- To boost electronic manufacturing in the country, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved incentives to the tune of Rs 10,000 crore for investors by amending the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS) scheme.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for amendment in the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS) to further incentivize investments in Electronic Sector and moving towards the goal of ‘ Net Zero imports’ in electronics by 2020.
- The previous amendment in MSIPS in August 2015 had extended the scheme till July 27, 2020. However, the government decided to cut down the application window to December 2018, to attract serious players and expedite projects, said an official from the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- The Cabinet, however, has decided to review the decision on further financial commitments in case the incentive commitment of Rs 10,000 crore is reached.
The salient features of the amendment are:
- The applications will be received under the scheme upto 31st December 2018 or till such time that an incentive commitment of Rs 10,000 crore is reached, whichever is earlier. In case the incentive commitment of Rs 10,000 crore is reached, a review will be held to decide further financial commitments.
- For new approvals, the incentive under the scheme will be available from the date of approval of a project and not from the date of receipt of application.
- The incentives will be available for investments made within 5 years from the date of approval of the project.
- Approvals will normally be accorded to eligible applications within 120 days of submission of the complete application.
- A unit receiving incentives under the scheme, will provide an undertaking to remain in commercial production for a period of at least 3 years.
- The Appraisal Committee recommending approval of project will be chaired by Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and IT.
- A separate Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary and comprising of CEO, NITI Aayog, Secretary Expenditure and Secretary, MeitY will be set up in respect of mega projects, envisaging more than Rs. 6850 crore (approx. USD 1 Billion) investments.
- The Cabinet had, in July, 2012 approved the M-SIPS to provide a special incentive package to promote large scale manufacturing in the Electronic System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) sector.
- The scheme provides subsidy for capital expenditure – 20% for investments in Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and 25% in non-SEZs. The Scheme was amended in August, 2015 for scope enhancement and simplification of procedure.
- The Scheme has attracted investments in the ESDM sector to the tune of Rs. 1,26,838 crore, of which investments of around Rs. 17,997 crore have been approved by the MeitY.
- The M-SIPS has been able to create positive impact on investment in electronics sector.
NASA has started a new programme for detecting and tracking near-Earth objects (NEOs) — comets and asteroids that pass by the Earth’s orbit — to ward off any potential impact ...READ MORE
Metro signage: Union Minister backs tri-language policy In the backdrop of protests to remove Hindi signage from Namma Metro stations, Union Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda on 6th July expressed support for the ...READ MORE
The Cabinet approved Rs. 2,000 crore for the rehabilitation of Kashmiris who moved to different parts of India in the early 1990s and began to be recognised as migrants. It will ...READ MORE
The Aadhaar enrolment in Karnataka reached a milestone on 15th Feb as it crossed the six-crore mark, after over six-and-a-half years after the exercise began. The registration in the State now ...READ MORE
Why In News: The tiger conservation programme of Bhadra National Park has got a shot in the arm with the Central government giving its nod for a Rs 9-crore action ...READ MORE
Karnataka Govt: Over-exploitation pushed down water table in 143 taluks On 22nd March, the government presented a grim picture of the water situation. Groundwater levels in 143 of the total 176 ...READ MORE
Govt to ensure private firms enforce retirement age rule The labour department will conduct inspections to ensure that employers implement the state government’s decision to enhance the retirement age of employees ...READ MORE
Bengaluru to get 7 Bescom model sub-divisions by 2018 A reliable power supply with almost no fluctuation or interruption in supply, an upgrade to smart meters, better customer service, and increased ...READ MORE
What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme How - Who is eligible - Who is not eligible Issue What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme A limited-period Compliance Window to declare undisclosed income or ...READ MORE
New NASA programme to protect Earth from asteroids,
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Economic package for Kashmiri migrants’ rehabilitation
Karnataka: Aadhaar enrolment crosses six-crore mark
NammaKPSC Classroom: KAS 2016-17 challengers- All About Bhadra
KARNATAKA – CURRENT AFFAIRS – KAS / KPSC
Karnataka State Updates for KAS/KPSC Exams – 26th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
New scheme to tackle black money menace- Income
Fishery Friends- Karnataka