Rural Energy Programmes
National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP), Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy -2009 and Soura Belaku are the three programmes implemented under Rural Energy sector.
National Biogas Manure and Management Programme (NBMMP)
- Biogas is a clean, non-polluting, smoke and soot-free fuel, containing methane gas produced from cattle dung, human waste and other organic matter in a biogas plant through a process called anaerobic digestion.
- The digested slurry will be good quality manure for agriculture.
- This centrally sponsored scheme implemented since 1982-83 is mainly a women oriented programme.
- The Centre has increased the subsidy rate with effect from 8th May 2014.
- The cattle population in the State can augur construction of 6.80 lakh biogas plants.
- Beneficiaries are selected by the grama panchayats.
- During 2015-16, the State provided State and Central share is Rs.1256.00 lakh.
The Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy
- The Karnataka State Bio-fuel Policy has come into force from 1st March 2009.
- Karnataka Bio-fuel Policy is implemented through Karnataka State Bio-fuel Development Board. Rs.150.00 lakh is provided for 2015-16. Rs.112.50 lakhs has been released to Karnataka State Bio-fuel Development Board for implementation of various activities.
Soura Belaku – Installation of Solar Street Lights at Grama Panchayats
- Soura Belaku programme, started during 2009-10 aims at installation of Solar Street Lights at grama panchayat level.
- The Programme is implemented in selected pilot district – one from each revenue division. The programme is implemented through E Procurement. Rs.310.00 lakh was provided during 2015-16.
Institutional support for rural energy development
Mahatma Gandhi Institute for Rural Energy and Development
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute for Rural Energy and Development (MGIRED) is a southern regional institute established with the assistance from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India.
- The Institute is a registered society set up in the year 2000, cater to the training needs of Southern States/Union Territories.
- Vision of the MGIRED is to create awareness and propagate the advanced technology in the development of the rural energy, ground water conservation, rain water harvesting and environmental protection to the rural masses.
MGIRED is committed itself to the following activities:
- Capacity Building
- Demonstration of Rural/Renewable Energy Technologies
- Demonstration of De-Centralized Rural Energy Based Industry
- Documentation and dissemination of information on Rural Energy Development/Rain Water Harvesting/Environmental protection etc
- Research on Rural Energy
- Advisory Services and Consultancy on Rural Energy, village adoption for implementing Rural Energy and related Rural Development Programme.