- To boost electronic manufacturing in the country, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved incentives to the tune of Rs 10,000 crore for investors by amending the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS) scheme.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for amendment in the Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS) to further incentivize investments in Electronic Sector and moving towards the goal of ‘ Net Zero imports’ in electronics by 2020.
- The previous amendment in MSIPS in August 2015 had extended the scheme till July 27, 2020. However, the government decided to cut down the application window to December 2018, to attract serious players and expedite projects, said an official from the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- The Cabinet, however, has decided to review the decision on further financial commitments in case the incentive commitment of Rs 10,000 crore is reached.
The salient features of the amendment are:
- The applications will be received under the scheme upto 31st December 2018 or till such time that an incentive commitment of Rs 10,000 crore is reached, whichever is earlier. In case the incentive commitment of Rs 10,000 crore is reached, a review will be held to decide further financial commitments.
- For new approvals, the incentive under the scheme will be available from the date of approval of a project and not from the date of receipt of application.
- The incentives will be available for investments made within 5 years from the date of approval of the project.
- Approvals will normally be accorded to eligible applications within 120 days of submission of the complete application.
- A unit receiving incentives under the scheme, will provide an undertaking to remain in commercial production for a period of at least 3 years.
- The Appraisal Committee recommending approval of project will be chaired by Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and IT.
- A separate Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary and comprising of CEO, NITI Aayog, Secretary Expenditure and Secretary, MeitY will be set up in respect of mega projects, envisaging more than Rs. 6850 crore (approx. USD 1 Billion) investments.
- The Cabinet had, in July, 2012 approved the M-SIPS to provide a special incentive package to promote large scale manufacturing in the Electronic System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) sector.
- The scheme provides subsidy for capital expenditure – 20% for investments in Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and 25% in non-SEZs. The Scheme was amended in August, 2015 for scope enhancement and simplification of procedure.
- The Scheme has attracted investments in the ESDM sector to the tune of Rs. 1,26,838 crore, of which investments of around Rs. 17,997 crore have been approved by the MeitY.
- The M-SIPS has been able to create positive impact on investment in electronics sector.
What in News: Special package for polyhouse farming Agriculture Minister C. Krishna Byregowda has said a special package will be formulated to provide loans at lower rate of interest to construct polyhouses ...READ MORE
In order to ensure that there is no shortage of drugs in State-run health centres and that procurement is directly proportionate to requirement, the Department of Health and Family Welfare ...READ MORE
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report is titled “Biodegradable Plastics and Marine Litter: Misconceptions, Concerns and Impacts on Marine Environments” Toys, athletic goods, and household goods sectors used the largest amount ...READ MORE
Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board is an autonomous body formed by the State legislature under Bengaluru Water supply and Sewerage Board Act on 10-09-1964 for Water Supply & Sewage ...READ MORE
The number of women in the State police force is not enough to deal with crimes against women, who constitute about 50% of the total population, the Karnataka High Court ...READ MORE
2,500 ornamental fish traded globally Globally, more than 2,500 species of ornamental fish are traded, but only 30-35 species of freshwater fish dominate the market. More than 90 % of freshwater fish ...READ MORE
Piped natural gas and compressed natural gas will soon be available in Tumakuru, Belagavi and Dharwad districts. Work on the City Gas Distribution (CGD) project has already begun in these districts. Petroleum ...READ MORE
ವಾಹನದಟ್ಟಣೆ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ನಂ.2 ಸಂಚಾರ ದಟ್ಟಣೆ ಸಮಸ್ಯೆಯಿಂದಾಗಿ ಇಡೀ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರಕ್ಕೆ ವಾರ್ಷಿಕ 1.5 ಲಕ್ಷ ಕೋಟಿ ರೂ. ನಷ್ಟವಾಗುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂಬುದು ಇತ್ತಿಚಿನ ಅಧ್ಯಯನ ವರದಿ ತಿಳಿಸಿದೆ. ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ಸೇರಿ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರದ ನಾಲ್ಕು ಪ್ರಮುಖ ನಗರಗಳಾದ ದೆಹಲಿ, ಮುಂಬೈ ಮತ್ತು ಕೋಲ್ಕತದಲ್ಲಿ ನಡೆಸಲಾದ ಅಧ್ಯಯನದಿಂದ ಈ ...READ MORE
The union government approved the hybrid annuity model for building national highways, paving the way for construction of 28 projects worth Rs. 36,000 crore this fiscal year. The move will speed ...READ MORE
What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme How - Who is eligible - Who is not eligible Issue What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme A limited-period Compliance Window to declare undisclosed income or ...READ MORE
Government Programme Made easy: Karnataka Polyhouse farming
New Software to Track Supply – Demand of
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report on plastics
Karnataka Economy: Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board
Insufficient women in police force – High Court
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Tumakuru, Belagavi & Dharwad districts to soon get
“27th ಏಪ್ರಿಲ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
All you need to know about HYBRID ANNUITY
New scheme to tackle black money menace- Income