- The Karnataka government is planning to introduce 100% reservation to Kannadigas in blue-collar jobs in private sector industries across the state.
- The state labour department has released the draft amendments to the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961 to this end.
- Sources said that the government has already drafted the new move and it will be placed in the Assembly after going through the legality of the amendment.
- The objections raised in the amendment will also be taken up in the assembly.
- Karnataka Labour Minister Santosh Lad said that the amendment will ensure job opportunities to the local people.
- He also said that the industry houses gets a lot of concession from the government, be it land cost, tax rebate etc and therefore they also need to encourage the local talent.
- Employers’ attitude needs to be changed. We will place it before the cabinet and I am hopeful that there will be no roadblock.”
- The department also provided 5% reservation for a disabled person who is also a Kannadiga. The IT-BT (information technology-biotechnology) vertical has been exempted as they are not covered under the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules of 1961 for a period of five years from 2014.
- If industries do not follow these new guidelines, the government will cancel all concessions given to them.
- The amendments will be implemented once the law department gives its approval the second time.
- The move is not just for manufacturing sector but also for IT and Biotech sector.
- An industry can hire an outsider if there is not Kannadiga available for the job.
- A Kannadiga according to the new draft is someone who is born in Karnataka or lived in the state for not less than 15 years and knows to read, write, speak and understand Kannada.
- Sources in the labour department said the government did not want to hamper the “bread and butter” of the state GDP with the reservation policy . “We did not want to invite a problem with the powerful IT-BT lobby at this point in time. Let’s first implement this reservation and then take on the IT-BT vertical later,” a department official said.
Krishi Mela, the annual event organised by the University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru (UAS-B) at Gandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra (GKVK) has been called off this time because of extreme drought ...READ MORE
As a New Year gift, the state government has decided to promote 11,000 police personnel. At a review meeting held on Wednesday, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said this is the first time ...READ MORE
Introduction - Why Important Steel is the backbone of any modern economy. The level of per capita consumption of steel is often considered an important index of the level of economic ...READ MORE
Towards restorative criminal justice Purpose for which crminal justice was set up : securing life and property. Issues with the way criminal justice is designed and administered today No deterrance- because of the ...READ MORE
The Karnataka government on 7th April flayed the Goa tourism department's decision to evict Lambanis, a Kannada-speaking nomadic tribe, from the beaches, terming it "anti-democratic" and an "attack on the ...READ MORE
Rebooting ties with Iran Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Tehran on May 22-23 will be an important marker in New Delhi’s attempt to instill momentum in bilateral ties. India's interests in ...READ MORE
Ministry aims to have a new auction policy for hydrocarbon blocks ready by the end of the current financial year. Marginal field policy In the recently announced marginal field policy, the government ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Drought hits production With major mango producing districts stricken by drought, domestic mango production, and subsequently the export of the fruit, is seeing a huge hit this year. The production of mangoes ...READ MORE
HC allows Yard House to function in lake area The High Court of Karnataka on 2nd June permitted Yard House Brewery Pvt. Ltd. to run their business of a bar and ...READ MORE
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah launched a comprehensive web-based platform showcasing the government's performance and achievements to the citizens. Developed as the Chief Minister's dash board, 'Pratibimba,' which means reflection, will serve ...READ MORE
Karnataka Draught: Krishi Mela called off
Karnataka: Biggest Ever Promotion Move, 11,000 Police Personnel
Steel Sector in India
Towards restorative criminal justice
Karnataka flays Goa’s move to evict Lambani tribes
Rebooting ties with Iran- Modi’s visit to Iran
New auction policy for natural gas
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka: CM launches ‘Pratibimba’ website to project achievements