- The railways have started installing point of sale (PoS) machines at as many as 73 reservation counters.
- The facility will also be made available at parcel counters, where payments can be made using debit and credit cards, this facility, however, is not available at unreserved counters.
- N S Shridhar Murthy, senior divisional commercial manager said, “Around 60% of the tickets are booked online. We normally earn Rs 3 lakh to Rs 4 lakh from freight charges and Rs 7 lakh to Rs 10 lakh from ticket fares daily.
- However, there has seen a drop of 10% in the revenue during the last one month. With digital adoption, we hope to increase patronage,” he added. Agarwal said the sale of monthly passes has gone up to 65,000, an increase of 10%
Upgrading Baiyappanahalli terminal
- On the proposal of upgrading Baiyappanahalli railway station as a third terminal, Agarwal said that the civil work for constructing three pit lines for the maintenance of trains and seven platforms has already started.
- On completion, around 16 train services could be started from here. This is expected to be ready in 2018.
- Besides, Agarwal said as many as 2.52 lakh cases were booked against ticket less travellers till November this year.
- With this, they have collected a revenue of Rs 12 crore. It was Rs 8 crore during the corresponding period last year
New MEMU train
- SWR has proposed to introduce three new Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) trains from Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna railway station (Bengaluru City) to Ramanagaram, Whitefield and Kuppam.
- They have got three rakes (a set of coaches) from the Indian Railways.
- In a month, there will be three MEMU train services from Bengaluru City to Ramanagaram, one train service to Whitefield and another to Kuppam in Andhra Pradesh, 130 km from Bengaluru City railway station.
- The train has been scheduled to depart from Bengaluru City railway station at 5.20 am and reach Ramanagaram at 6.14 am. It departs from Ramanagaram at 7 am and returns to Bengaluru City at 8.40 am. From here, it departs at 8.45 am for Whitefield, where it arrives at 9.40 am.
- On its return journey, it leaves Whitefield at 10.30 am and arrives at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 am. The same train leaves Bengaluru City at 11.40 am and arrives at Kuppam at 1.50 pm with a halt at Whitefield. The train then leaves Kuppam at 2.45 pm and reaches Bengaluru City at 5.15 pm with a halt at Whitefield.
- The MEMU leaves Bengaluru at 5.25 pm and reaches Ramanagaram at 6.30 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram for Bengaluru at 6.35 pm and reaches the city railway station at 7.50 pm. After a 10-minute halt, it returns to Ramanagaram at 9.10 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram at 9.55 and terminates at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 pm.
- SWR also has plans to convert 15 conventional (passenger) trains into MEMU trains. “We have sought financial support of Rs 360 crore from the state government. The funds will be used to convert passenger trains into MEMU trains, which increase passenger capacity from 1,000 to 2,500,” he said.
Shatabdi fare to Mysuru Rs 300
- Sanjeev Agarwal, divisional manager, SWR said that the fare on Chennai Central-Mysuru Shatabdi Express between Bengaluru City and Mysuru has been reduced from Rs 440 to Rs 300.
- Besides, there has been a reduction of 10% in the tatkal quota in Rajdhani, Duronto and Shatabdi trains. Also, railways has introduced 10% rebate in the basic fare on vacant berths after preparation of the first chart.
- The 10% discount shall also be applicable for allotment of vacant berths (when passengers don’t show up) in the train by TTEs.
A permanent museum dedicated to the Partition of India in 1947 – to be called Yadgar-e-Taqseem or Memories of Partition – will be opened in Amritsar in early 2017, to ...READ MORE
As per Registrar General of India, Sample Registration System (SRS) 2013, the Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) is 40 per 1000 live births. the Neonatal Mortality Rate (NMR) is 28 per 1000 live ...READ MORE
In an effort to help government-run transport entities, the Karnataka State Transport Authority (KSTU) has come out with a Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA) for the entire state that bans new ...READ MORE
"A King Cobra has been run over by a vehicle on Castle Rock Main Road passing through the Castle Rock Wildlife Range of Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve." Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve is the fourth ...READ MORE
A recent study by the WHO shows that a significant population of Indian subcontinent breathes air with much higher particulate matter that is lesser than 2.5 micrometre (PM2.5) in size ...READ MORE
Till the year 1896, unfiltered water was supplied to Bengaluru city in the Kalyani system from a number of tanks such as Dharmambudhi, Sampangi, Ulsoor, Sankey etc., supplemented by local ...READ MORE
The Ministry of Urban Development, GOI brought out a National Sanitation Policy in 2008. The vision for urban sanitation in India is set forth thus:“All Indian cities and towns become totally sanitized, healthy and ...READ MORE
INSAT-3DR Why in News: In its tenth flight (GSLV-F05) conducted recently, India’s Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle, equipped with the indigenous Cryogenic Upper Stage (CUS), successfully launched the country’s weather satellite INSAT-3DR, ...READ MORE
ದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ಪ್ರಸ್ತುತವಾಗಿರುವ ಎಂಜಿನಿಯರಿಂಗ್ ಮತ್ತು ತಂತ್ರಜ್ಞಾನ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರಗಳ ಸವಾಲುಗಳನ್ನು ಎದುರಿಸುವ ಸಂಶೋಧನೆಗಳಿಗೆ ಅವಕಾಶ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಡುವ ಮಹತ್ವಾಕಾಂಕ್ಷಿ ಯೋಜನೆ ‘ಇಂಪ್ರಿಂಟ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ’ಗೆ ಚಾಲನೆ ‘ಇಂಪ್ರಿಂಟ್’ನ್ನು ಐಐಟಿ ಮತ್ತು ಐಐಎಸ್ಸಿ ಜಂಟಿಯಾಗಿ ನಿರ್ವಹಿಸುತ್ತವೆ. ಸಂಶೋಧನೆಗಳು ಇಂದಿನ ಸಮಾಜಕ್ಕೆ ದೊಡ್ಡ ಪ್ರಮಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ ನೆರವಾಗುವಂತಿರಬೇಕು. ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮದ ಉದ್ದೇಶ: ಸಮಾಜದಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾವ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೊಸತನದ ...READ MORE
DOWNLOAD AUGUST 2016 CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE CLICK HERE Best Current affairs Magazine for all civil services competitive examinations. It is the only magazine that covers National issues, international issues and Karnataka issues ...READ MORE
Amritsar’s Partition museum
Infant Mortality- Status
Karnataka-Comprehensive Area Scheme (CSA)
BWSSB – Existing Water Supply System Scenario &
Urban Development-Sanitation (Including Sewerage and Drainage)
ಇಂಪ್ರಿಂಟ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ’ಗೆ ಚಾಲನೆ
AUGUST MAHITHI MONTHLY CURRENT AFFAIRS MAGAZINE FOR KAS