- The Karnataka government on Monday launched rural Wi-Fi services in 11 gram panchayats, with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah saying such a ‘digital inclusion’ will give village-level entrepreneurs ready access to online market place for their products and services.
- He also launched the “Grand Challenge Karnataka”, an initiative under the multi-sector Start-up Policy to scout for new technologies or innovations that can offer solutions to some of the prevalent problems in the state.
- At the inauguration of Bengaluru ITE.Biz 2016, an annual IT event, Siddaramaiah said with “digital inclusion becoming the most important parameter of growth and economic development”, it is the intention of the government to see that the last mile connectivity is provided in all villages.
- “For this we will be banking on the availability of National Optic Fibre Network up to the Gram Panchayat level,” he added.
- The gram panchayats benefitting from the Wi-Fi initiative include two each in Mysuru, Tumkuru, Gadag, Ballari and Kalburgi and one in Bagalkot district.
- The rural population in these gram panchayats can make use of the services by buying concessional Wi-Fi vouchers.
- The impact of digital inclusion will be manifold which would enable village-level entrepreneurs ready access to online market place and have opportunity to explore new markets for their products and services.
- The chief minister also called for gender equality, saying, “it is a fact that achieving gender equality would have large economic impact. IT sector has enabled significant number of women to join the work space, but more needs to be done.”
- Siddaramaiah said, “Grand Challenge Karnataka aims to channelise innovations for social impact and in the process support the establishment and growth of start-ups.”
- The government has approved a proposal to set up six common instrumentation centres across the state which will provide opportunity to electronic hardware startups and MSMEs to have easy access to high quality instrumentation facilities for fine-tuning their products.
- The IT and BT department is in the process of setting up a finishing school in Animation and Visual Effects in association with Industry bodies
- The government was contemplating setting up centres of excellence in aerospace, cyber security and other related areas to provide high-end skilling in areas of emerging technologies.
- Government has been augmenting industrial infrastructure in two-tier and three tier cities.
- The state also intends to support setting up of technology business incubators in the potential areas of Internet of Things, Electronics System Design and manufacturing, Robotics, 3D Printing, Nanotechnology, Medical devices, Health technology and Clean technology, in phases across the state.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are officially known as Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development They are an intergovernmental set of aspiration Goals with 169 targets. The Goals are contained in ...READ MORE
Special ballet on Gandhiji to be launched on 9th Aug A special ballet created by Rangayana Dharwad on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi will be inaugurated at ...READ MORE
In News: "A day before confidence vote, President’s Rule imposed" President’s Rule was imposed on Uttarakhand , a day before the Harish Rawat government was to face a test of strength in ...READ MORE
IRNSS is an independent regional navigation satellite system being developed by India. It is designed to provide accurate position information service to users in India as well as the region ...READ MORE
Set up maize procurement centres, govt. urged The Ballari district unit of the Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha (Puttannaiah group) has urged the State government to establish maize procurement centres for the ...READ MORE
A nationally representative study on smoking and death in India (published in 2008) found that smoking causes a large and growing number of premature deaths in the country. The study ...READ MORE
Female circumcision issue goes to Constitution Bench Why in news? The Supreme Court referred to a five-judge Constitution Bench petitions seeking a declaration that the practice of female circumcision or ‘khafz,’ prevalent ...READ MORE
The twin cities of Hubballi-Dharwad will host the State Level Olympics Games from February 3 to 10 and 275 gold, silver and bronze medals each would be awarded in as ...READ MORE
The Centre is planning to revive a cluster of gold mines at Kolar Gold Fields shut for 15 years but with an estimated $2.1 billion worth of deposits left as ...READ MORE
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Karnataka Current Affairs – 8th August 2018
All you need to know about President rule
Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 29th
Measures to curb smoking
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 25th September
Karnataka: Hubballi-Dharwad to host State Olympics Games from
Govt to consider reviving KGF that has $2
“24th ಆಗಸ್ಟ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”