Report on promotions for SC/ST communities accepted
- The State Cabinet on 17th May accepted a government committee report on a case related to the Supreme Court quashing of reservation for SC and ST community members in promotion in government service.
- The committee, headed by an Additional Chief Secretary, was asked to compile data on the extent of backwardness among SC/ST communities and the inadequacy of their representation in various departments.
- The report will be used to strengthen the argument in the Supreme Court defending the reservation,
- The government has filed a review petition in the apex court against the order striking down the promotions awarded for employees from SC/ST communities since 1978.
Revised DRIP cost
- The Cabinet also approved the revised estimated cost of Rs. 581 crore for the World Bank-aided Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP). The earlier estimate was Rs. 276 crore.
- Under the project, repair and rehabilitation work to improve dam safety is being undertaken.
- The dams that will be strengthened are KRS, Narayanapura, Almatti, Hidkal, Malaprabha, Karanja, Amarja, Lower Mullamari, Bhadra, Tungabhadra, Hemavathy, Hagaribommanahalli, Upper Mullamari, Lower Mullamari, Hattikuni, Vanivilas Sagar, Harangi and Kabini.
Houses built on 30×40 sq.ft sites in urban areas to be regularised
- The State Cabinet on 17th May approved regularisation of houses built on 30×40 sq.ft sites in urban areas.
- This is applicable to sites located within 18 km of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) limits and within 10 km of the Belagavi, Kalaburagi, Hubballi-Dharwad, Mangaluru, and Mysuru city corporation limits.
- It is also applicable to dwellings within a radius of 5 km, 10 km and 3 km of all city municipalities, town municipal councils and town panchayats, respectively.
- Physically-challenged, people from Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe communities, and ex-servicemen were eligible to regularise their sites by paying a penalty of Rs. 5,000.
- Those from General category will need to pay Rs. 10,000 for 30×40 sites
- The State legislature had passed the Karnataka Revenue (Second Amendment) Bill, 2017 to amend section 94CC of the Karnataka Land Revenue Act, 1964 for regularisation of houses built on 30×40 feet sites.
- Meanwhile, the authorities have decided to outsource construction of four lakh houses to a private agency this year.
- This is owing to staff shortage in the Housing Department. The agency will be hired for the next three years
- The Cabinet also approved new cadre and recruitment rules for high school teachers till 2020 on merit-cum-reservation basis.
- Teachers will be recruited directly on the basis of marks. There will be no written test or interview.
- Tenders amounting Rs. 138.69 crore were approved for developing a new campus of the University of Agricultural Sciences, Shivamogga. The 600-acre campus will be developed in two years
Midday meal a help to 10,935 children during vacations
- The midday meal provided by the State government in government and aided schools during summer vacation as per Supreme Court orders has proved useful for children in drought-affected taluks of the district.
- It has played a crucial role in avoiding migration of children and their families in search of a livelihood.
- The State government issued a circular on March 7 instructing all the authorities concerned to provide midday meal to children during summer vacation from April 11 to May 28 in order to ensure nutritious food to them.
- The Education Department had made all necessary preparations from the beginning by deputing necessary staff and had made arrangements for payment of their wages.
- Since April 11, midday meal is being provided at 1,894 government and aided schools with the help of 1,774 teachers and 2,113 cooking staff in all six taluks of the district.
- A total of 10,935 children are getting the benefit of the scheme in the district, including 2,163 children in Chitradurga taluk, 3,294 in Challakere taluk, 1,266 in Hiriyur taluk, 740 in Holalkere taluk, 871 children in Hosadurga taluk, and 2,601 children in Molkalmuru taluk.
- A majority of parents in Molkalmuru and other taluks used to leave their children with their grandparents and migrate to other places in search of a livelihood and the children used to suffer owing to improper food.
- The midday meal at more than 206 centres across the district has helped them to spend most of their time in school.
