Why in news: Major public assets of 55 gram panchayats under Mangaluru taluk are now available online. In a first-of-its-kind exercise in the State, the assets have been spatially mapped on a pilot basis under the Bhuvan Panchayats project of the government.
About the Project:
- It is a a joint initiative by ISRO, Dakshina Kannada Zilla Panchayat, and Alva’s Institute of Engineering and Technology, Moodbidri
- The assets that are documented are available on www.bhuvan-panchayat. nrsc.gov.in
- The mapping was done in 25 days. Of 281 public assets identified by the National Remote Sensing Centre, ISRO, 192 categories of assets were found in Mangaluru taluk
- It would help the panchayat in planning its future public projects. For example, it has been found that there are only two rainwater harvesting structures against 277 public open well-cum-borewells.
- We can decide our priorities on the need to construct recharging structures as well as to replenish the groundwater
- The mapping has found that the taluk (excluding the jurisdiction of Mangaluru City Corporation and other urban local bodies) has 19 check dams and 22 rivers. The data helps in planning future check dams as well.
- Every planner would be equipped with the requirements of the village with this project. It also helps in drawing inferences.
- The mapping found 111 banks under the jurisdiction of 55 panchayats indicating high commercial activity.
Space based Information Support for Decentralized Planning (SIS-DP)
The Project entitled “Space based Information Support for Decentralized Planning (SIS-DP)” aims at providing web based spatial information system comprising of ortho-rectified satellite image, thematic and field data, resource maps, cadastral maps, administrative boundaries, infrastructure layers, climate and socio-economic data along with user friendly tools which act as input for the Decentralized Planning.
The project is aligned towards inclusive, participatory and coordinated approach for local area development to ensure grass root planning. The goal of the project is to provide large scale geospatial Information support, enabling environment and capacity building for Decentralized Planning in (GIS) environment.The project is being executed by respective State Remote Sensing Applications Centres (SRSAC) under the technical and financial support from ISRO. The Geo-Portal named as “Bhuvan Panchayats” acts as an enabling environment to search, access, visualize, understand and analyze the data for carrying out Activity Mapping and Asset Mapping towards Implementation and Monitoring.
Based on the Requirements of PRIs working at three levels in the country, the Major functions of the present version of the portal include Visualization of selected Area of Interest. Based on the requirements and data availability, the present version of the portal contains High Resolution Satellite Imageries and Base Datasets