Cloud seeding aircraft arrives from the US
- A specially-designed American aircraft, that will be used to take up cloud seeding, landed at the Jakkur airfield on 14th August.
- The Rural Development and Panchayat Raj (RDPR) department is planning to start cloud seeding tentatively on August 18 at a cost of Rs 35 crore, covering areas that have received deficient rainfall.
- The target is to cover the basins of Cauvery, Malaprabha and Tungabhadra rivers.
- Cloud seeding, which involves spreading aerosols (silver iodide or sodium chloride) into the upper part of clouds to stimulate the precipitation process to form rains, was last taken up in the state in 2003 under the S M Krishna government. Back then, the 83-day exercise was successful, the department officials said.
- The aircraft, which is a Beechcraft King Air with a rate of climb of 2,460-feet per minute, has been manufactured by North Dakota-based Weather Modification LLC, the same company that provided an aircraft for the 2003 cloud seeding drive. RDPR Minister H K Patil inspected the aircraft at the Jakkur airfield.
- So far, since June, Karnataka’s rainfall has been 26% less than what was expected. The north and south interior parts of the state, including the coast, have received deficient rainfall, according to the Meteorology department data.
- The cloud seeding will be aided by three radars that are being installed at the University of Agricultural Sciences in Bengaluru, Shorapur in Yadgir district and one in Gadag.
- These radars — expected to be commissioned in a couple of days — will help the authorities identify clouds that are suitable for seeding. In July 2008, Patil took up a private initiative for cloud seeding in Gadag, Haveri and Dharwad districts, which resulted in increase in rainfall in the range of 20 mm to 45 mm, a statement said.
Parched state banks on monsoon revival; more rainfall forecast for next 10 days
- The state, which is facing another drought year, is now banking on the revival of the monsoon. According to the Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre (KSNDMC), the state has received 27% deficit rainfall.
- However, the situation could improve in the coming days as the weatherman has forecast the monsoon’s revival in the next 10 to 12 days.
- Conditions seem favourable for the formation of upper air cyclonic circulation and trough, due to which good rainfall is likely to occur in coastal and south interior Karnataka regions
- From June 1 till August 11, against the normal of 558 mm, Karnataka has received only 407 mm rainfall.
- Only four districts (Kalaburagi, Raichur, Koppal and Uttara Kannada) received normal rainfall, while the remaining 26 have received a deficit
- The worst-hit regions are Dharwad, Haveri, Gadag and Bengaluru Urban.
- According to IMD data, Bengaluru city has received 112 mm from June 1, which a deficit of 134 mm from normal.
- The KSNDMC data shows that the reservoir catchment areas of Malnad region (Shivamogga, Hassan, Chikkamagaluru and Kodagu) have experienced deficit rainfall.
- Due to this, the reservoirs haven’t filled up. Only Almatti reservoir is full. Vijayapura received 159 mm against the normal of 212 mm.
- But since Maharashtra received heavy rainfall, it helped fill the Almatti catchment areas. Harangi and Narayanpur reservoirs are almost full while Supa and Ghataprabha are half filled.
- The remaining reservoirs Linganamakki, Varahi, Hemavathi, KRS, Kabini, Bhadra, Tungabhadra and Malaprabha have not even reached half the storage capacity, observed another KSNDMC official.
The Mysuru Division of South Western Railways has initiated additional precautionary measures to beef up rail safety following the recent train accident near Kanpur that claimed nearly 150 lives. This includes ...READ MORE
Fire in Kalkere Range Thousands of acres of forest cover burnt down in forest fire in Bandipur tiger reserve on Saturday and a forest guard succumbed to burn injuries while preventing the flames ...READ MORE
In a development that gives a big boost to the aviation industry in Karnataka, aerospace major Boeing is holding talks with the state government on setting up a new aircraft ...READ MORE
ದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ಪ್ರಸ್ತುತವಾಗಿರುವ ಎಂಜಿನಿಯರಿಂಗ್ ಮತ್ತು ತಂತ್ರಜ್ಞಾನ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರಗಳ ಸವಾಲುಗಳನ್ನು ಎದುರಿಸುವ ಸಂಶೋಧನೆಗಳಿಗೆ ಅವಕಾಶ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಡುವ ಮಹತ್ವಾಕಾಂಕ್ಷಿ ಯೋಜನೆ ‘ಇಂಪ್ರಿಂಟ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ’ಗೆ ಚಾಲನೆ ‘ಇಂಪ್ರಿಂಟ್’ನ್ನು ಐಐಟಿ ಮತ್ತು ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ ಜಂಟಿಯಾಗಿ ನಿರ್ವಹಿಸುತ್ತವೆ. ಸಂಶೋಧನೆಗಳು ಇಂದಿನ ಸಮಾಜಕ್ಕೆ ದೊಡ್ಡ ಪ್ರಮಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ ನೆರವಾಗುವಂತಿರಬೇಕು. ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮದ ಉದ್ದೇಶ: ಸಮಾಜದಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾವ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೊಸತನದ ...READ MORE
Govt. starts process to roll out Smart City plan After finally making it to the list of ‘Smart Cities’, the process to make Bengaluru ‘smart’ has begun, with the State government ...READ MORE
ಅನುಪಾತ (ಸಿಎಸ್ಆರ್), ಇಳಿಕೆ ಪ್ರವೃತ್ತಿ, 1961 ರಲ್ಲಿ 1000 ಹುಡುಗಿಯರಿಗೆ 0-6 ವರ್ಷಗಳ ವಯಸ್ಸಿನ ಹುಡುಗರ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆ ನಡುವೆ ವ್ಯಾಖ್ಯಾನಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ . ಮಕ್ಕಳ ಲಿಂಗ ಎನಿಕೆಯು 1991 ರಲ್ಲಿ 945, 2001 ರಲ್ಲಿ 927, ಮತ್ತು ಅವ್ಯಾಹತವಾಗಿ 2011 ರಲ್ಲಿ 918 ಗೆ ...READ MORE
Govt's plan worked: Specialist doctors bid for rural service The government’s attempt to get specialist doctors to name their price to work in the villages is yielding good results. The Health department ...READ MORE
Integrated Farming (IF) is a whole farm management system which aims to deliver more sustainable agriculture. It can be applied to any farming system around the world. It involves attention to ...READ MORE
The Karnataka state has seen 144 acid attack victims since 2003-04. A large number have lost (some partially) their sight and are badly scarred. A majority of the victims are ...READ MORE
Empowered Committee formed to develop ring roads around 25 cities The State Cabinet has constituted an Empowered Committee for development of ring roads around 25 cities, mainly district headquarters, under the ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Mysuru Railway Division Intensifies Track Patrolling
Everything you need to know about Bandipur Forest
Karnataka: Boeing in talks with govt to set
ಇಂಪ್ರಿಂಟ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ’ಗೆ ಚಾಲನೆ
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 24th
ಬೇಟಿ ಬಚಾವೊ, ಬೇಟಿ ಪಢಾವ್
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Welfare of acid attack victims
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 14th