Air quality takes a hit during Dasara
- The air quality in Mysuru had reached ‘harmful’ levels during the Dasara celebrations in the city.
- The PM10 (Particulate Matter 10 Micrometers) value had reached 110 microgram/cubic metre (measured between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. in the heart of the city), which, according to the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB), was 46% more than the value measured before the celebrations (in the first week of October) began.
- Emission from automobiles has been one of the major sources of PM10, reckoned to be a major air pollutant.
- Also, the PM2.5 value, during the first week of October, was 25.4 microgram/cubic metre and the value went up to 38.2 microgram/cubic metre (measured between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m.), an increase of 33.5%.
- Particulate matter pollution causes respiratory problems and aggravates conditions in asthma patients with difficulty in breathing
- The Dasara celebration began on October 10 and concluded on October 19. There was a two to three-fold rise in vehicles entering the city owing to the festivities.
- The value was 61 microgram, 80 microgram and 52 microgram on October 16 (measured at three different timing) and 62 microgram, 110 microgram (maximum in the season) and 58 microgram on October 20. The PM2.5 was 36.4 microgram and 38.2 microgram on October 16 and 20 respectively.
- There was also an increase in the average PM10 concentration from the first week to the third week.
- The concentration was 46 micrometres and 48 micrometres on October 3 and 5 respectively. However, the concentrations went up on October 16 and 20 with the levels reaching 64 micrometres and 77 micrometres respectively.
In 19 years, encroachment of forest areas rose by 465% in Karnataka Under-reporting of the extent of forest fire damage, number of roadkills, extent of encroachment, and decrease in forest cover ...READ MORE
What are the underlying causes? El Nino The El Niño is a weather phenomenon resulting in warmer than expected ocean temperatures in the central and eastern parts of the tropical belt of ...READ MORE
Drop in married women using modern family planning methods Karnataka has recorded a decline in use of modern family planning methods by married women, with just over 50 per cent of ...READ MORE
ಚೀನಾದ ಬಾಹ್ಯಾಕಾಶ ಪ್ರಯೋಗಾಲಯ ಸಮುದ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಪತನ ಟಿಯಾಂಗಾಂಗ್ -1 ಹೆಸರಿನ ಚೀನಾದ ಬಾಹ್ಯಾಕಾಶ ಪ್ರಯೋಗಾಲಯ ಪೆಸಿಫಿಕ್ ಸಾಗರದಲ್ಲಿ ಪತನಗೊಂಡಿದೆ ಎಂದು ಚೀನಾದ ಬಾಹ್ಯಾಕಾಶ ಅಧ್ಯಯನ ಸಂಸ್ಥೆ ದೃಢಪಡಿಸಿದೆ. ಬಾಹ್ಯಾಕಾಶ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಮಹಾತ್ವಾಕಾಂಕ್ಷೆ ಹೊಂದಿರುವ ಚೀನಾ, ಬಾಹ್ಯಾಕಾಶದ ಪ್ರಯೋಗಗಳಿಗೆ ಬಳಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲು 2011ರಲ್ಲಿ ಟಿಯಾಂಗಾಂಗ್-1 ಅನ್ನು ಕಕ್ಷೆಗೆ ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated First National Tribal Carnival-2016 in New Delhi on 25th Oct The tribal carnival would showcase the capabilities of the tribal communities, in the national capital. The Prime ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Govt deposits input subsidy into drought-hit farmers' accounts The government on 14th March took measures to deposit Rs 671 crore to bank accounts of 9.68 lakh drought-hit farmers as input subsidy ...READ MORE
Faced with acute water shortage, particularly during the summer months, Bengaluru is struggling hard to cope . If this is the scenario now, how scary will it be in 2031? ...READ MORE
Inland container yard work to begin soon at Kadakola Work on the proposed greenfield project for an inland container yard by Container Corporation of India Ltd. (Concor) at Kadakola, between Mysuru ...READ MORE
India among nations that face grave danger to soil biodiversity: WWF Topic: Environment and Ecology IN NEWS: India’s soil biodiversity is in grave peril, according to the Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas prepared by ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Chennai floods explained
National Family Health Survey: Karnataka Related Data
2nd ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
National Tribal Carnival 2016
Karnataka: Today’s Current Affairs – 15th March 2017
Bengaluru’s water needs in 2031: Master Plan paints
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 4th August
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 31st
Amendment to CRZ 2011