- In all the 206 centres, including 43 centres in Chitradurga, 62 in Challakere, 26 in Hiriyur, 16 in Holalkere, 18 in Hosadurga, and 41 centres in Molkalmuru taluks, the teachers has indulged students in different activities like paper-cutting, drawing, solving simple mathematics sums, and other activities to improve their skills, sources added.
Scarcity of water
- Since some of the anganwadi centres in Janukonda, Devareddyhalli, Byadreddyhalli and Nannival were facing acute shortage of drinking water, the authorities concerned have taken steps to ensure supply of water to these villages through tankers for cooking midday meal and drinking purposes
35 writers to get Karnataka Bala Vikas Academy awards
- The Karnataka Bala Vikas Academy State-level awards for children’s literature for 2011 to 2015 will be presented to 35 writers including Na D’Souza, Roopa Hassan and others.
- Chairman of Karnataka Bala Vikas Academy (KBA) Vedavyas Koulagi told presspersons here on Wednesday that due to unavoidable circumstances the awards could not be presented on a yearly basis and the same would be presented by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah in a function to be held on June 3 at KBA auditorium at Lakamanahalli in Dharwad.
- He said that every year seven persons are chosen by the KBA for their contribution to children’s literature, theatre, painting and art and related fields.
- All 35 persons who were chosen for the award but did not receive it would be honoured now by the Chief Minister.
- Minister for Kannada and Culture Umashree, Labour Minister Santosh would participate in the function to be presided over by Minister for Mines and Geology Vinay Kulkarni, he said.
- Mr. Koulagi said that in addition to these awards the ‘Chinnara Chandira’ book awards will be conferred on writers Metikar Hiriyanna, B.S. Jagapur, Ra Yellangal, Narayan Babanagar, Jayram P., Vaidehi, T. Govindraj, Malali Vasanathkumar, Sunanda Kadame and Sampatur Vishwanath.
- 2011-12: Eshwar Kammar, Na D’Souza, Chandrakanth Karadalli, Pinjar Abdulsab, Roopa Hassan, Gadag Veereshwar Punyashrama, and C.R. Chandrashekar.
- 2012-13: Channabasappa Hosmani, Kanchyani Sharanappa, Kavita Krishna, Jagguchandra Kudla, Sharanu Chetti, J.S. Jaydev and Shivanand Kelur.
- 2013-14: Gangadhar Nandi, Ullasanna, Hanumantharao Pujar, Halkurki Shivashankar, V.C. Airsang, Bairohalli Krishna Trust School and Pandit Munji.
- 2014-15: M.D. Gogeri, Jayawanth Kadevar, Varada Srinivas, Rajini Garud, Shankarayya Ghanti, Premashrama Charitable trust and Dr Anand Pandurangi.
- 2015-16: Amruteshwar Tandar, M.M. Sangannavar, Ningu Solagi, Basuma Kodagu, Nagaratna Hadagali, M. Sriramreddy and Deepa Bhat.
BBMP declares all wards as ‘Open Defecation Free’ The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) has issued a public notice declaring areas under its jurisdiction as ‘Open Defecation Free’. The notice has ...READ MORE
Drop in married women using modern family planning methods Karnataka has recorded a decline in use of modern family planning methods by married women, with just over 50 per cent of ...READ MORE
ರಾಜ್ಯ ಯೋಜನಾ ಆಯೋಗ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಇನ್ಫೋಸಿಸ್ ಸಹ ಸಂಸ್ಥಾಪಕ ಎನ್.ಆರ್. ನಾರಾಯಣ ಮೂರ್ತಿ ಅವರನ್ನು ರಾಜ್ಯ ಯೋಜನಾ ಆಯೋಗದ ಮುಖ್ಯಸ್ಥರನ್ನಾಗಿ ನೇಮಕ ಮಾಡಲು ಮುಖ್ಯಮಂತ್ರಿ ಎಚ್.ಡಿ ಕುಮಾರಸ್ವಾಮಿ ನಿರ್ಧರಿಸಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ರಾಜ್ಯ ಯೋಜನಾ ಮಂಡಳಿಗೆ ಮುಖ್ಯಮಂತ್ರಿ ಅಧ್ಯಕ್ಷರಾಗಿರುತ್ತಾರೆ. ರಾಜ್ಯ ಯೋಜನಾ ಆಯೋಗದ ಕಾರ್ಯಗಳು ಸಂಪನ್ಮೂಲಗಳ ಮೌಲ್ಯಮಾಪನ ಮತ್ತು ...READ MORE
‘ಕಲ್ಯಾಣ ಕೇಂದ್ರ’ ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟರ ದುಃಖ -ದುಮ್ಮಾನಗಳಿಗೆ ದನಿಯಾಗಬಲ್ಲ 24/7 ಮಾದರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾರ್ಯಾಚರಿಸುವ ಸಹಾಯವಾಣಿಗೆ ಸಮಾಜ ಕಲ್ಯಾಣ ಇಲಾಖೆ ಚಾಲನೆ ನೀಡಿದೆ. ನಗರದ ಯವನಿಕ ಆವರಣದಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ಥಾಪಿಸಿರುವ ‘ಕಲ್ಯಾಣ ಕೇಂದ್ರ’ ಸಹಾಯವಾಣಿಯನ್ನು ಗೃಹ ಸಚಿವ ಡಾ.ಜಿ.ಪರಮೇಶ್ವರ ಹಾಗೂ ಸಮಾಜ ಕಲ್ಯಾಣ ಸಚಿವ ...READ MORE
The Surya Kiran series of military exercises are being conducted annually, alternatively in India and Nepal. Surya Kiran series of military exercises with Nepal is largest in terms of troop’s ...READ MORE
371ಜೆ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ?ಸಂವಿಧಾನದ ಕಲಂ 371ಜೆ ಅಡಿ ಹೈದರಾಬಾದ್-ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಪ್ರದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ನೀಡಿರುವ ಮೀಸಲನ್ನು, ಅದೇ ಪ್ರದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ಸೀಮಿತಗೊಳಿಸುವುದು ಕಾರ್ಯಸಾಧುವಲ್ಲ ಎಂದು ಹೈಕೋರ್ಟ್ ಅಭಿಪ್ರಾಯಪಟ್ಟಿದೆ. ಹೈ-ಕ ಹೊರತುಪಡಿಸಿ ಉಳಿದ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಹೈ-ಕ ಭಾಗದವರಿಗೆ ಶೇ.8ರಷ್ಟು ಹುದ್ದೆ ಮೀಸಲಿಟ್ಟಿರುವ ನಿಯಮವನ್ನು ಪ್ರಶ್ನಿಸಿ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ವಿಧಾನಸಭೆ ಸಚಿವಾಲಯದ ಹಿರಿಯ ...READ MORE
Rural Energy Programmes National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP), Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy -2009 and Soura Belaku are the three programmes implemented under Rural Energy sector. National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP) Biogas is a clean, ...READ MORE
Researchers have identified a brain region that links anxious temperament to low social status. In the study, researchers performed a series of experiments on rats to identify the brain areas involved ...READ MORE
Atal Tinkering Lab opened An Atal Tinkering Laboratory (ATL) was opened at a private school in the city on 12th Sep. B.N. Suresh, former director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, inaugurated the ...READ MORE
Govt's plan worked: Specialist doctors bid for rural service The government’s attempt to get specialist doctors to name their price to work in the villages is yielding good results. The Health department ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 1st
National Family Health Survey: Karnataka Related Data
“14th ಜೂನ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
“8th ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”
10th Indo-Nepal Joint Exercise Surya Kiran Commences
12 ಮಾರ್ಚ್ 2019 ರ ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನಗಳು
Rural Development-Rural Energy Programmes-National Biogas Manure and Management
Anxiety is related to social status
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams