- INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday.
- The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted in the Indian Navy.
- The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine include superior stealth and the ability to launch an attack on the enemy using a precision guided weapon.
- The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, while underwater or on the surface.
- The submarine is designed to operate in all theatres, including the tropics. All means of communications are provided to ensure interoperability with other components of a Naval task force.
- It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine, such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance and the like.
- The government is looking to bolster the country’s naval fleet to counter what is being viewed as increasing activities of China in the Indian Ocean and Pakistan’s attempts to acquire a nuclear-powered submarine from the Communist neighbour.
- Khanderi is among six submarines being built at Mazagon docks in collaboration with a French company, DCNS.
- The first one, Kalvari, is completing sea trials and will be commissioned shortly into the Indian Navy,
- Khanderi is named after an island fort of the Marathas which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.
- As a tradition, navy ships and submarines are brought “alive” after decommissioning.
- The first Khanderi was commissioned into the navy 1968 and decommissioned after more than 20 years.
- Defence officials said Khanderi uses precision-guided weapons including torpedoes as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, which can be launched underwater or on surface.
- The submarine can undertake multifarious types of missions such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying and area surveillance, the officials added.
- India joined an exclusive group of submarine constructing nations on February 7, 1992, with the commissioning of the first Indian-built submarine, INS Shalki.
Only 22% municipal soild waste processed in state Of the 36.50 lakh metric tonnes of municipal solid waste (MSW) generated in Karnataka per annum, only 22% is being processes, according to ...READ MORE
More seats for State students in PG medical, dental courses Nearly 64% of the total 2,281 postgraduate medical seats and 55.54% of the 929 postgraduate dental seats in the State have ...READ MORE
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated First National Tribal Carnival-2016 in New Delhi on 25th Oct The tribal carnival would showcase the capabilities of the tribal communities, in the national capital. The Prime ...READ MORE
The State Assembly Secretariat reveals a stellar performance by just three MLAs, all from the Congress S. Rafeeq Ahmed of Tumakuru city, B.M. Nagaraja of Siraguppa, and Prasanna Kumar K.B. ...READ MORE
What is a genome ? The genome of an organism is the whole of its hereditary information encoded in its DNA. Within DNA there is a unique chemical code that guides ...READ MORE
The 68th Republic Day parade in New Delhi's Rajpath was a colourful affair tableaux from 17 states and Union Territories showcased the varied historical, art and cultural heritage of the ...READ MORE
What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme How - Who is eligible - Who is not eligible Issue What is the scheme - Income declaration scheme A limited-period Compliance Window to declare undisclosed income or ...READ MORE
The Government has a well established strategy and institutional mechanism to effectively deal with terrorist financing and money laundering problem. The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967(UAPA) and the Prevention of Money ...READ MORE
India International Coffee Festival to be held from January 16 After a gap of four years, Bengaluru will host the seventh edition of India International Coffee Festival (IICF) in January 2018. This ...READ MORE
ಡೆಡ್ಲಿ ವೈರಾಣು ನಿಫಾ! ಸುದ್ದಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಏಕಿದೆ? ಮಾರಣಾಂತಿಕ ನಿಫಾ ವೈರಾಣು ರೋಗ ನಿಯಂತ್ರಣಕ್ಕೆ ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಆರೋಗ್ಯ ಇಲಾಖೆಯ ಉನ್ನತ ಮಟ್ಟದ ನಿಯೋಗವನ್ನು ಕೇರಳಕ್ಕೆ ಕಳುಹಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಕೇರಳಕ್ಕೆ ನಿಫಾ ವೈರಸ್ ಪ್ರವೇಶಿಸಿ ರುವುದು ಹಾಗೂ ಇತರ ವಿವರಗಳಿಗೆ ಸಂಬಂಧಿಸಿ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ರೋಗ ನಿರೋಧಕ ಕೇಂದ್ರದ ನಿರ್ದೇಶಕರ ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 13th
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
National Tribal Carnival 2016
MLA absenteeism the norm at successive Assembly sessions
Genome Editing and its controversy
India Celebrate 68th Republic Day – Highlights
New scheme to tackle black money menace- Income
Strategy to deal with Terror Financing and Money
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 22nd
“22nd ಮೇ 2018 ಕನ್ನಡ ಪ್ರಚಲಿತ ವಿದ್ಯಮಾನ”