Forest Department to select over 16 elephants for Dasara
- The Forest Department has commenced identifying the elephants that will be part of the Dasara festivities.
- The department is planning to select over 16 of them. Of these, 12 will take part in the Dasara procession while four will be used as back up.
- The department is planning to have at least four pachyderms as substitutes this year as couple of elephants fell sick prior to the Dasara celebrations.
- The idea of having additional elephants this year is to prepare the second line elephants for Dasara as few elephants such as Gajendra and Arjuna had crossed the age of 60 and 56 years respectively.
- Nagaraj, veterinary officer of the Forest Department, told that the department had already identified Ajay, Eshwar and Dhananjay of Dubare camps in addition to the 12 regular elephants for Dasara.
- Apart from these three, the department plans to introduce Drona and Krishna from Thithimathi camp. In 2016, though 12 elephants were picked for Dasara, only 10 participated in the Jumbo Savari as two were unwell. Hence, the department is planning to have keep more elephants as substitutes.
- Dr. Nagaraj said bringing even 20 elephants to the Dasara event was not an issue but accommodating and protecting them was a herculean task.
- After selecting the additional elephants, a letter will be written to the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, Bengaluru (Wildlife), seeking permission for the additional elephants. Once he permits the same, additional elephants would be deployed for the Dasara event.
- After obtaining permission both from the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and also the Dasara committee, all the elephants would be taken around in the procession route in order to be acclimatised, he said.
- Priests of the Kodi Someshwaraswamy Temple in Mysore Palace have listed few dates (auspicious dates) such as August 2, 4, 6, 10 and 14 for Gaja Payana and the Dasara committee will decide the date on which Gaja Payana should start. The committee, which is expected to meet August 16, will decide whether to bring elephants by vehicle or on foot.
- Meanwhile, Dr. Nagaraj had already examined Arjuna, the elephant that carries the Golden Howdah at Balle elephant camp and the doctor found him fit to carry the 750 kg howdah.
Deposit Contribution Works Karnataka Housing Board has undertaken deposit contribution works as per entrustment by the Government. Up to October 2015 the details of works taken and progress is as follows - 475 building projects ...READ MORE
The Government of Karnataka has allotted 323 acres of land for the formation of Housing Projects for the members of economically weaker Section of the Society 190 Acres of land has been handed ...READ MORE
From March 26th Yeshwantpur-Hassan Intercity Express on new line Trains are set to chug on the new Chikbanavar-Hassan railway line with the railways setting March 26 as tentative date for the inauguration ...READ MORE
Centre allocates Rs 795 crore drought assistance to Karnataka The Centre on 28th June allocated Rs 795.54 crore as assistance to Karnataka to provide relief to farmers who suffered loss of rabi ...READ MORE
World’s largest steelmaker ArcelorMittal may set up a solar farm on land allotted to it for a steel plant in Ballari district of Karnataka, in view of excess global steel ...READ MORE
Database soon of medicinal plants, traditional healthcare The State could soon have a modern database of local medicinal plants and knowledge pertaining to traditional healthcare practices created using Geographical Information System ...READ MORE
With the reopening of the Mysuru zoo after it was declared bird flu-free, more animals are set to join the zoo’s vast collection as part of the animal exchange programme ...READ MORE
India - Maldives Evolution of India Maldives relationship Indian Army's 'Operation Cactus' foiled a coup in Maldives that was attempted by a pro-Eelam group in 1988. Indian Coast Guard's Dornier was the first ...READ MORE
Polyhouse farming/ shelter farming is an alternative new technique in agriculture gaining foothold in rural India. In Karnataka Polyhouse farming a part of Krishi bhagya programme of GOK It reduces dependency on rainfall and ...READ MORE
Urban Development – Housing Schemes
Urban Development-Construction of Houses for EWS
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS /KPSC Exams –
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka: ArcelorMittal plans solar farm in Ballari
Database soon of medicinal plants and traditional healthcare
Mysuru zoo gets – ‘bird flu-free’ tag –
India – maldives
Poly house farming
States get more time to spend funds under