- India and Japan today signed a landmark civil nuclear cooperation deal after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his counterpart Shinzo Abe, a move that will boost bilateral economic and security ties and facilitate US-based players to set up atomic plants in India.
- The two countries had reached a broad agreement for cooperation in civil nuclear energy sector during Abe’s visit to India in December last year, but the deal was yet to be signed as some issues were yet to be worked out.
- This is Japan’s first civilian nuclear cooperation pact with a country that has not signed the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, and paves the way for India to buy nuclear technology from Japan.
- India signed a landmark nuclear deal with the US in 2008, clearing the path for the country to source nuclear power plants and technology from international markets.
- But with Japanese companies in possession of key elements such as safety components and the construction of domes of nuclear power plants, an accord with Japan was crucial for India.
- There was political resistance in Japan the only country to suffer atomic bombings during World War II against a nuclear deal with India, particularly after the disaster at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in 2011.
- Japan is a major player in the nuclear energy market and an atomic deal with it will make it easier for US-based nuclear plant makers Westinghouse Electric Corporation and GE Energy Inc to set up atomic plants in India as both these conglomerates have Japanese investments.
- Other nations who have signed civil nuclear deal with India include the US, Russia, South Korea, Mangolia, France, Namibia, Argentina, Canada, Kazakhstan and Australia.
The centre launched the following gold schemes recently: Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS) Under the GMS, resident Indians can deposit gold at collection and purity testing centres certified by the Bureau of Indian ...READ MORE
The reality of urban governance in Karnataka and in India general, in the context of a local government, stands in contrast to the philosophy of the Constitution. The colonial authoritarian structure of city governance continues to ...READ MORE
Metro rail is a vital component of the transformation of the urban transport scenario in India. With urban population continuously growing, there is a need for green solutions. Mass Rapid Transit Systems are fast, safe and ...READ MORE
Restoration of the 80-year-old house in which Jnanpith Award winner K. Shivaram Karanth spent most of his life has begun at Balavana in Puttur, 90 km from Mangaluru. The work is ...READ MORE
From 2015-16 the Government has introduced Dr.B.R.Ambedkar Nivasa Yojane for providing houses to the house less SC/ST families. Under this scheme for 2015-16 the Government has sanctioned 1,50,000 houses, in which ...READ MORE
Ministry aims to have a new auction policy for hydrocarbon blocks ready by the end of the current financial year. Marginal field policy In the recently announced marginal field policy, the government ...READ MORE
Weather-based farm advisory system to reach taluks now The country’s flagship programme of the weather forecast-based agricultural advisory system is set to become more focussed by moving to the taluk level ...READ MORE
With the reopening of the Mysuru zoo after it was declared bird flu-free, more animals are set to join the zoo’s vast collection as part of the animal exchange programme ...READ MORE
The Dr B R Ambedkar School of Economics, modelled on the London School of Economics, will begin classes from the upcoming academic year (2017-18) at the Jnana Bharathi campus of ...READ MORE
Centre launches Gold schemes
Urban Governance & Constitution of a District Planning
Urban Development-Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL)
Karanth’s house being restored
Rural Development – Housing – Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Nivasa
New auction policy for natural gas
Weather-based farm advisory system in Karnataka
Mysuru zoo gets – ‘bird flu-free’ tag –
Cabinet okays Rs 150-cr corpus for School of
Rural Development-Self Employment Programme