- INS Khanderi, second of the Scorpene class submarine, was launched in Mumbai on Thursday.
- The submarine, which was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), will undergo trials before being inducted in the Indian Navy.
- The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine include superior stealth and the ability to launch an attack on the enemy using a precision guided weapon.
- The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, while underwater or on the surface.
- The submarine is designed to operate in all theatres, including the tropics. All means of communications are provided to ensure interoperability with other components of a Naval task force.
- It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine, such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance and the like.
- The government is looking to bolster the country’s naval fleet to counter what is being viewed as increasing activities of China in the Indian Ocean and Pakistan’s attempts to acquire a nuclear-powered submarine from the Communist neighbour.
- Khanderi is among six submarines being built at Mazagon docks in collaboration with a French company, DCNS.
- The first one, Kalvari, is completing sea trials and will be commissioned shortly into the Indian Navy,
- Khanderi is named after an island fort of the Marathas which played a vital role in ensuring their supremacy at sea in the late 17th century.
- As a tradition, navy ships and submarines are brought “alive” after decommissioning.
- The first Khanderi was commissioned into the navy 1968 and decommissioned after more than 20 years.
- Defence officials said Khanderi uses precision-guided weapons including torpedoes as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, which can be launched underwater or on surface.
- The submarine can undertake multifarious types of missions such as anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying and area surveillance, the officials added.
- India joined an exclusive group of submarine constructing nations on February 7, 1992, with the commissioning of the first Indian-built submarine, INS Shalki.
SC orders Karnataka to decide Shakadri's plea in 6 weeks The Supreme Court on 27th March directed the Karnataka government to decide within six weeks several representations made by the religious head ...READ MORE
Green nod to Karnataka's Rs 1,561-cr Harohalli industrial park The Centre has given its green light to the combined development of Harohalli industrial zone in Ramnagara district of Karnataka entailing an ...READ MORE
The Karnataka government’s move to take up the much-needed upgrade of the award-winning Bhoomi software has come to a grinding halt. The government and the contractor – Accenture Services Pvt Ltd ...READ MORE
Karnataka to provide legal assistance to IT association Minister for IT, Biotechnology and Tourism Priyank Kharge has assured of providing legal assistance to IT employees’ association in the State, according to ...READ MORE
The Dr B R Ambedkar School of Economics, modelled on the London School of Economics, will begin classes from the upcoming academic year (2017-18) at the Jnana Bharathi campus of ...READ MORE
Why in News: The Centre’s flagship scheme to distribute free liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) connections to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families, has received a lacklustre response in the state. In the ...READ MORE
Under Centrally Sponsored UIDSSMT (mission period) scheme, out of the 38 projects sanctioned for the State, 28 projects are completed. The central government has released an amount of Rs.534.97 crore for ...READ MORE
From this year, Kannada is compulsory in all schools Starting this academic year, students will be taught Kannada in all schools in the State, including private, linguistic minority and Central board ...READ MORE
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are officially known as Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development They are an intergovernmental set of aspiration Goals with 169 targets. The Goals are contained in ...READ MORE
Karnataka State Update – KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 2nd
Bhoomi software upgrade project stuck over cost escalation
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Cabinet okays Rs 150-cr corpus for School of
Not many takers in state for free LPG connections
Urban Infrastructure Development Scheme for Small and Medium
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Deloitte-CII survey on manufacturing firms