- INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday.
- The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted in the Indian Navy.
- The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine include superior stealth and the ability to launch an attack on the enemy using a precision guided weapon.
- The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, while underwater or on the surface.
- The submarine is designed to operate in all theatres, including the tropics. All means of communications are provided to ensure interoperability with other components of a Naval task force.
- It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine, such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance and the like.
- The government is looking to bolster the country’s naval fleet to counter what is being viewed as increasing activities of China in the Indian Ocean and Pakistan’s attempts to acquire a nuclear-powered submarine from the Communist neighbour.
- Khanderi is among six submarines being built at Mazagon docks in collaboration with a French company, DCNS.
- The first one, Kalvari, is completing sea trials and will be commissioned shortly into the Indian Navy,
- Khanderi is named after an island fort of the Marathas which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.
- As a tradition, navy ships and submarines are brought “alive” after decommissioning.
- The first Khanderi was commissioned into the navy 1968 and decommissioned after more than 20 years.
- Defence officials said Khanderi uses precision-guided weapons including torpedoes as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, which can be launched underwater or on surface.
- The submarine can undertake multifarious types of missions such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying and area surveillance, the officials added.
- India joined an exclusive group of submarine constructing nations on February 7, 1992, with the commissioning of the first Indian-built submarine, INS Shalki.
Govt to ensure private firms enforce retirement age rule The labour department will conduct inspections to ensure that employers implement the state government’s decision to enhance the retirement age of employees ...READ MORE
Silicon likely makes up a significant proportion of the Earth’s core after iron and nickel, say scientists who claim to have identified the ‘missing element’ in the deep interiors of ...READ MORE
Community health officers to help mitigate problem of doctors shortage Mysuru Medical College and Research Institute (MMCRI) is one among the two medical institutions in the State selected by the Ministry ...READ MORE
For the first time in its history, the India Meteorological Department — best known for its monsoon forecasts — will issue a summer forecast for April, May and June Those involved ...READ MORE
The state government has decided to adhere to its stand and not denotify fruits and vegetables from the Karnataka Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (Regulation and Development) Act, despite the Centre ...READ MORE
KLCDA for declaring 176 ‘live’ lakes in Bengaluru as wetlands The Karnataka Lake Conservation and Development Authority (KLCDA) has sought for the declaration of 176 ‘live’ lakes in the city as ...READ MORE
ವಿವಿಧ ಅರಸರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಭಿನ್ನಾಭಿಪ್ರಾಯ ಮೂಡಿಸಿ ಬ್ರಿಟಿಷರು ಒಡೆದು ಆಳುವ ನೀತಿ ಅನುಸರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಆದರೆ, ಪಟೇಲ್ ಅವರು ಎಲ್ಲಾ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಭಾರತದ ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಿದರು . ಅರಸರ ಆಡಳಿತದಲ್ಲಿ ಇದ್ದ ರಾಜ್ಯಗಳನ್ನು ಒಕ್ಕೂಟದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇರಿಸಲು ಪಟೇಲರು ರಾಜಕೀಯ ಚಾತುರ್ಯ ತೋರಿಸಿದ್ದರು. ಚಾಣಕ್ಯನೂ ದೇಶವನ್ನು ...READ MORE
The Union government on Sunday launched the first phase of the all India Measles and Rubella (MR) vaccine immunisation campaign from Bengaluru for the four states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, ...READ MORE
The new rules for taxi aggregators issued by the government will mean that they will have to toe the line on passenger safety. But, for the moment, they have been given ...READ MORE
Municipalities are empowered to levy taxes on i) buildings or lands or both (property tax), ii) advertisements, iii) toll on vehicles other than those taxed under Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation ...READ MORE
Karnataka State Updates for KAS/KPSC Exams – 26th
Science & Tech: Silicon identified as ‘missing element’
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
In a first, IMD to bring out summer
Karnataka State will not denotify fruits & vegetables
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
‘ಒಂದೇ ಭಾರತ, ಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ಭಾರತ’ ಚಾಲನೆ
Measles-Rubella vaccine drive launched; to cover 1.65 cr
The Karnataka On-demand Transportation Technology Aggregators Rules, 2016.
Karnataka Economy – Tax Revenue & Funding Capital