What should you focus on?
- Name of the scheme
- Salient features
- Any new changes to the existing scheme
- For mains: Its challenges and benifits
One more kg of free rice for poor in state
- The state government plans to distribute an additional one kilogram of free rice and one kilogram of tur dal at concessional rates to ‘below poverty line’ (BPL) cardholders.
- Presently, the government is providing five kg of food grains per person free of cost under the Anna Bhagya scheme. This includes three kg of rice and two kg of wheat/ ragi/jowar.
- Karnataka is also bringing in a protein component under the public distribution system scheme for the first time by introducing tur dal.
- Tur dal would be sold at a subsidised rate of Rs 30 a kg.
- Supplying free rice would cost the exchequer around Rs 1,450 crore annually.
- With the introduction of the coupon system and Aadhaar seeding, the government will save nearly 40,000 metric tonnes of rice per month.
- By subsidising tur dal, the government will incur an expenditure of Rs 360 crore annually. The decision to distribute more rice and sell subsidised tur dal follows demands made by BPL families
NASA has started a new programme for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) — comets and asteroids that pass by the Earth’s orbit — to ward off any potential impact ...READ MORE
Piped natural gas and compressed natural gas will soon be available in Tumakuru, Belagavi and Dharwad districts. Work on the City Gas Distribution (CGD) project has already begun in these districts. Petroleum ...READ MORE
Nine biomethanisation plants commissioned in 2014 were shut down by the first week of January after a tussle between the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike and the contractor. The biomethanisation plant in ...READ MORE
Kempe Gowda Jayanti fete put off Following the confusion over the date of birth of Nadaprabhu Kempe Gowda, the founder of Bengaluru, the State government has called off the Kempe Gowda ...READ MORE
Polyhouse farming/ shelter farming is an alternative new technique in agriculture gaining foothold in rural India. In Karnataka Polyhouse farming a part of Krishi bhagya programme of GOK It reduces dependency on rainfall and ...READ MORE
Why in News: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Vientiane, Laos on Wednesday to attend two important meetings – the 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia forum. Here is what you ...READ MORE
The first unit of the Yeramarus Thermal Power Station (YTPS) has successfully completed the trial run by generating power continuously for 72 hours. The first generating unit of the newly set ...READ MORE
Construction of individual household toilets for families in the rural areas who do not have toilets. To improve the standard of living of the rural people and reformation in the health ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Govt deposits input subsidy into drought-hit farmers' accounts The government on 14th March took measures to deposit Rs 671 crore to bank accounts of 9.68 lakh drought-hit farmers as input subsidy ...READ MORE
Padma Awards are the highest civilian Awards of the country conferred in three categories Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. This year, President of India Pranab Mukherjee approved conferment of ...READ MORE
New NASA programme to protect Earth from asteroids,
Tumakuru, Belagavi & Dharwad districts to soon get
Clash between BBMP and contractor leads to closure
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Poly house farming
The 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia
Yermarus Thermal Power Station first unit fit for
Rural Development- Objectives of Swachha Bharat
Karnataka: Today’s Current Affairs – 15th March 2017
Padma Awards: Seven Padma awardees from Karnataka –