- The Karnataka government took the legislation route to curtail planting of saplings that have adverse effect on environment and ground water.
- The Legislative Assembly on Thursday passed the Karnataka Preservation of Trees (Amendment) Bill, 2016 that provides for regulating the planting and cultivation of saplings which cause ecological damage and erode soil fertility.
- The bill, piloted by Forest Minister Ramanath Rai, also provides for the government to regulate planting of saplings which support and hosts pests.
- However, the bill has not named any specific species that are harmful to nature and should be banned from cultivation.
- The state government, through a circular in 2012, had banned planting of acacia and eucalyptus as these two species caused environmental damage. However, there was no effectively implementation of the circular.
How Eucalyptus Tree causes Eco Damage
- Eucalyptus trees (Eucalyptus spp.) are native to Australia, but have adapted to climates all over the world thanks to their shallow root system, and grow in India.
- These trees have a shallow root system, which developed as a way to survive in a harsh native environment, where accessing a limited amount of rainfall is crucial to survival. It’s this shallow root system that can make eucalyptus trees a danger.
- About 90 percent of a eucalyptus tree’s roots grow in the top 12 inches of soil. This shallow root system grows rapidly, and along with a strong taproot, the lateral roots are vital to keeping a eucalyptus tree upright.
- A eucalyptus tree’s taproot must grow down into the soil at least 6 feet to ensure good anchorage. The lateral roots spread out for up to 100 feet to help support the rest of the tree, and this can be an issue for nearby buildings and structures.
- The roots and rootlets of eucalyptus trees planted in a yard can grow into ditches, clog water pipes, and crack septic tanks and cisterns. The roots of eucalyptus trees planted in an urban environment can damage sidewalks, curbs and gutters.
- As the shallow eucalyptus roots grow and produce secondary thickening growth, they can heave up paved surfaces above and around them.
Eat Right Movement "The Eat Right Movement" aims to empower the citizens by improving their health and wellbeing. Led by the FSSAI, it is a collective effort, to nudge the citizens ...READ MORE
ಉತ್ತರ-ದಕ್ಷಿಣ ಸ್ನೇಹಮಿಲನ ಸತತ ಆರೂವರೆ ದಶಕ ಕಾಲ ಬೂದಿ ಮುಚ್ಚಿದ ಕೆಂಡದಂತಿದ್ದ ದಕ್ಷಿಣ ಹಾಗೂ ಉತ್ತರ ಕೊರಿಯಾ ಸಂಬಂಧದಲ್ಲಿ ಸುಧಾರಣೆ ತರುವ ಐತಿಹಾಸಿಕ 13 ಒಪ್ಪಂದಗಳಿಗೆ ಉಭಯ ದೇಶಗಳ ಮುಖ್ಯಸ್ಥರು ಷರಾ ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ‘ವಿಶ್ವ ಕಂಟಕ’ ಎಂಬ ಕುಖ್ಯಾತಿ ಪಡೆದ ಉತ್ತರ ಕೊರಿಯಾ ...READ MORE
Blockchain is the technology behind web-based cryptocurrency bitcoin. Cyrptocurrencies such as bitcoin have been making a lot of buzz over the last few years The underlying blockchain technology emerged from the shadows of cryptocurrencies ...READ MORE
Lynching Why in news? Asking whether the people of India have lost their tolerance for one another, the Supreme Court condemned the recent spate of lynchings as “horrendous acts of mobocracy” and ...READ MORE
The new simplified “Guidelines Governing Adoption of Children 2015” notified by the Central Government on 17th July 2015 became operational form August 2015. Along with it, the fully revamped IT application ...READ MORE
Chittoor cop first Indian woman to scale Mt. Elbrus Chittoor district Additional Superintendent of Police G.R. Radhika created a record by scaling Mount Elbrus, the highest mountain in Russia and in ...READ MORE
BBMP to cut dependence on garbage contractors The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) has learnt the hard way that it cannot depend on garbage contractors who rent out transport vehicles for ...READ MORE
BBMP launches ‘Fix My Street’ app In a bid to ensure speedy redressal of civic grievances, the BBMP has launched an app called ‘Fix My Street’. The app, which was rolled out ...READ MORE
ಅಣ್ಣಾ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಇಂದಿರಾ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ ಮಾದರಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ನಾಗರಿಕರಿಗೆ ಕಡಿಮೆ ದರದಲ್ಲಿ ಆಹಾರ ಪೂರೈಸುವ ಅಣ್ಣಾ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಕ್ಕೆ ಆಂಧ್ರಪ್ರದೇಶ ಮುಖ್ಯಮಂತ್ರಿ ಎನ್. ಚಂದ್ರಬಾಬು ನಾಯ್ಡು ಅವರು ಚಾಲನೆ ನೀಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ನೂತನವಾಗಿ ಉದ್ಘಾಟನೆಯಾಗಿರುವ ಈ ಕ್ಯಾಂಟೀನ್ಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಐದು ರೂಪಾಯಿಗಳಿಗೆ ಉಪಹಾರ ಮತ್ತು ...READ MORE
Rains douse threat of fire in national parks Incessant rains over the past few days in the Mysuru region have doused the threat of forest fires in Nagarahole and Bandipur national ...READ MORE
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams -12th July
“28th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Blockchain – Technology behind Bit coin
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 18th July
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 20th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 14th Dec
12th ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 8th