Forest Department to select over 16 elephants for Dasara
- The Forest Department has commenced identifying the elephants that will be part of the Dasara festivities.
- The department is planning to select over 16 of them. Of these, 12 will take part in the Dasara procession while four will be used as back up.
- The department is planning to have at least four pachyderms as substitutes this year as couple of elephants fell sick prior to the Dasara celebrations.
- The idea of having additional elephants this year is to prepare the second line elephants for Dasara as few elephants such as Gajendra and Arjuna had crossed the age of 60 and 56 years respectively.
- Nagaraj, veterinary officer of the Forest Department, told that the department had already identified Ajay, Eshwar and Dhananjay of Dubare camps in addition to the 12 regular elephants for Dasara.
- Apart from these three, the department plans to introduce Drona and Krishna from Thithimathi camp. In 2016, though 12 elephants were picked for Dasara, only 10 participated in the Jumbo Savari as two were unwell. Hence, the department is planning to have keep more elephants as substitutes.
- Dr. Nagaraj said bringing even 20 elephants to the Dasara event was not an issue but accommodating and protecting them was a herculean task.
- After selecting the additional elephants, a letter will be written to the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, Bengaluru (Wildlife), seeking permission for the additional elephants. Once he permits the same, additional elephants would be deployed for the Dasara event.
- After obtaining permission both from the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and also the Dasara committee, all the elephants would be taken around in the procession route in order to be acclimatised, he said.
- Priests of the Kodi Someshwaraswamy Temple in Mysore Palace have listed few dates (auspicious dates) such as August 2, 4, 6, 10 and 14 for Gaja Payana and the Dasara committee will decide the date on which Gaja Payana should start. The committee, which is expected to meet August 16, will decide whether to bring elephants by vehicle or on foot.
- Meanwhile, Dr. Nagaraj had already examined Arjuna, the elephant that carries the Golden Howdah at Balle elephant camp and the doctor found him fit to carry the 750 kg howdah.
30% bonanza for State employees In a big bonus for 5.2 lakh State government employees and 5.73 lakh pensioners ahead of the polls, the 6th Pay Commission has suggested a 30% ...READ MORE
A plot of land for India to build its first naval base in the Indian Ocean region has been allocated by the Seychelles government in the Assumption Island. Its is a joint ...READ MORE
The remaining will have to come from the State government or through private-public partnership. The larger the area, more the burden on the State government. Unlike the last year, when Rs ...READ MORE
Air quality remained abysmal on Dec 1st , with four of the seven monitoring stations reporting the “severe” warning during the morning. The situation improved slightly by 7 p.m. due to ...READ MORE
The massive campaign for Kallikattu in Tamil Nadu and a similar campaign building up for kambala in Karnataka seem to have opened a Pandora’s box. Now, there is demand from people ...READ MORE
Antibiotic resistance simply put is when infection-causing bacteria is not killed by an antibiotic that was effective earlier, the bacteria continue to thrive. Treatment options shrink further when multiple antibiotics fail ...READ MORE
The Government of Karnataka has allotted 323 acres of land for the formation of Housing Projects for the members of economically weaker Section of the Society 190 Acres of land has been handed ...READ MORE
Denmark the least corrupt country, India at 76th position India has climbed nine points to rank 76th in this year’s global corruption index topped by Denmark, with watchdog Transparency International calling ...READ MORE
The state government is all set to introduce postgraduate and short-term courses in public health for non-medical staff working in various government hospitals across the state. The Department of Health and ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 1st –
India’s naval base in Seychelles
Smart City: Bengaluru’s core areas shortlisted for project
Poor AQI in Delhi
After Jallikattu & Kambala, next demand for lifting
Urban Development-Construction of Houses for EWS
How is the Union Budget Prepared?
The Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) for 2015
Karnataka Govt to introduce public health courses for