduce Drona and Krishna from Thithimathi camp. In 2016, though 12 elephants were picked for Dasara, only 10 participated in the Jumbo Savari as two were unwell. Hence, the department is planning to have keep more elephants as substitutes.
- Dr. Nagaraj said bringing even 20 elephants to the Dasara event was not an issue but accommodating and protecting them was a herculean task.
- After selecting the additional elephants, a letter will be written to the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, Bengaluru (Wildlife), seeking permission for the additional elephants. Once he permits the same, additional elephants would be deployed for the Dasara event.
- After obtaining permission both from the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and also the Dasara committee, all the elephants would be taken around in the procession route in order to be acclimatised, he said.
- Priests of the Kodi Someshwaraswamy Temple in Mysore Palace have listed few dates (auspicious dates) such as August 2, 4, 6, 10 and 14 for Gaja Payana and the Dasara committee will decide the date on which Gaja Payana should start. The committee, which is expected to meet August 16, will decide whether to bring elephants by vehicle or on foot.
- Meanwhile, Dr. Nagaraj had already examined Arjuna, the elephant that carries the Golden Howdah at Balle elephant camp and the doctor found him fit to carry the 750 kg howdah.
The 68th Republic Day parade in New Delhi's Rajpath was a colourful affair tableaux from 17 states and Union Territories showcased the varied historical, art and cultural heritage of the ...READ MORE
Malware affects thousands of BSNL broadband modems At least 60,000 BSNL broadband modems have become dysfunctional after a malware attack since Wednesday night across the Karnataka Telecom Circle. Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. ...READ MORE
The union government approved the hybrid annuity model for building national highways, paving the way for construction of 28 projects worth Rs. 36,000 crore this fiscal year. The move will speed ...READ MORE
Through the Android app launched by the Ministry of Ayush, the Karnataka State Medicinal Plants Authority (KaMPA) can check whether spices like cinnamon have been obtained from trees growing in ...READ MORE
Moodbidri hosts first Kambala after ordinance More than 10,000 people witnessed the bull-racing sport. The organisers served "ganji" (gruel) and chutney to the spectators in the afternoon. The organisers were continuously making ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Knowledge Commission (KKC) has submitted a Sports Policy to the state government covering a wide gamut of aspects including sports for all and a long-term road map for the ...READ MORE
The Cabinet on 15th Feb gave in-principle approval for implementing the long-pending Mekedatu multipurpose project utilising the Cauvery river water at a cost of Rs 5,912 crore. The project will help ...READ MORE
The written exam has 2 papers. Both papers are cumpulsory Paper 1 Time-1 hour 30 min Maximum marks -50 The paper contains the following Essay writing – In not more than 600 words ------for 20 ...READ MORE
Former High Court judge Justice P Vishwanath Shetty was sworn in as the Karnataka Lokayukta, a year after the post fell vacant following a bribery scandal that had hit the ...READ MORE
India Celebrate 68th Republic Day – Highlights
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
All you need to know about HYBRID ANNUITY
e-Charak app – Forest dept gets set to
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 13th Nov
Proposed Karnataka sports policy
Karnataka: Cabinet approves 5,912-cr Mekedatu reservoir project
PSI written exam
Karnataka gets Lokayukta after a year – Justice
Karnataka: SC stay on ‘Made Snana’ to continue