Why In News: The tiger conservation programme of Bhadra National Park has got a shot in the arm with the Central government giving its nod for a Rs 9-crore action plan to take the project forward.
For KPSC/KAS exams important points to remembered from this article
- Bhadra National park- location
- What was it called earlier?
- Flora and fauna in the park
- What is Mstrips
- While the fund is awaited, it has been planned to strengthen anti-poaching camps, modernise facilities for effective watch and ward, adopt fire prevention methods, among others, under the action plan submitted to the Centre
- The Centre provides most of the funds for conservation of tigers in the country, following the recommendation of National Tiger Conservation Authority.
- Last year, Bhadra project was sanctioned Rs 5 crore. The grant was spent on daily wages of forest watchers, maintenance and setting up of three new anti-poaching camps, drives to prevent forest fires and improvement of animal habitats.
- The park spread across 500 sq km, has an estimated 30 tigers. Taking this into cognisance, 36 anti-poaching camps were set up in the first phase and three more camps were added last year, taking the total to 39 camps
- Each camp comprises a team of four forest watchers and two permanent guards, equipped with arms, GPS device, smartphone and walkie-talkies. They are entrusted with the task of round the clock vigil.
- Six such camps are set up near Bhadra backwaters to keep a vigil against timber smuggling and poachers sneaking into the forest using coracles.
- To monitor the activities of anti-poaching camp personnel, a dedicated system called ‘monitory system for tiger intensive poaching and ecological systems (Mstrips) has been in place since 2012.
- With this Bhadra has the credit of becoming one among seven national parks in the country to be equipped with such a system. The activities are monitored from a dedicated control room.
- The successful rehabilitation of tribals living in the villages inside the forest is another reason that has come in handy in protecting the big cats. As many as 736 families had been identified during 2001-02, with 436 among them being rehabilitated under the tiger project.
- It is also considered one of the successful rehabilitation programmes in the country.
- Barring the death of a tiger in territorial fight, there are no reports of tiger deaths due to natural or unnatural reasons till date. Wild gaurs were on the verge of extinction 20 years ago, but now, their numbers are on the rise.
- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area and a Project Tiger, tiger reserve located 38 km (24 mi). Northwest of Chikkamagaluru town in Karnataka
- One of the most fascinating sanctuaries it is surrounded by Baba Budan Giri range of hills. The 493 square kilometers jungles shelter some exquisite flora and fauna.
- In 1951, the Government of Mysore had declared this area as Jagara Valley Wildlife sanctuary. And in 1974, In 1974, it was reconstituted as the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary and was brought under Project Tiger in 1998
- The sanctuary gets its name from the Bhadra River, which flows through reserve. It’s tributaries also feed this reserve. A dam has been built on the Bhadra near Lakkavalli.
- Water-based adventures, trekking, island camping, bird watching and rock climbing are the added attraction along with the wildlife viewing on jeeps.
- The vegetation is predominantly of Tropical moist mixed deciduous forest, tropical dry deciduous forest, semi-evergreen forest.
- The terrain is mostly covered with 120 species of flora. Main species are Teak, rosewood, mathi, honne, nandi, tadasalu and kinda.
- Inside the sanctuary, a big teak tree aged about 300 years, known as the Jagara Giant, whose girth is a whopping 5.21m, is one of the attractions of the sanctuary.
- The ravines of this sanctuary are home to a large variety of fauna. The southern part of the sanctuary is rich in butterflies and reptiles. Besides 28-30 Tigesr, the great Indian Gaur,Wild Boar, Wild Dog, Barking Deer, Sloth Bear, Giant Indian Squirrel, Flying fox, Mongoose, Elephant, Panther, Babbler, Barbet all have made their home in the forests of the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Among 200 species birds, one can spot the Black winged kite, Malabar whistling thrush, Great horned owl, Great pied hornbill, Indian tree pie, Quaker babbler, Yellow bulbul, King vulture, Black-naped blue flycatcher and the open billed stork.
- There are plenty of butterflies. Yam fly, Baronet, Crimson rose, Southern birdwing, Tailed jay, Great orange tip, Bamboo tree brown and Blue pansy have all made their home here.
- The reptile species consists of Flying snake, Rock python, Marsh Crocodiles, Bronze backed tree snake, Common garden lizard and Monitor lizard, Atlas moth and the Indian pond turtle.
