HC stay on Bellandur
- All issues from Karnataka have to be heard by the Southern Bench in Chennai as per the distribution of jurisdiction among various benches across the country under Section 4(3) of the NGT Act, 2010 and a notification issued by the Ministry of Environment in this regard in 2011, the petitioner claimed.
- As the Principal Bench has no jurisdiction to hear issues related to Karnataka, its order on Bellandur lake is without jurisdiction, and hence cannot be given effect in law, the petitioner has claimed.
- Questioning the legality of the order passed by the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB) on May 12, 2017 for closure of the unit solely based on the NGT’s April 19 direction and sans any prior notice or any complaint of pollution against the unit, the petitioner has pointed out that it is neither using water from Bellandur lake nor discharging any effluent, as it has set up its own sewerage treatment plant.
- A joint inspection on May 16 by officials of the KSPCB and the Central Pollution Control Board indicated that the brewery is not letting any effluent into the water body, but the KSPCB did not act on a plea submitted by the petitioner on May 20 for revocation of the closure order, the petition stated.
- The court stayed the May 12 order of KSPCB for closing the brewery.
KRCL to plant 1.5 lakh saplings this year
- Konkan Railway Corporation Ltd. (KRCL) recently celebrated World Environment Day at its headquarters in Mumbai and across its network, including Karwar and Udupi, by arranging a host of activities.
- The corporation planted about 1.12 lakh saplings along its network in 2016-17, and in 2017-18 it plans to plant another 1.5 lakh saplings.
- As one of the oldest signatories of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), KRCL has taken several initiatives towards environment protection, including the unique Roll-On-Roll-Off service for trucks since 1999 which saves over 750 lakh litres of diesel, a release said.
- On World Environment Day,planting of medicinal plants was arranged near Udupi Railway Station in association with SDM College of Ayurveda and Hospital. A drawing-cum-painting competition was held in Karwar.
- KRCL’s indigenously designed Automatic Coach Washing Plant, which helps save 10 million litres of water a year in addition to effluent treatment and water recycling, is being emulated in other sectors of Indian Railways. The corporation has also undertaken rainwater harvesting activities and produces of solar and wind power.
Team inspects anti-dengue operations
- A four-member team from the National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme (NVBDCP) visited many places in the city and K.R. Nagar, Berya, Adaguru, Yelwal, Ootagalli in the district on 15th June and supervised the work being done by the Health Department in creating awareness about dengue.
- The team led by Sheriff, Research Officer, NVBDCP, along with Chidambara, District Vector Borne Diseases Officer, paid surprise visits to houses in Yelwal and K.R. Nagar and examined water containers.
- They also educated people about dengue and directed them to keep changing the water in the containers frequently.
- Residents, however, complained that they get water once in three to four days and it was inevitable for them to store it for a few days.
- Later, the team suggested that ASHA workers could be given a chemical to apply it in water containers such as concrete tubs and ensure that mosquitoes do not breed there.
- Hitherto, ASHA workers were not given the chemical for safety reasons. The team told Dr. Chidambara to educate ASHA workers about proper use of the chemical.
- The team also enquired about the malaria eradication programme.
- Mr. Sheriff told the officials that a team from World Health Organisation may visit Mysuru city in the next two months and assess the performance of the eradication programme.
ICAI sets up GST help desk
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) will set up a ‘GST Sahayata Desk’ at its office here to create awareness on the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- Rekha Devanand, chairperson of the Udupi branch of ICAI, said the help desk will explain the benefits of GST to small businessmen and answer their queries.
- It will also guide them on migration and filing of GST returns.
- The help desk will function at the office of ICAI at Mahalasa Damodar Towers on Kalsanka-Kadiyali Road.
- It will be open from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays till September 30. Businessmen and other stakeholders could also call 0820-2536603 with their queries, she said.
- Ms. Devanand said Nirmala Sitharaman, Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, would inaugurate the help desk at the ICAI branch at noon on 16th June.
- Members of chambers of trade and commerce, business associations and other stakeholders are expected to participate in the inaugural function
- The GST combines all indirect taxes into one. Only the final customer will be taxed, and this eliminates the cascading of taxes.
- The GST will be implemented from July 1. According to the directions of the Indirect Tax Committee of ICAI, steps have been being taken to open help desks at all the branches of ICAI to take queries from stakeholders, Ms. Devanand said.
