- The railways have started installing point of sale (PoS) machines at as many as 73 reservation counters.
- The facility will also be made available at parcel counters, where payments can be made using debit and credit cards, this facility, however, is not available at unreserved counters.
- N S Shridhar Murthy, senior divisional commercial manager said, “Around 60% of the tickets are booked online. We normally earn Rs 3 lakh to Rs 4 lakh from freight charges and Rs 7 lakh to Rs 10 lakh from ticket fares daily.
- However, there has seen a drop of 10% in the revenue during the last one month. With digital adoption, we hope to increase patronage,” he added. Agarwal said the sale of monthly passes has gone up to 65,000, an increase of 10%
Upgrading Baiyappanahalli terminal
- On the proposal of upgrading Baiyappanahalli railway station as a third terminal, Agarwal said that the civil work for constructing three pit lines for the maintenance of trains and seven platforms has already started.
- On completion, around 16 train services could be started from here. This is expected to be ready in 2018.
- Besides, Agarwal said as many as 2.52 lakh cases were booked against ticket less travellers till November this year.
- With this, they have collected a revenue of Rs 12 crore. It was Rs 8 crore during the corresponding period last year
New MEMU train
- SWR has proposed to introduce three new Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) trains from Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna railway station (Bengaluru City) to Ramanagaram, Whitefield and Kuppam.
- They have got three rakes (a set of coaches) from the Indian Railways.
- In a month, there will be three MEMU train services from Bengaluru City to Ramanagaram, one train service to Whitefield and another to Kuppam in Andhra Pradesh, 130 km from Bengaluru City railway station.
- The train has been scheduled to depart from Bengaluru City railway station at 5.20 am and reach Ramanagaram at 6.14 am. It departs from Ramanagaram at 7 am and returns to Bengaluru City at 8.40 am. From here, it departs at 8.45 am for Whitefield, where it arrives at 9.40 am.
- On its return journey, it leaves Whitefield at 10.30 am and arrives at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 am. The same train leaves Bengaluru City at 11.40 am and arrives at Kuppam at 1.50 pm with a halt at Whitefield. The train then leaves Kuppam at 2.45 pm and reaches Bengaluru City at 5.15 pm with a halt at Whitefield.
- The MEMU leaves Bengaluru at 5.25 pm and reaches Ramanagaram at 6.30 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram for Bengaluru at 6.35 pm and reaches the city railway station at 7.50 pm. After a 10-minute halt, it returns to Ramanagaram at 9.10 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram at 9.55 and terminates at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 pm.
- SWR also has plans to convert 15 conventional (passenger) trains into MEMU trains. “We have sought financial support of Rs 360 crore from the state government. The funds will be used to convert passenger trains into MEMU trains, which increase passenger capacity from 1,000 to 2,500,” he said.
Shatabdi fare to Mysuru Rs 300
- Sanjeev Agarwal, divisional manager, SWR said that the fare on Chennai Central-Mysuru Shatabdi Express between Bengaluru City and Mysuru has been reduced from Rs 440 to Rs 300.
- Besides, there has been a reduction of 10% in the tatkal quota in Rajdhani, Duronto and Shatabdi trains. Also, railways has introduced 10% rebate in the basic fare on vacant berths after preparation of the first chart.
- The 10% discount shall also be applicable for allotment of vacant berths (when passengers don’t show up) in the train by TTEs.
New deadlines to revive Bellandur lake Four days after a fire put the spotlight back on Bellandur lake, the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA), which is the custodian of the more-than-750-acre lake, ...READ MORE
Polyhouse farming/ shelter farming is an alternative new technique in agriculture gaining foothold in rural India. In Karnataka Polyhouse farming a part of Krishi bhagya programme of GOK It reduces dependency on rainfall and ...READ MORE
Karnataka government unveils the state flag, awaits Centre’s approval Chief minister Siddaramaiah on 8th March unveiled Karnataka’s flag and said it was a “historic decision” taken keeping in mind the history ...READ MORE
The Vijayapura civic body will set them up at an estimated cost of Rs. 70 lakh To deal with the rising garbage issue in Vijayapura city and to reduce the transportation ...READ MORE
India and Japan today signed a landmark civil nuclear cooperation deal after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his counterpart Shinzo Abe, a move that will boost bilateral economic ...READ MORE
From this year, Kannada is compulsory in all schools Starting this academic year, students will be taught Kannada in all schools in the State, including private, linguistic minority and Central board ...READ MORE
Travel time between Bengaluru and Mysuru could be reduced to 90 minutes in the near future if trials with a high speed, tilting train manufactured by Spanish manufacturer Talgo conducted ...READ MORE
After a dismal 2015 of mass refugee flows, war and catastrophe, leading U.N. agencies and their partners announced that they are seeking over $20 billion in funding next year — ...READ MORE
The Sundarbans is a natural region comprising southern Bangladesh and a small part in Eastern India. It covers approximately 10,000 square kilometres. It is the largest single block of tidal halophytic mangrove forest ...READ MORE
Flag committee may submit report soon The committee set up to design a flag for Karnataka is preparing to submit a report to the government soon. A nine-member team had been set ...READ MORE
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 21st
Poly house farming
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 8th
Karnataka: Five waste segregation units to be set
India- Japan Sign Landmark Nuclear Energy Deal
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Talgo tilting train- between Mysore Bangalore
UN agencies appeal for humanitarian funding
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams – 16th