- In a significant victory, a young Indian lawyer won a hotly-contested election in the UN General Assembly for membership to the world body’s top body of legal experts, garnering the highest number of votes in the Asia-Pacific group.
- Aniruddha Rajput, 33, is among the 34 individuals elected by the General Assembly as members of the International Law Commission, the UN organ tasked with the progressive development of international law and its codification.
- Amongst the youngest to be elected to the nearly 70-year old body, Mr Rajput is India’s first time candidate to the Commission, India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin told news agency PTI.
- The five-year term of the newly elected members will commence from January 2017. The members to the Geneva-based body have been elected from five geographical groupings of African, Asia-Pacific, Eastern European, Latin American and Caribbean and Western European states.
- Aniruddha Rajput practiced in the Supreme Court for six years and was also a visiting professor for international Commercial Arbitration and International Trade Law at the Indian Law Institute for two years.
- An alumnus of London School of Economics, Rajput was appointed by the Law Commission of India to an expert group tasked with analysis of Model Bilateral Investment Treaty 2015 of India, according to his profile submitted to the UN.
- He has written several books, chapters, articles, conference papers on diverse legal subjects and his areas of expertise in international laws include Sources of International Law, International Arbitration, Law of the Sea, Use of Force, UN Law & Practice and International Trade Law (WTO Law).
- Japan’s Shinya Murase got the second highest number of votes in the Asia-Pacific group at 148, followed by Mahmoud Daifallah Hmoud of Jordan and Huikang Huang of China with 146 votes each, Korea’s Ki Gab Park with 136 votes, Ali bin Fetais Al-Marri of Qatar with 128 votes and Hong Thao Nguyen of Viet Nam with 120 votes.
- The international law commission was established by the UN General Assembly in 1947 to undertake the mandate of UN to ensure promotion and progressive development of International law and its codification.
Kawal Tiger Reserve in Andhra Pradesh has become more a safe zone for resurgent Maoists than tigers In the current phase of its resurgence, Maoist activity in the district is confined ...READ MORE
The Karnataka Land Army Corporation Limited was established as an undertaking of the Government of Karnataka in August 1974. The name of the Organization was changed from Karnataka Land Army Corporation ...READ MORE
Fifteen primary health centres (PHCs) in six districts of Karnataka are set to get eLAJ smart clinics that will be equipped with multi-parameter monitors that enable multiple diagnostic tests and ...READ MORE
More children in rural Karnataka of the ages three and four were out of school in 2016 than there were in 2014, according to the Annual Status of Education Report ...READ MORE
Why in News: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Vientiane, Laos on Wednesday to attend two important meetings – the 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia forum. Here is what you ...READ MORE
Denmark the least corrupt country, India at 76th position India has climbed nine points to rank 76th in this year’s global corruption index topped by Denmark, with watchdog Transparency International calling ...READ MORE
Cable TV Services in Urban Areas will be digital from 1st January 2016 The cable TV is one of the most popular medium of mass entertainment & education. The country has ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated First National Tribal Carnival-2016 in New Delhi on 25th Oct The tribal carnival would showcase the capabilities of the tribal communities, in the national capital. The Prime ...READ MORE
The state Cabinet on 22nd Feb decided to increase the ratio in shortlisting the number of candidates for personality test for gazetted probationers’ examination conducted by the Karnataka Public Service ...READ MORE
Kawal Tiger Reserve – adobe of maoists
Karnataka Rural Infrastructure Development Ltd & Western Ghats
Primary Health Centres (PHCs) in six districts of
Dropout rate in rural K’taka shot up in
The 14th Indo-Asean summit and the East Asia
The Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) for 2015
Cable TV digitisation
National Tribal Carnival 2016
Karnataka: KAS personality test ratio goes up, 1:5
Akrama-Sakrama: Penalty halved, deadline extended