ಸಮಾಜದಲ್ಲಿ ವರದಕ್ಷಿಣೆ ಕಿರುಕುಳ, ಕೌಟುಂಬಿಕ ದೌರ್ಜನ್ಯ, ಅತ್ಯಾಚಾರ ಹಾಗೂ ಲೈಂಗಿಕ ಕಿರುಕುಳಕ್ಕೊಳಗಾದ ಮಹಿಳೆಯರಿಗೆ ಸಹಾಯ ಒದಗಿಸುವ ಉದ್ದೇಶದಿಂದ ಸಾಂತ್ವನ ಯೋಜನೆಯನ್ನು 2000-2001 ನೇ ಸಾಲಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಮಂಜೂರು ಮಾಡಲಾಯಿತು. ಇಂತಹ ಮಹಿಳೆಯರಿಗೆ ಕಾನೂನು ನೆರವು, ತಾತ್ಕಾಲಿಕ ಆಶ್ರಯ, ಆರ್ಥಿಕ ಪರಿಹಾರ, ಹಾಗೂ ತರಬೇತಿ ...READ MORE
ವಾಹನದಟ್ಟಣೆ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ನಂ.2 ಸಂಚಾರ ದಟ್ಟಣೆ ಸಮಸ್ಯೆಯಿಂದಾಗಿ ಇಡೀ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರಕ್ಕೆ ವಾರ್ಷಿಕ 1.5 ಲಕ್ಷ ಕೋಟಿ ರೂ. ನಷ್ಟವಾಗುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಇತ್ತಿಚಿನ ಅಧ್ಯಯನ ವರದಿ ತಿಳಿಸಿದೆ. ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ಸೇರಿ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರದ ನಾಲ್ಕು ಪ್ರಮುಖ ನಗರಗಳಾದ ದೆಹಲಿ, ಮುಂಬೈ ಮತ್ತು ಕೋಲ್ಕತದಲ್ಲಿ ನಡೆಸಲಾದ ಅಧ್ಯಯನದಿಂದ ಈ ...READ MORE
What is congenital hypothyroidism? Congenital hypothyroidism (CHT) is a condition resulting from an absent or under-developed thyroid gland (dysgenesis) or one that has developed but cannot make thyroid hormone because of ...READ MORE
Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda Topic: Modern Indian History IN NEWS: The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved renaming of Jharsuguda Airport, Odisha as “Veer Surendra Sai ...READ MORE
A plot of land for India to build its first naval base in the Indian Ocean region has been allocated by the Seychelles government in the Assumption Island. Its is a joint ...READ MORE
ವಿಶ್ವಾಸ ಕಿರಣ ಯೋಜನೆ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ ?ದಸರಾ ರಜೆ ವೇಳೆ, ವಿಶ್ವಾಸ ಕಿರಣ ಯೋಜನೆಯಡಿ ಪರಿಹಾರ ಬೋಧನೆಯ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಕ್ಕೆ ಹಾಜರಾಗುವ ಎಲ್ಲ ವಿದ್ಯಾರ್ಥಿಗಳು, ಈ ಬಾರಿ ಮಧ್ಯಾಹ್ನದ ಬಿಸಿಯೂಟ ಸವಿಯಲಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ವಿಶ್ವಾಸ ಕಿರಣ ಯೋಜನೆ ಕಲಿಕೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಹಿಂದುಳಿದ ಸರಕಾರಿ ಪ್ರೌಢಶಾಲಾ ಮಕ್ಕಳನ್ನು ಶೈಕ್ಷಣಿಕವಾಗಿ ಮುಖ್ಯವಾಹಿನಿಗೆ ತರಲು ...READ MORE
The state government is gearing up to set up a mini hydel project next to the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, an elephant corridor, even as cases of jumbos straying out of ...READ MORE
The Cabinet on 15th Feb gave in-principle approval for implementing the long-pending Mekedatu multipurpose project utilising the Cauvery river water at a cost of Rs 5,912 crore. The project will help ...READ MORE
India ranks 115 in World Bank human capital index Topic: Indian Economy IN NEWS: Overall, India was ranked 115 among 157 countries. That’s much below its Asian peers, including China ranked 46, ...READ MORE
India Energy Modelling Forum Topic: Economy In News: NITI Aayog and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) organized the first workshop on development of the India Energy Modelling Forum ...READ MORE
“27th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka: Doctors want govt to mandate hypothyroidism test
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS – 2nd November
India’s naval base in Seychelles
10th ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Karnataka: Govt to set up hydel project in
Karnataka: Cabinet approves 5,912-cr Mekedatu reservoir project
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 12th October
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 16th March