ಎಲೆಕ್ಷ ನ್ ಇನ್ಫೋ- ಬಿ ಫಾರಂಗೆ ಯಾಕಿಷ್ಟು ಮಹತ್ವ? ಪಕ್ಷ ಗಳು ತಮ್ಮ ಅಭ್ಯರ್ಥಿಗಳನ್ನು ಅಂತಿಮಗೊಳಿಸಿದ ಬಳಿಕ ವ್ಯಾಪಕವಾಗಿ ಕೇಳಿ ಬರುವ ಪದವೇ ಬಿ -ಫಾರಂ. ಯಾವುದೇ ಅಭ್ಯರ್ಥಿ ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಪಕ್ಷ ದ ಅಧಿಕೃತ ಅಭ್ಯರ್ಥಿ ಎಂದು ಗುರುತಿಸಲು ಇದು ಮಹತ್ವದ ಪಾತ್ರ ...READ MORE
Ganga Task Force deployed Ganga Gram Yojana launched As a major initiative towards fast track implementation of Namami Gange Programme the first company of Ganga Task force Battalion was deployed at ...READ MORE
Why in News: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Vientiane, Laos on Wednesday to attend two important meetings – the 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia forum. Here is what you ...READ MORE
Aadhaar Bill Finance Minister Arun Jaitley introduced the Aadhaar Bill, 2016, in the Lok Sabha. Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2016 The Bill provides statutory backing ...READ MORE
ಫ್ಯೂಚರ್ ಟ್ರೇಡಿಂಗ್ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಪೆಟ್ರೋಲ್ ಹಾಗೂ ಡೀಸೆಲನ್ನು ಫ್ಯೂಚರ್ ಟ್ರೇಡಿಂಗ್ ವ್ಯಾಪ್ತಿಗೆ ತರಲು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದೆ. ಹಿನ್ನಲೆ: ಪೆಟ್ರೋಲ್, ಡೀಸೆಲ್ ಬೆಲೆ ದಿನೇದಿನೆ ಏರುತ್ತಿರುವ ಕಾರಣ ಪೆಟ್ರೋಲಿಯಂ ಕಂಪನಿಗಳ ಹಿತ ಕಾಯುವುದರ ಜತೆಗೆ ಜನರಿಗೂ ಕೊಂಚ ನಿಟ್ಟುಸಿರು ಬಿಡುವಂತಹ ಈ ಪ್ರಸ್ತಾವನೆಯನ್ನು ...READ MORE
ಅಸ್ಟ್ರೋಸ್ಯಾಟ್ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಇಸ್ರೋದ ಬಾಹ್ಯಾಕಾಶ ವೀಕ್ಷಣಾ ಉಪಗ್ರಹ ಆಸ್ಟ್ರೋಸ್ಯಾಟ್ ಭೂಮಿಯಿಂದ 800 ದಶಲಕ್ಷ ಜ್ಯೋತಿರ್ವರ್ಷಗಳಷ್ಟು ದೂರದಲ್ಲಿರುವ ಗ್ಯಾಲೆಕ್ಸಿಗಳ ಗುಂಪನ್ನು ಪತ್ತೆ ಹಚ್ಚಿದೆ. ಇವುಗಳಿಗೆ ಅಬೆಲ್ 2256 ಎಂದು ಹೆಸರಿಡಲಾಗಿದ್ದು, ಮೂರು ಗ್ಯಾಲೆಕ್ಸಿಗಳು ಪರಸ್ಪರ ಒಂದೊಕ್ಕೊಂದು ಹೊಂದಿಕೊಂಡಂತೆ ಇದ್ದು, ಭವಿಷ್ಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಇವುಗಳು ಸಂಪೂರ್ಣ ಒಂದಾಗಿ ...READ MORE
ವಾಣಿಜ್ಯ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ ?ಸರಕಾರಿ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಗಳ ಪ್ರಚಾರ ಹೊರತುಪಡಿಸಿ, ಇತರೆ ಎಲ್ಲ ವಾಣಿಜ್ಯ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ಪ್ರದರ್ಶನಗಳನ್ನು ಶಾಶ್ವತವಾಗಿ ನಿಷೇಧಿಸುವ ಸಂಬಂಧ ಬಿಬಿಎಂಪಿಯು ನೂತನ ಜಾಹೀರಾತು ನೀತಿ ಮತ್ತು ಬೈಲಾ ಸಿದ್ಧಪಡಿಸಿದೆ. ಇದು ಒಂದೆರಡು ತಿಂಗಳಲ್ಲೇ ಜಾರಿಗೆ ಬರಲಿದೆ. ಅಂಗಡಿ-ಮುಂಗಟ್ಟುಗಳ ನಾಮಫಲಕಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಉತ್ಪನ್ನಗಳ ...READ MORE
The Centrally-appointed Forest Advisory Committee (FAC) has pulled up the State government for ‘converting’ a reserve forest to gomala land in Belagavi. The recommendations by the 7-member FAC, which comprises officials ...READ MORE
Centre amends rules for minorities from three nations Topic: Polity and Governance IN NEWS: The Union Home Ministry has notified amendments to the Citizenship Rules, 2009, to include a separate column in ...READ MORE
Cabinet to decide on metro rail connectivity to airport The State government has decided to place the issue of connecting the metro rail to Kempegowda International Airport before the Cabinet in ...READ MORE
“20th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
Implementation Of Namami Gange programme
The 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia
Aadhar Bill 2016
“30th ಮೇ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
4th July ಜುಲೈ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ
“29th ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
State seeks diversion of Bhutaramanahatti Reserve Forest land,
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 10th December
Karnataka Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 27th