Pressure mounts on State to reduce VAT on petrol, diesel
- With Gujarat, Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh reducing Value Added Tax (VAT) on fuel from Wednesday, towing the line of the Centre which reduced the Central Excise duty by Rs. 2 on October 4, other States, including Karnataka, are under pressure to reduce the rates.
- The reduction in the rates coincides with the demand by truckers and petroleum dealers to bring auto fuels under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime.
- Both sectors have sought uniform pricing across the country under the one nation, one tax concept to facilitate equality, both for operators and State governments.
- On 11th Oct, Uttarakhand too announced slashing VAT by 2% on auto fuel where petrol is taxed at 33.25% and diesel at 19.93%.
- Both the Central and State governments are reluctant to bring auto fuel under the GST in view of huge revenues they are generating through Central Excise and VAT.
- Centre’s revenues from petroleum products almost doubled from Rs. 1,72,066 crore in 2014–15 to Rs. 3,34,534 crore in 2016–17, while it would part with 42% of the earnings with the State governments. State governments’ earnings rose from Rs. 1,60,554 crore in 2014–15 to Rs. 1,89,770 crore in 2016–17.
- Maharashtra had mopped up the highest revenue, whose receipts from petroleum products increased from Rs. 19,795 crore in 2014–15 to Rs. 23,160 crore in 2016–17. Karnataka too witnessed substantial earnings, which rose from Rs. 8,668 crore to Rs. 11,103 crore during the period.
- While Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah ruled out any rollback in VAT on auto fuel, Additional Chief Secretary (Finance) I.S.N. Prasad said he doubted if all States would agree for GST, during the next at least a year or so until the new tax regime stabilises.
BMRCL finally makes Phase II DPR public
- The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) on 12th Oct uploaded the detailed project report for Phase II of Namma Metro on their website bringing cheer to a large section of citizens who had been demanding that these documents be made public.
- BMRCL released the DPR for all four extensions of Phase I, the Gottigere-IIMB-Nagavara corridor and the R.V. Road to Bommasandra corridor.
- “This is a very good move, as people will now be able to study the DPR in detail. For those living along the Phase II lines, information about the station location, exits, execution of construction and reasons for selection of site for stations will now be clear,” said Sanjeev V. Dyamanavvar of Praja RAAG.
- The fight for making these documents public had been raging for the past few months with Members of Parliament P.C. Mohan and Ananth Kumar also demanding the same. Even Congress Member of Parliament Rajeev Gowda had recently spoken in favour of making the DPR public.
- In the past, BMRCL had stated that the DPR could not be made public as it was prepared by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) which cites DPRs as being protected from sharing under the Right to Information Act 2005.
Growers protest against import of pepper
- Coffee growers of Sakleshpur, on Thursday, took out a protest march in the town protesting against the Centre’s alleged import of pepper from Vietnam.
- The growers alleged that the import has caused huge loss for the growers as the price of the commodity came down recently.
- Under the banner of Karnataka Growers’ Federation, the growers assembled at the office of the Assistant Commissioner of Sakleshpur and submitted a memorandum, addressed to Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- Federation president B.S. Jairam and general secretary U.M. Thirthamallesh led the protest.
- The price of pepper in the local market was around Rs. 660 per kg last year. However, it has come down to Rs. 380 this year.
- The protesters said the import of low-quality pepper to India from Vietnam had hit rates in India.
- Growers are in crisis as the prices came down by almost 40%. Pepper imported from Vietnam is said to have residues that can cause serious health problems.
- The government should stop the import and stand by growers of the country,” the protesters said in the memorandum.
Karnataka set to get its own medical and wellness tourism policy
Startup India is a flagship initiative of the Government of India, intended to build a strong eco-system for nurturing innovation and Startups in the country that will drive sustainable economic growth and ...READ MORE
‘Rally for Rivers’ set to arrive in Mysuru The ‘Rally for Rivers’, flagged off by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Harsh Vardhan on September 3, will reach Mysuru ...READ MORE
The North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme (NKUSIP) is the third Asian Development Bank assisted urban development project in Karnataka. The expected impact of the Investment Program is improved urban infrastructure ...READ MORE
The incidents of cross-border firing have shown a sharp decline after the border guarding forces of the two countries decided to “pick up the phone before picking up the gun”, ...READ MORE
"Nuclear safety, terror to be in focus as PM plans three-nation tour" India's agenda at the fourth Nuclear Security Summit (NSS 2016) in Washington Will push for a global initiative against nuclear ...READ MORE
ಸುಳ್ಳು ಸುದ್ದಿ ಪ್ರಕಟಿಸಿದರೆ ಪತ್ರಕರ್ತರ ಮಾನ್ಯತೆ ರದ್ದು: ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸುಳ್ಳು ಸುದ್ದಿ ಸೃಷ್ಟಿಸುವ ಮತ್ತು ಹರಡುವ ಪತ್ರಕರ್ತರ ಮಾನ್ಯತೆ ರದ್ದು ಮಾಡುವುದಾಗಿ ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಹೇಳಿದೆ. ಸುಳ್ಳು ಸುದ್ದಿ ಪ್ರಕಟಿಸಿದ ಅಥವಾ ಪ್ರಸಾರ ಮಾಡಿದ ಆರೋಪ ಸಾಬೀತಾದರೆ, ಮೊದಲ ತಪ್ಪಿಗೆ ಆರು ತಿಂಗಳ ಮಟ್ಟಿಗೆ ...READ MORE
Deposit Contribution Works Karnataka Housing Board has undertaken deposit contribution works as per entrustment by the Government. Up to October 2015 the details of works taken and progress is as follows - 475 building projects ...READ MORE
India Post releases envelope to mark World Elephant Day Chief Minister of Karnataka released a special postal cover to mark World Elephant Day. Brought out by India Post, the envelope is eco-friendly, ...READ MORE
The Centre on 17th November told the Supreme Court that Telangana’s share of Krishna waters must be provided from the allocation determined for Andhra Pradesh before its re-organisation. Attorney General Mukul ...READ MORE
ಇ–ವಾಹನ ಚಾರ್ಜಿಂಗ್ ಕೇಂದ್ರಕ್ಕೆ ಪರವಾನಗಿ ಅನಗತ್ಯ ಬ್ಯಾಟರಿ ಚಾಲಿತ ವಾಹನಗಳ (ಇ–ವಾಹನ) ಚಾರ್ಜಿಂಗ್ ಕೇಂದ್ರಗಳಿಗೆ ಪರವಾನಗಿ ಪಡೆಯುವ ಅವಶ್ಯಕತೆ ಇಲ್ಲ ಎಂದು ಇಂಧನ ಸಚಿವಾಲಯ ಹೇಳಿದೆ. ಈ ಕ್ರಮದಿಂದಾಗಿ ಇ–ವಾಹನಗಳ ಬಳಕೆಗೆ ಹೆಚ್ಚಿನ ಪ್ರೋತ್ಸಾಹ ದೊರಕಲಿದೆ. ‘ವಿದ್ಯುಚ್ಛಕ್ತಿ ಕಾಯ್ದೆ ಅಡಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ವಿದ್ಯುತ್ ಪ್ರಸರಣ, ಸರಬರಾಜು, ...READ MORE
All you need to know about Startup India
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Urban Development: North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme
DG-level talks with Pak bears fruit
All about nuclear security summit
“3rd ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Urban Development – Housing Schemes
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 13th August
Krishna Water: Karnataka Counters Telangana plea
“17th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”