- The Karnataka government is planning to introduce 100% reservation to Kannadigas in blue-collar jobs in private sector industries across the state.
- The state labour department has released the draft amendments to the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961 to this end.
- Sources said that the government has already drafted the new move and it will be placed in the Assembly after going through the legality of the amendment.
- The objections raised in the amendment will also be taken up in the assembly.
- Karnataka Labour Minister Santosh Lad said that the amendment will ensure job opportunities to the local people.
- He also said that the industry houses gets a lot of concession from the government, be it land cost, tax rebate etc and therefore they also need to encourage the local talent.
- Employers’ attitude needs to be changed. We will place it before the cabinet and I am hopeful that there will be no roadblock.”
- The department also provided 5% reservation for a disabled person who is also a Kannadiga. The IT-BT (information technology-biotechnology) vertical has been exempted as they are not covered under the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961 for a period of five years from 2014.
- If industries do not follow these new guidelines, the government will cancel all concessions given to them.
- The amendments will be implemented once the law department gives its approval the second time.
- The move is not just for manufacturing sector but also for IT and Biotech sector.
- An industry can hire an outsider if there is not Kannadiga available for the job.
- A Kannadiga according to the new draft is someone who is born in Karnataka or lived in the state for not less than 15 years and knows to read, write, speak and understand Kannada.
- Sources in the labour department said the government did not want to hamper the “bread and butter” of the state GDP with the reservation policy . “We did not want to invite a problem with the powerful IT-BT lobby at this point in time. Let’s first implement this reservation and then take on the IT-BT vertical later,” a department official said.
Kawal Tiger Reserve in Andhra Pradesh has become more a safe zone for resurgent Maoists than tigers In the current phase of its resurgence, Maoist activity in the district is confined ...READ MORE
Database soon of medicinal plants, traditional healthcare The State could soon have a modern database of local medicinal plants and knowledge pertaining to traditional healthcare practices created using Geographical Information System ...READ MORE
Third regional PPVFRA centre to begin functioning The third regional centre of Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Authority (PPVFRA), established by the Union government will commence functioning on the ...READ MORE
Introduction ∗ Cogeneration is the use of a heat engine or a power station to simultaneously generate both electricity and useful heat. ∗ Co-generation is defined as the combined generation of electric ...READ MORE
Air quality remained abysmal on Dec 1st , with four of the seven monitoring stations reporting the “severe” warning during the morning. The situation improved slightly by 7 p.m. due to ...READ MORE
Why in News: The 17th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held on 17 and 18 September in Margarita Island, northeast of Venezuela, in ...READ MORE
Siddaramaiah, who presented the state budget proposals for 2017-18 in the Assembly on 15th March, tried to explain the financial constraints his government faces because of a sluggish economy. This has ...READ MORE
Indian badminton ace Saina Nehwal notched up her first title after a career-threatening injury by claiming the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Goldwith a hard-fought victory in the summit clash on ...READ MORE
The four cities from Karnataka selected in the second round of the Smart City initiative have commenced the process of selecting project management consultants to help execute their respective action ...READ MORE
Kawal Tiger Reserve – adobe of maoists
Database soon of medicinal plants and traditional healthcare
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Poor AQI in Delhi
Explained: NAM “Non Aligned Movement”- Important for IAS/KAS
Karnataka Budget 2017- 2018 – Highlights
Sports: Saina Nehwal Lifts Malaysia Masters Grand Prix
Karnataka: Smart Cities – Process on to pick
Karnataka Draught: Krishi Mela called off