- An app under the aegis of the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been developed to aid fishermen to increase their catch and reduce the cost of operations, the developers said.
- Named mKRISHI@AFisheries, it is a mobile advisory service providing information related to the sea, with the app making fishing activities less expensive and environment friendly, the developers said.
How does the app helps?
- The app provides information on Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ), sea surface temperature, weather and the presence of phytoplankton which form the food of several fish species.
- The app consolidates these information and presents advisories in local languages, with easy to use icons on Java and Android mobile phones.
- “This app also helps the fishermen to get to know the wind speed and direction, wave heights in a colour coded band helping them identify the unsafe regions in sea,” said Singh.
- Fishermen are advised to go only when the information map on the app is blue in colour and it predicts five days upfront forecast which will help even trawlers who go for multi-day fishing trips.
- It has been developed by the Mumbai Research Centre of the CMFRI and materialised by Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) and the Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) under the National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP).
- A study conducted by the CMFRI in 13 fishermen societies in Maharashtra found that the fishermen could save up to 30 per cent of fuel consumption with the help of this new app.
- The reduction of the fuel consumption has benefits in terms of environmental impact where an estimated 1.2 per cent of global oil prodiction is consumed in fisheries.
- In addition, the app, which is a result of multi-dimensional research and field work of experts from the CMFRI, INCOIS and TCS, was adjudged among the 20 best Social Innovations in the country by the Ministry of External Affairs and NITI Aayog.
- According to V.V. Singh of the CMFRIA, the information on the presence of potential fishing zone has helped fishers reduce unnecessary trips and the associated cost of diesel, ice and labour.
- “Lack of data signal availability in deep sea was a major challenge for the fishermen. However, TCS and Tata Teleservices conducted a pilot to extend the mobile signal upto 30-km in the deep sea in Raigad district of Maharashtra. This helped the fishermen in price negotiations while they were in the sea itself and the fresh catch could be directed to desired port, optimising the overall transportation”, he added.
- The app can be downloaded on compatible mobile phones from the link http://www.tcsmkrishi.com/app/mfish/
Community health officers to help mitigate problem of doctors shortage Mysuru Medical College and Research Institute (MMCRI) is one among the two medical institutions in the State selected by the Ministry ...READ MORE
Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board is an autonomous body formed by the State legislature under Bengaluru Water supply and Sewerage Board Act on 10-09-1964 for Water Supply & Sewage ...READ MORE
ವಿವಿಧ ಅರಸರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಭಿನ್ನಾಭಿಪ್ರಾಯ ಮೂಡಿಸಿ ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷರು ಒಡೆದು ಆಳುವ ನೀತಿ ಅನುಸರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಆದರೆ, ಪಟೇಲ್ ಅವರು ಎಲ್ಲಾ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಭಾರತದ ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಿದರು . ಅರಸರ ಆಡಳಿತದಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಪಟೇಲರು ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಚಾತುರ್ಯ ತೋರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಚಾಣಕ್ಯನೂ ದೇಶವನ್ನು ...READ MORE
What is congenital hypothyroidism? Congenital hypothyroidism (CHT) is a condition resulting from an absent or under-developed thyroid gland (dysgenesis) or one that has developed but cannot make thyroid hormone because of ...READ MORE
MP Nalin Kumar Kateel inaugurated MRPL's Kaushal Vikas Kendra (KVK) on 12th Feb. He emphasized the need to light the lamp of prosperity and knowledge in every home and every village, ...READ MORE
More children in rural Karnataka of the ages three and four were out of school in 2016 than there were in 2014, according to the Annual Status of Education Report ...READ MORE
Why in News: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Vientiane, Laos on Wednesday to attend two important meetings – the 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia forum. Here is what you ...READ MORE
The railways have started installing point of sale (PoS) machines at as many as 73 reservation counters. The facility will also be made available at parcel counters, where payments can be ...READ MORE
Government had entrusted MCC with responsibility of issuing building plans, collecting property tax Owners of houses and sites in MUDA (Mysuru Urban Development Authority) layouts will have to pay property tax ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Economy: Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Board
‘ಒಂದೇ ಭಾರತ, ಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಭಾರತ’ ಚಾಲನೆ
Karnataka: Doctors want govt to mandate hypothyroidism test
MRPL’s Kaushal Vikas Kendra to train 60 youth
Dropout rate in rural K’taka shot up in
The 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia
Karnataka: Railways instals PoS machines at 73 reservation
Karnataka: Property owners in MUDA layouts to pay
States get more time to spend funds under