- The railways have started installing point of sale (PoS) machines at as many as 73 reservation counters.
- The facility will also be made available at parcel counters, where payments can be made using debit and credit cards, this facility, however, is not available at unreserved counters.
- N S Shridhar Murthy, senior divisional commercial manager said, “Around 60% of the tickets are booked online. We normally earn Rs 3 lakh to Rs 4 lakh from freight charges and Rs 7 lakh to Rs 10 lakh from ticket fares daily.
- However, there has seen a drop of 10% in the revenue during the last one month. With digital adoption, we hope to increase patronage,” he added. Agarwal said the sale of monthly passes has gone up to 65,000, an increase of 10%
Upgrading Baiyappanahalli terminal
- On the proposal of upgrading Baiyappanahalli railway station as a third terminal, Agarwal said that the civil work for constructing three pit lines for the maintenance of trains and seven platforms has already started.
- On completion, around 16 train services could be started from here. This is expected to be ready in 2018.
- Besides, Agarwal said as many as 2.52 lakh cases were booked against ticket less travellers till November this year.
- With this, they have collected a revenue of Rs 12 crore. It was Rs 8 crore during the corresponding period last year
New MEMU train
- SWR has proposed to introduce three new Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) trains from Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna railway station (Bengaluru City) to Ramanagaram, Whitefield and Kuppam.
- They have got three rakes (a set of coaches) from the Indian Railways.
- In a month, there will be three MEMU train services from Bengaluru City to Ramanagaram, one train service to Whitefield and another to Kuppam in Andhra Pradesh, 130 km from Bengaluru City railway station.
- The train has been scheduled to depart from Bengaluru City railway station at 5.20 am and reach Ramanagaram at 6.14 am. It departs from Ramanagaram at 7 am and returns to Bengaluru City at 8.40 am. From here, it departs at 8.45 am for Whitefield, where it arrives at 9.40 am.
- On its return journey, it leaves Whitefield at 10.30 am and arrives at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 am. The same train leaves Bengaluru City at 11.40 am and arrives at Kuppam at 1.50 pm with a halt at Whitefield. The train then leaves Kuppam at 2.45 pm and reaches Bengaluru City at 5.15 pm with a halt at Whitefield.
- The MEMU leaves Bengaluru at 5.25 pm and reaches Ramanagaram at 6.30 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram for Bengaluru at 6.35 pm and reaches the city railway station at 7.50 pm. After a 10-minute halt, it returns to Ramanagaram at 9.10 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram at 9.55 and terminates at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 pm.
- SWR also has plans to convert 15 conventional (passenger) trains into MEMU trains. “We have sought financial support of Rs 360 crore from the state government. The funds will be used to convert passenger trains into MEMU trains, which increase passenger capacity from 1,000 to 2,500,” he said.
Shatabdi fare to Mysuru Rs 300
- Sanjeev Agarwal, divisional manager, SWR said that the fare on Chennai Central-Mysuru Shatabdi Express between Bengaluru City and Mysuru has been reduced from Rs 440 to Rs 300.
- Besides, there has been a reduction of 10% in the tatkal quota in Rajdhani, Duronto and Shatabdi trains. Also, railways has introduced 10% rebate in the basic fare on vacant berths after preparation of the first chart.
- The 10% discount shall also be applicable for allotment of vacant berths (when passengers don’t show up) in the train by TTEs.
As the froth in Bellandur and Varthur lakes evoke shock and disgust from citizens, an 18-member expert committee formed to chalk out a solution had noticed that there were “too ...READ MORE
An app under the aegis of the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been developed to aid fishermen to increase their catch and reduce the cost of operations, the ...READ MORE
Karnataka Govt planning to hike quota ceiling to 72% Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on 26th March said that his government was exploring the possibility of increasing the reservation ceiling in education and employment ...READ MORE
Home minister G Parameshwara said that the state government has decided to provide five per cent reservation for sportspersons in the recruitments of police department. The government would do everything possible ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Mysuru Dasara logo unveiled District incharge Minister H C Mahadevappa released the Mysuru Dasara 2017 logo at a meeting of the Dasara executive committee on 31st August. Dasara is scheduled to ...READ MORE
Bank consolidation India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) formally started merger of 5 associative banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank with itself. The merged entity will have India’s one-fourth of ...READ MORE
Four new plant-eating insects that may turn out to be a potential threat to agriculture in several states have been found in Karnataka. These pests, reported for the first time in ...READ MORE
Trade Facilitation agreement TFA is divided into three parts. Section 1 contains provisions on simplification of border clearance procedures and adoption of new transparency measures and consists of 12 Articles. These 12 ...READ MORE
Sericulture farmers in Karnataka, India’s leading raw silk producing State, are disappointed over the Union Budget’s failure to increase the customs duty on import of raw silk. The customs duty on ...READ MORE
Bellandur Lake: British firm offers to revive the
New mobile app to help fishermen
Karnataka – State Update- KAS / KPSC Exams
Karnataka will reserve 5% jobs in police force
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
All you need to know- Bank consolidation
Four new farm pests found in Karnataka
Trade Facilitation agreement- details and implementation
Sericulture farmers in state disappointed with the budget
Chennai floods explained