- INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday.
- The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted in the Indian Navy.
- The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine include superior stealth and the ability to launch an attack on the enemy using a precision guided weapon.
- The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, while underwater or on the surface.
- The submarine is designed to operate in all theatres, including the tropics. All means of communications are provided to ensure interoperability with other components of a Naval task force.
- It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine, such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance and the like.
- The government is looking to bolster the country’s naval fleet to counter what is being viewed as increasing activities of China in the Indian Ocean and Pakistan’s attempts to acquire a nuclear-powered submarine from the Communist neighbour.
- Khanderi is among six submarines being built at Mazagon docks in collaboration with a French company, DCNS.
- The first one, Kalvari, is completing sea trials and will be commissioned shortly into the Indian Navy,
- Khanderi is named after an island fort of the Marathas which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.
- As a tradition, navy ships and submarines are brought “alive” after decommissioning.
- The first Khanderi was commissioned into the navy 1968 and decommissioned after more than 20 years.
- Defence officials said Khanderi uses precision-guided weapons including torpedoes as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, which can be launched underwater or on surface.
- The submarine can undertake multifarious types of missions such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying and area surveillance, the officials added.
- India joined an exclusive group of submarine constructing nations on February 7, 1992, with the commissioning of the first Indian-built submarine, INS Shalki.
Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot The Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation (KSTDC) will launch the Dasara special package train tour on the Golden Chariot from October 1, ...READ MORE
The "Start up India Stand up India" initiative was announced by the PrimeMinister in his address to the nation on 15th August, 2015. The Stand up India component is anchored ...READ MORE
The first step has been taken towards removal of Karnataka Lokayukta Y. Bhaskar Rao by the Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party and Janata Dal (Secular). They submitted separate petitions to Legislative Assembly ...READ MORE
The Agriculture department is working out the modalities to set up Special Agricultural Zones (SAZ) in different parts of the state to provide greater technological and logistic support to farmers ...READ MORE
Artificial waterholes created in Shettyhalli sanctuary In the wake of acute shortage of water in Shettyhalli Wildlife Sanctuary limits in the district, the Forest Department has constructed 40 artificial waterholes there ...READ MORE
ಸಂವಿಧಾನ ಶಿಲ್ಪಿ ಡಾ.ಬಿ.ಆರ್. ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ಅವರ 125ನೇ ಜಯಂತಿ ಅಂಗವಾಗಿ 2015–16ನೇ ಸಾಲಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟರಿಗೆ ವಸತಿ ಒದಗಿಸಲು ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ನಿವಾಸ ಯೋಜನೆ ಜಾರಿಗೆ ಸಂಪುಟ ಒಪ್ಪಿಗೆ ಸೂಚಿಸಿದೆ. ‘ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟ ಜಾತಿ ಮತ್ತು ಪರಿಶಿಷ್ಟ ಪಂಗಡದ ಉಪಯೋಜನೆಯ ಅಡಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ಈ ಯೋಜನೆಗೆ ಅನುದಾನ ಹೊಂದಿಸಲಾಗುವುದು. ಗ್ರಾಮೀಣ ...READ MORE
A worrying re-emergence of diphtheria in Malappuram district of kerala, is putting at risk considerable swathes of its population. Atleast two children died of Diphtheria this year. Over a dozen Malappuram ...READ MORE
There has been a rise in availability of sandalwood on private properties across Mysuru division, with more landowners coming forward to ‘declare’ and ‘sell’ the prized trees. This is the result ...READ MORE
Do you know what about Dasara Golden Chariot
Stand Up India Scheme approved
Special Agricultural Zone (SAZ)
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
ಅಂಬೇಡ್ಕರ್ ನಿವಾಸ ಯೋಜನೆ
After Diphtheria Deaths, Kerala Launches Vaccination Drive
Karnataka: Landowners declare their sandalwood trees
KPSC Mains Paper
LRSAM Successfully Flight-Tested