Kerala students to take digital literacy to the masses
- The Kerala-wide Digital Empowerment Campaign, which seeks to bridge the digital divide and maximise the potential of ICT (Information and Communication Technology) in day-to-day life, is all set to be rolled
- Student police cadets from as many as 280 schools in all 14 districts will be enlisted for the campaign, which is expected to help 3 million people in the State.
- Equipped with tablets preloaded with special software, the students will train at least one member in each family in the catchment area of a school extending up to a radius of 3 km.
- President Pranab Mukherjee is scheduled to launch the campaign on February 27 during his visit to the State.
- The Kerala State IT Mission (KSITM), the nodal agency for the project, is readying as many as 5600 tablets to be distributed to the cadets.
- Interestingly, one can monitor the training process on real time basis using the software. A programme monitoring unit will also be set up at KSITM.
- More than 10 lakh people will be digitally empowered in the first phase of the campaign over a period of four months.
- The initiative is aimed at making them capable of using e-mail, accessing online government services, making online utility payments and bank transfers and doing online shopping.
- The training will also cover mobile services and information security. The second phase will utilise the services of both NSS volunteers and NCC cadets to reach out to more citizens.
- Taken up under the Digital India initiative, the campaign seeks to build on the achievements registered through Akshaya and IT@School projects.
- High mobile penetration, internet subscription base, optic fibre network coverage, e-governance initiatives and the rise in e-commerce activities justified a higher level of digital empowerment in Kerala.
- Assuming that 50 per cent of the State’s population in the age group of 30 to 60 years has already been digitally empowered through Akshaya and IT@School programmes, the campaign seeks to reach out to the remaining 60 lakh people.
- The pilot phase of the campaign last year had utilised student police cadets from 10 schools in Thiruvananthapuram to train 10,000 citizens.
- The President is also expected to declare Kerala a ‘Digital State’ on the strength of its digital infrastructure and e-governance initiatives
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah launched a comprehensive web-based platform showcasing the government's performance and achievements to the citizens. Developed as the Chief Minister's dash board, 'Pratibimba,' which means reflection, will serve ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Mysuru Dasara logo unveiled District incharge Minister H C Mahadevappa released the Mysuru Dasara 2017 logo at a meeting of the Dasara executive committee on 31st August. Dasara is scheduled to ...READ MORE
Kalaburagi is now free wifi connected Kalaburagi is now wi-fi connected with the installation of a new, free wi-fi hotspot, at the city's Mahanagara Palike office premises. MP Mallikarjun Kharge inaugurated the ...READ MORE
BCU to launch India's first dept of cinema studies Bengaluru Central University (BCU) is all set to launch Department of Cinema Studies (DCS) from the next academic year. There are many film ...READ MORE
Siddaramaiah, who presented the state budget proposals for 2017-18 in the Assembly on 15th March, tried to explain the financial constraints his government faces because of a sluggish economy. This has ...READ MORE
Water Programme (NRDWP): In order to meet adequate and safe drinking water supply requirements in rural areas, particularly in areas where coverage is less than 55 lpcd and in those ...READ MORE
Cauvery tribunal's term extended by six months The Centre has given a six-month extension to the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT), which is looking into the dispute between Karnataka and Tamil ...READ MORE
HC stay on Bellandur All issues from Karnataka have to be heard by the Southern Bench in Chennai as per the distribution of jurisdiction among various benches across the country under ...READ MORE
Karnataka Govt planning to hike quota ceiling to 72% Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on 26th March said that his government was exploring the possibility of increasing the reservation ceiling in education and employment ...READ MORE
Karnataka: CM launches ‘Pratibimba’ website to project achievements
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 14th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 2nd
Karnataka Budget 2017- 2018 – Highlights
Rural Development-National Rural Drinking & Desert Development Programme
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 5th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka – State Update- KAS / KPSC Exams
State to digitise all legislature proceedings