Kolar leaf-nosed bat habitat a conservation reserve
- Rediscovered four years ago in the caves of Hanumanahalli Betta in Mulbagal taluk of Kolar district, the endangered Hipposiderid bats, also known as Kolar leaf-nosed bats, were threatened by quarrying. The state government on Wednesday declared the area a Conservation Reserve
- Though the state government had banned mining and quarrying at the hillock in 2014, the bats were fast dwindling, prompting conservationists to exert pressure on the government to declare the region a protected area.
- According to reports, the hillock is the only habitat of these species of bats in the world.
- According to the IUCN list, the bats were on the endangered list of animals and it was our duty to protect those species for future generations
- A one-kilometre radius of the area around the hillock has been declared as “Safe Zone”.
- The bats, which were considered extinct, were retraced by researchers from Osmania University and Biodiversity Research and Conservation Society.
- A move to declare 40,000 acres of reserve forest in Bukkapatna in Tumakuru as Wildlife Sanctuary and merge 15 sq km of Muneshwara Reserve Forests with Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary was also cleared
Kolar leaf-nosed bat
- The Kolar leaf-nosed bat (Hipposideros hypophyllus), or leafletted leaf-nosed bat is a species of bat in the family Hipposideridae.
- It is endemic to India. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and caves. It is found in only one cave in India, and its population is less than 200 individuals.
- It is known from only one cave in Hanumanahalli village in the Kolar district of the state of Karnataka in India.
- Its cave is described as an inaccessibly narrow opening in granite rocks.
- Previously, it was known from a nearby cave in Therahalli village, but it is absent from that cave as of 2014. It has not been encountered at elevations above 570 m (1,870 ft). The habitat surrounding its single remaining cave consists of tropical dry shrublan
The process of getting fish-catch data related to inland fisheries is expected to get revolutionised with the development of a mobile-based application.The app, which has been developed by the Central ...READ MORE
RBI to Infuse Rs 36000cr to ease Liquidity Topic: GS-3 Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment. IN NEWS: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) ...READ MORE
ಪುರಂದರದಾಸರು ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದ್ದಾರೆ? ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಸಂಗೀತದ ಪಿತಾಮಹ ಪುರಂದರದಾಸರ ಹುಟ್ಟೂರಿನ ಜಿಜ್ಞಾಸೆಗೆ ಕೊನೆಗೂ ತೆರೆ ಬಿದ್ದಿದೆ. ಶಿವಮೊಗ್ಗ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆ ತೀರ್ಥಹಳ್ಳಿ ತಾಲೂಕಿನ ಆರಗ ಪ್ರಾಂತ್ಯವೇ ದಾಸಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಪುರಂದರಾಸರ ಹುಟ್ಟೂರು ಎಂಬ ಖಚಿತ ವರದಿಯನ್ನು ಅಧ್ಯಯನ ಸಮಿತಿ ಸರಕಾರಕ್ಕೆ ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಿದೆ. ಪುರಂದರದಾಸರ ಹುಟ್ಟೂರು ಮಲೆಸೀಮೆ ಎಂಬ ...READ MORE
As per Registrar General of India, Sample Registration System (SRS) 2013, the Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) is 40 per 1000 live births. the Neonatal Mortality Rate (NMR) is 28 per 1000 live ...READ MORE
Directorate of Radiation Safety to be set up soon The State government will soon set up a Directorate of Radiation Safety (DRS) under the Department of Health and Family Welfare. This follows ...READ MORE
LS passes Bill banning commercial surrogacy Topic: Social Justice IN NEWS: The Lok Sabha passed a Bill banning commercial surrogacy with penal provisions of jail term of up to 10 years and ...READ MORE
Swachh Survekshan Grameen, 2018 Why in news? The Centre has launched the Swachh Survekshan Grameen, 2018, a nationwide survey of rural India to rank the cleanest and dirtiest States and districts on ...READ MORE
Forest dept to take up seed ball dispersal in big afforestation drive The Forest department has decided to rope in citizens in a big way in afforestation to take up seed ...READ MORE
After canteens, state govt launches Indira Clinic After the launch of Indira Canteens in the city, the government has launched the Indira Transit Clinic to cater to the medical needs of ...READ MORE
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
Fishery Friends- Karnataka
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 2nd October
“1st ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Infant Mortality- Status
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams-23rd December 2018
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 20th December
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 14th July
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 3rd
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot