- An app under the aegis of the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been developed to aid fishermen to increase their catch and reduce the cost of operations, the developers said.
- Named mKRISHI@AFisheries, it is a mobile advisory service providing information related to the sea, with the app making fishing activities less expensive and environment friendly, the developers said.
How does the app helps?
- The app provides information on Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ), sea surface temperature, weather and the presence of phytoplankton which form the food of several fish species.
- The app consolidates these information and presents advisories in local languages, with easy to use icons on Java and Android mobile phones.
- “This app also helps the fishermen to get to know the wind speed and direction, wave heights in a colour coded band helping them identify the unsafe regions in sea,” said Singh.
- Fishermen are advised to go only when the information map on the app is blue in colour and it predicts five days upfront forecast which will help even trawlers who go for multi-day fishing trips.
- It has been developed by the Mumbai Research Centre of the CMFRI and materialised by Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) and the Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) under the National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP).
- A study conducted by the CMFRI in 13 fishermen societies in Maharashtra found that the fishermen could save up to 30 per cent of fuel consumption with the help of this new app.
- The reduction of the fuel consumption has benefits in terms of environmental impact where an estimated 1.2 per cent of global oil prodiction is consumed in fisheries.
- In addition, the app, which is a result of multi-dimensional research and field work of experts from the CMFRI, INCOIS and TCS, was adjudged among the 20 best Social Innovations in the country by the Ministry of External Affairs and NITI Aayog.
- According to V.V. Singh of the CMFRIA, the information on the presence of potential fishing zone has helped fishers reduce unnecessary trips and the associated cost of diesel, ice and labour.
- “Lack of data signal availability in deep sea was a major challenge for the fishermen. However, TCS and Tata Teleservices conducted a pilot to extend the mobile signal upto 30-km in the deep sea in Raigad district of Maharashtra. This helped the fishermen in price negotiations while they were in the sea itself and the fresh catch could be directed to desired port, optimising the overall transportation”, he added.
- The app can be downloaded on compatible mobile phones from the link http://www.tcsmkrishi.com/app/mfish/
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday publicly spiked a proposal of the food and civil supplies department to provide cash coupons to BPL ration cardholders instead of food grains. Speaking after launching ...READ MORE
Former High Court judge Justice P Vishwanath Shetty was sworn in as the Karnataka Lokayukta, a year after the post fell vacant following a bribery scandal that had hit the ...READ MORE
Despite the Animal Welfare Board of India’s ‘request’ to the State government to stop Kambala for the year 2015-16 it will be held. Administrations of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi will follow ...READ MORE
There has been a rise in availability of sandalwood on private properties across Mysuru division, with more landowners coming forward to ‘declare’ and ‘sell’ the prized trees. This is the result ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Government to bring out skill policy soon The government is set to unveil the Karnataka State Skill Policy to make youth more employable and bring them into the labour force. Chief Minister ...READ MORE
The Government of Karnataka today said it welcomes Apple Inc.'s proposal to commence initial manufacturing operations in the city. "Apple’s intentions to manufacture in Bengaluru will foster cutting edge technology eco ...READ MORE
Suvarna Gramodaya Yojane has been ventured to develop vibrant village communities by adopting an intensive and integrated approach to rural development. The programme was launched on the occasion of Golden Jubilee ...READ MORE
Reforming criminals Judgement was given in a majority judgment of the five-judge Constitution Bench led by Chief Justice of India H.L. Dattu observed in the Rajiv Gandhi killers’ remission case. They noted that ...READ MORE
Deposit Contribution Works Karnataka Housing Board has undertaken deposit contribution works as per entrustment by the Government. Up to October 2015 the details of works taken and progress is as follows - 475 building projects ...READ MORE
The Vijayapura civic body will set them up at an estimated cost of Rs. 70 lakh To deal with the rising garbage issue in Vijayapura city and to reduce the transportation ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Govt to provide cash coupons instead of
Karnataka gets Lokayukta after a year – Justice
Kambala to be held in Dakshina Kannada
Karnataka: Landowners declare their sandalwood trees
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Apple may start manufacturing in Bengaluru
Rural Development-Suvarna Gramodaya Yojane-KAS/KPSC 2016
SC judgement : Remission of sentences
Urban Development – Housing Schemes
Karnataka: Five waste segregation units to be set