Kerala students to take digital literacy to the masses
- The Kerala-wide Digital Empowerment Campaign, which seeks to bridge the digital divide and maximise the potential of ICT (Information and Communication Technology) in day-to-day life, is all set to be rolled
- Student police cadets from as many as 280 schools in all 14 districts will be enlisted for the campaign, which is expected to help 3 million people in the State.
- Equipped with tablets preloaded with special software, the students will train at least one member in each family in the catchment area of a school extending up to a radius of 3 km.
- President Pranab Mukherjee is scheduled to launch the campaign on February 27 during his visit to the State.
- The Kerala State IT Mission (KSITM), the nodal agency for the project, is readying as many as 5600 tablets to be distributed to the cadets.
- Interestingly, one can monitor the training process on real time basis using the software. A programme monitoring unit will also be set up at KSITM.
- More than 10 lakh people will be digitally empowered in the first phase of the campaign over a period of four months.
- The initiative is aimed at making them capable of using e-mail, accessing online government services, making online utility payments and bank transfers and doing online shopping.
- The training will also cover mobile services and information security. The second phase will utilise the services of both NSS volunteers and NCC cadets to reach out to more citizens.
- Taken up under the Digital India initiative, the campaign seeks to build on the achievements registered through Akshaya and IT@School projects.
- High mobile penetration, internet subscription base, optic fibre network coverage, e-governance initiatives and the rise in e-commerce activities justified a higher level of digital empowerment in Kerala.
- Assuming that 50 per cent of the State’s population in the age group of 30 to 60 years has already been digitally empowered through Akshaya and IT@School programmes, the campaign seeks to reach out to the remaining 60 lakh people.
- The pilot phase of the campaign last year had utilised student police cadets from 10 schools in Thiruvananthapuram to train 10,000 citizens.
- The President is also expected to declare Kerala a ‘Digital State’ on the strength of its digital infrastructure and e-governance initiatives
Changing the name of the State Why in news? The West Bengal Assembly passed a resolution to change the name of the State as ‘Bangla’ in three languages — Bengali, English and ...READ MORE
KLCDA for declaring 176 ‘live’ lakes in Bengaluru as wetlands The Karnataka Lake Conservation and Development Authority (KLCDA) has sought for the declaration of 176 ‘live’ lakes in the city as ...READ MORE
Water Programme (NRDWP): In order to meet adequate and safe drinking water supply requirements in rural areas, particularly in areas where coverage is less than 55 lpcd and in those ...READ MORE
RERA Topic: Polity and Governance IN NEWS: At the first meeting of a new RERA implementation committee held, there was broad consensus that the RERA Act needed to be amended to further ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Mysuru Dasara logo unveiled District incharge Minister H C Mahadevappa released the Mysuru Dasara 2017 logo at a meeting of the Dasara executive committee on 31st August. Dasara is scheduled to ...READ MORE
UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagarik) III Topic: Government Policies IN NEWS: The Union Ministry of Civil Aviation will shortly award new regional connectivity routes under UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagarik) ...READ MORE
Govt to issue Rs 75 coin to mark 75th anniversary of Tricolour hoisting by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose In News:The Ministry of Finance has issued a notification regarding the release of ...READ MORE
ISRO & ROSCOSMOS to work together for first Indian manned mission Topic: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology IN NEWS: At end of delegation level talks between ...READ MORE
RBI eases ECB hedging norms for companies Topic: Indian Economy IN NEWS: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has eased hedging norms for companies that raise funds through external commercial borrowings (ECB), a move ...READ MORE
ಕಾಡು ಹೆಚ್ಚಳ ಸುದ್ಧಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ?ದಾವಣಗೆರೆ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಕಾಡು ಹೆಚ್ಚಳವಾಗಿದ್ದು, ಹಸಿರು ವಲಯ ವಿಸ್ತರಣೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಬಯಲು ಸೀಮೆ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳ ಪೈಕಿ ದಾವಣಗೆರೆ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆ ಮೊದಲ ಸ್ಥಾನದಲ್ಲಿದೆ. ಕೇಂದ್ರದ ಸರ್ವೆ ಆಫ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ ಕಳೆದ ತಿಂಗಳು ಬಿಡುಗಡೆ ಮಾಡಿರುವ ವರದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಈ ಬೆಳವಣಿಗೆಯನ್ನು ಉಲ್ಲೇಖಿಸಿದೆ. ಕಳೆದ ಹತ್ತು ವರ್ಷದಲ್ಲಿ ...READ MORE
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 27th July
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Rural Development-National Rural Drinking & Desert Development Programme
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 4th January
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 15th January
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams – 15th
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 8th October
National Current Affairs – UPSC/KAS Exams- 27th November
“3rd ಸೆಪ್ಟೆಂಬರ್ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”