- The Karnataka government is planning to introduce 100% reservation to Kannadigas in blue-collar jobs in private sector industries across the state.
- The state labour department has released the draft amendments to the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961 to this end.
- Sources said that the government has already drafted the new move and it will be placed in the Assembly after going through the legality of the amendment.
- The objections raised in the amendment will also be taken up in the assembly.
- Karnataka Labour Minister Santosh Lad said that the amendment will ensure job opportunities to the local people.
- He also said that the industry houses gets a lot of concession from the government, be it land cost, tax rebate etc and therefore they also need to encourage the local talent.
- Employers’ attitude needs to be changed. We will place it before the cabinet and I am hopeful that there will be no roadblock.”
- The department also provided 5% reservation for a disabled person who is also a Kannadiga. The IT-BT (information technology-biotechnology) vertical has been exempted as they are not covered under the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961 for a period of five years from 2014.
- If industries do not follow these new guidelines, the government will cancel all concessions given to them.
- The amendments will be implemented once the law department gives its approval the second time.
- The move is not just for manufacturing sector but also for IT and Biotech sector.
- An industry can hire an outsider if there is not Kannadiga available for the job.
- A Kannadiga according to the new draft is someone who is born in Karnataka or lived in the state for not less than 15 years and knows to read, write, speak and understand Kannada.
- Sources in the labour department said the government did not want to hamper the “bread and butter” of the state GDP with the reservation policy . “We did not want to invite a problem with the powerful IT-BT lobby at this point in time. Let’s first implement this reservation and then take on the IT-BT vertical later,” a department official said.
Introduction - Why Important Steel is the backbone of any modern economy. The level of per capita consumption of steel is often considered an important index of the level of economic ...READ MORE
The government’s electronic intelligence monitoring system , the Central Monitoring System (CMS), will become operational by March 2016 Centralised Monitoring System (CMS) will be set up to automate the process of ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Drought hits production With major mango producing districts stricken by drought, domestic mango production, and subsequently the export of the fruit, is seeing a huge hit this year. The production of mangoes ...READ MORE
Introduction The norm for providing potable drinking water is 55 litres per capita per day (LPCD) with a provision of 3 litres for drinking, 5 litres for cooking, 15 litres for ...READ MORE
Aadhaar seeding helps in weeding out 8.5 lakh bogus ration cards in state Aadhaar seeding of ration cards has helped weed out 8.5 lakh bogus cards. The Food and Civil Supplies department ...READ MORE
The state government will buy fodder from farmers to help them in the wake of the drought, Agriculture Minister Krishna Byre Gowda said on 6th Dec A government order in this ...READ MORE
In an attempt to overcome severe power shortage faced by the state and to save power, Chief minister launched an ambitious programme of the Energy department called 'Hosa Belaku - ...READ MORE
The new rules for taxi aggregators issued by the government will mean that they will have to toe the line on passenger safety. But, for the moment, they have been given ...READ MORE
Startup India is a flagship initiative of the Government of India, intended to build a strong eco-system for nurturing innovation and Startups in the country that will drive sustainable economic growth and ...READ MORE
Ballari to play host to Janapada Rangotsava from April 21 Connoisseurs of art and music are in for an audio-visual treat at the three-day national-level Janapada Rangotsava from April 21 at ...READ MORE
Steel Sector in India
Central Monitoring System
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Rural Development – Rural Water Supply – KAS/KPSC
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 4th
Karnataka – State to buy fodder from farmers
The Karnataka On-demand Transportation Technology Aggregators Rules, 2016.
All you need to know about Startup India
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams