- The four cities from Karnataka selected in the second round of the Smart City initiative have commenced the process of selecting project management consultants to help execute their respective action plan for city improvement.
- The corporations of Hubballi-Dharwad, Mangaluru, Shivamogga and Tumakuru have invited request for proposals from interested project management consultants and have fixed January 6, 2017 as the last date for submitting the proposals.
- The Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development and Finance Corporation (KUIDFC) in Bengaluru, the nodal agency for the Smart City initiative, the cities will simultaneously work on constituting Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) for programme implementation.
- The SPVs are companies with a board of directors from the state government, Ministry of Urban Development and independent directors.
- The SPVs are proposed to be put in place to ensure autonomy in decision-making and mission implementation of smart cities.
- The cities of Belagavi and Davangere, selected in the first round of the Smart City initiative, have already received Rs 388 crore each to execute their planned projects. The Centre and state governments have chipped in with Rs 194 crore each (two annual instalments for the five-year Rs 1,000 crore Smart City Mission).
- Belagavi and Davangere have finalised their priority areas for development after public consultation, the four cities selected in the second round will soon have to put in place a forum for public discussion and debate before finalising their action plans.
- All the cities trying their luck to get into the Smart City Mission list have to submit their proposals in two parts- one pertaining to area-based development and the other on their plans for pan-city development.
Bangalore to try again
- Bengaluru, which missed out in the second round of the Smart City challenge due to lack of proper consultation while preparing an action plan for improving the city’s infrastructure, will be trying its luck again in the third round of the initiative, the process for which is scheduled to commence in January.
DH News Service
Mangaluru to lauch app
- Redevelopment of 1,628 acres of Hampankatta-Old Port-Bunder-River front area To launch “One touch Mangaluru” app to provide city with 24×7 municipal services, security, transport operations Aquatic node: Boosting fishing, trade, recreation and transport connectivity besides beach development
- Strengthening multi-modal transport (from airport to railway station)
- Putting in place Non-Motorised Transport policy in non-vehicular zones
- Achieving ‘sense of space’ by developing public spaces and parks
- Introducing GPS, GIS for improving efficiency in source segregation of garbage
- Development of land stretches along the River Tunga passing through Shivamogga city (275 acres)
- Putting in place an Integrated Traffic and Transportation System
- Intelligence LED street lighting and surveillance
- Decongest city centre by expanding CBD around Tumakuru Amanikere lake
- CCTV camera surveillance across the city
- To set up integrated city management controlcentre to operate services like transport, water andenergy supply and emergency response
Pradhana Manthri Gram Sadak yojana (PMGSY) PMGSY was launched in the State during December 2000 with the objective of providing rural connectivity through all weather roads to the habitations having a population of 500 and above. Under ...READ MORE
Scientific name Falco amurensis Conservation status IUCN- Least Concern Conservation efforts in Nagaland, India Introduction Amur Falcon is a small raptor of the falcon family.Its a small, slender, pigeon-sized bird of prey, and is noteworthy for undertaking ...READ MORE
Researchers have identified a brain region that links anxious temperament to low social status. In the study, researchers performed a series of experiments on rats to identify the brain areas involved ...READ MORE
What is this RLV-TD? Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstration Program or RLV-TD is a series of technology demonstration missions that have been considered as a first step towards realizing a Two Stage ...READ MORE
Polyhouse farming/ shelter farming is an alternative new technique in agriculture gaining foothold in rural India. In Karnataka Polyhouse farming a part of Krishi bhagya programme of GOK It reduces dependency on rainfall and ...READ MORE
What causes pilot whales to get disoriented? Pilot whales are highly sensitive to noise pollution, caused by man-made sounds that interfere with echolocation. This makes them susceptible to disorientation from a ...READ MORE
A plot of land for India to build its first naval base in the Indian Ocean region has been allocated by the Seychelles government in the Assumption Island. Its is a joint ...READ MORE
Inflow in the Netravathi to the Thumbe vented dam, which supplies drinking water to the city, has dropped by 50% in a month. It might force the Mangaluru City Corporation to ...READ MORE
The Legislative Assembly and the Legislative Council secretariats are finding it difficult to maintain records of speeches and statements made by members on the floor of the Houses. With members of ...READ MORE
Rural Development-Rural Roads InfrastructurePradhana Manthri Gram Sadak Yojana
Anxiety is related to social status
REUSABLE LAUNCH VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATOR PROGRAM (RLV –
Poly house farming
Beaching of whales
India’s naval base in Seychelles
Netravathi River: Inflow Drop at Thumbe Dam by
State to digitise all legislature proceedings
FRP for sugarcane farmers