- In a significant victory, a young Indian lawyer won a hotly-contested election in the UN General Assembly for membership to the world body’s top body of legal experts, garnering the highest number of votes in the Asia-Pacific group.
- Aniruddha Rajput, 33, is among the 34 individuals elected by the General Assembly as members of the International Law Commission, the UN organ tasked with the progressive development of international law and its codification.
- Amongst the youngest to be elected to the nearly 70-year old body, Mr Rajput is India’s first time candidate to the Commission, India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin told news agency PTI.
- The five-year term of the newly elected members will commence from January 2017. The members to the Geneva-based body have been elected from five geographical groupings of African, Asia-Pacific, Eastern European, Latin American and Caribbean and Western European states.
- Aniruddha Rajput practiced in the Supreme Court for six years and was also a visiting professor for international Commercial Arbitration and International Trade Law at the Indian Law Institute for two years.
- An alumnus of London School of Economics, Rajput was appointed by the Law Commission of India to an expert group tasked with analysis of Model Bilateral Investment Treaty 2015 of India, according to his profile submitted to the UN.
- He has written several books, chapters, articles, conference papers on diverse legal subjects and his areas of expertise in international laws include Sources of International Law, International Arbitration, Law of the Sea, Use of Force, UN Law & Practice and International Trade Law (WTO Law).
- Japan’s Shinya Murase got the second highest number of votes in the Asia-Pacific group at 148, followed by Mahmoud Daifallah Hmoud of Jordan and Huikang Huang of China with 146 votes each, Korea’s Ki Gab Park with 136 votes, Ali bin Fetais Al-Marri of Qatar with 128 votes and Hong Thao Nguyen of Viet Nam with 120 votes.
- The international law commission was established by the UN General Assembly in 1947 to undertake the mandate of UN to ensure promotion and progressive development of International law and its codification.
Degradation seeing forest landscape disappear: CAG-commissioned study A staggering 3,660 sq.km. of evergreen and deciduous forests have disappeared over the past four decades, while 267 sq.km of built-up area and buildings ...READ MORE
Fire in Kalkere Range Thousands of acres of forest cover burnt down in forest fire in Bandipur tiger reserve on Saturday and a forest guard succumbed to burn injuries while preventing the flames ...READ MORE
One cannot directly go to a private hospital for treatment under a government health scheme. First need to visit a government hospital &only when doctors refer to private hospitals owing to ...READ MORE
For the first time in its history, the India Meteorological Department — best known for its monsoon forecasts — will issue a summer forecast for April, May and June Those involved ...READ MORE
In order to ensure that there is no shortage of drugs in State-run health centres and that procurement is directly proportionate to requirement, the Department of Health and Family Welfare ...READ MORE
ವಿದೇಶಿ ನೇರ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ (ಎಫ್ಡಿಐ) ನಿಯಮಗಳನ್ನು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಸಡಿಲಗೊಳಿಸಿದೆ. ರಿಯಲ್ ಎಸ್ಟೇಟ್, ರಕ್ಷಣೆ, ನಾಗರಿಕ ವಿಮಾನ ಯಾನ ಮತ್ತು ಸುದ್ದಿ ಪ್ರಸಾರ ಸೇರಿದಂತೆ 15 ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರಗಳನ್ನು ವಿದೇಶಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆಗೆ ತೆರೆದಿರಿಸಿದೆ. ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ ರಂಗದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ ಮಾಡುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಇರುವ ನಿರ್ಬಂಧಗಳನ್ನು ಸಡಿಲಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಯೋಜನೆ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳ್ಳುವ ...READ MORE
Former High Court judge Justice P Vishwanath Shetty was sworn in as the Karnataka Lokayukta, a year after the post fell vacant following a bribery scandal that had hit the ...READ MORE
Bengaluru will join Delhi in rolling out BS-6 emission norms A steady rise in air pollution has prompted Karnataka State Pollution Control Board and other stakeholders to implement Bharat Stage-6 emission ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Everything you need to know about Bandipur Forest
Health Scheme: Patients have to visit govt hospitals
Republic Day Special: Free Current Affairs Classes
In a first, IMD to bring out summer
New Software to Track Supply – Demand of
ವಿದೇಶಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ ನಿಯಮ ಸಡಿಲ
Karnataka gets Lokayukta after a year – Justice
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams- 22nd Nov