- The railways have started installing point of sale (PoS) machines at as many as 73 reservation counters.
- The facility will also be made available at parcel counters, where payments can be made using debit and credit cards, this facility, however, is not available at unreserved counters.
- N S Shridhar Murthy, senior divisional commercial manager said, “Around 60% of the tickets are booked online. We normally earn Rs 3 lakh to Rs 4 lakh from freight charges and Rs 7 lakh to Rs 10 lakh from ticket fares daily.
- However, there has seen a drop of 10% in the revenue during the last one month. With digital adoption, we hope to increase patronage,” he added. Agarwal said the sale of monthly passes has gone up to 65,000, an increase of 10%
Upgrading Baiyappanahalli terminal
- On the proposal of upgrading Baiyappanahalli railway station as a third terminal, Agarwal said that the civil work for constructing three pit lines for the maintenance of trains and seven platforms has already started.
- On completion, around 16 train services could be started from here. This is expected to be ready in 2018.
- Besides, Agarwal said as many as 2.52 lakh cases were booked against ticket less travellers till November this year.
- With this, they have collected a revenue of Rs 12 crore. It was Rs 8 crore during the corresponding period last year
New MEMU train
- SWR has proposed to introduce three new Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) trains from Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna railway station (Bengaluru City) to Ramanagaram, Whitefield and Kuppam.
- They have got three rakes (a set of coaches) from the Indian Railways.
- In a month, there will be three MEMU train services from Bengaluru City to Ramanagaram, one train service to Whitefield and another to Kuppam in Andhra Pradesh, 130 km from Bengaluru City railway station.
- The train has been scheduled to depart from Bengaluru City railway station at 5.20 am and reach Ramanagaram at 6.14 am. It departs from Ramanagaram at 7 am and returns to Bengaluru City at 8.40 am. From here, it departs at 8.45 am for Whitefield, where it arrives at 9.40 am.
- On its return journey, it leaves Whitefield at 10.30 am and arrives at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 am. The same train leaves Bengaluru City at 11.40 am and arrives at Kuppam at 1.50 pm with a halt at Whitefield. The train then leaves Kuppam at 2.45 pm and reaches Bengaluru City at 5.15 pm with a halt at Whitefield.
- The MEMU leaves Bengaluru at 5.25 pm and reaches Ramanagaram at 6.30 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram for Bengaluru at 6.35 pm and reaches the city railway station at 7.50 pm. After a 10-minute halt, it returns to Ramanagaram at 9.10 pm. It leaves Ramanagaram at 9.55 and terminates at Bengaluru City railway station at 11.10 pm.
- SWR also has plans to convert 15 conventional (passenger) trains into MEMU trains. “We have sought financial support of Rs 360 crore from the state government. The funds will be used to convert passenger trains into MEMU trains, which increase passenger capacity from 1,000 to 2,500,” he said.
Shatabdi fare to Mysuru Rs 300
- Sanjeev Agarwal, divisional manager, SWR said that the fare on Chennai Central-Mysuru Shatabdi Express between Bengaluru City and Mysuru has been reduced from Rs 440 to Rs 300.
- Besides, there has been a reduction of 10% in the tatkal quota in Rajdhani, Duronto and Shatabdi trains. Also, railways has introduced 10% rebate in the basic fare on vacant berths after preparation of the first chart.
- The 10% discount shall also be applicable for allotment of vacant berths (when passengers don’t show up) in the train by TTEs.
The Supreme Court on 24th March ordered that the stay granted on ritual ‘Made Snana’ performed by people from Malekudiya community in Dakshina Kannada district and elsewhere would continue till ...READ MORE
The Centre’s revision of service tax rate for packaged tours booked through travel and tour agencies will result in a nearly 20% hike in charges, which will be passed on ...READ MORE
The Centrally-appointed Forest Advisory Committee (FAC) has pulled up the State government for ‘converting’ a reserve forest to gomala land in Belagavi. The recommendations by the 7-member FAC, which comprises officials ...READ MORE
Self Employment Programme The Government of India, Ministry of Rural Development has restructured SGSY as “Aajeevika”- National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) and being implemented from 2010-2011. The State Government is implementing this ...READ MORE
Gross Domestic Product was 7.6 per cent in the second quarter of the last fiscal. The Indian economy grew at 7.3 per cent in the September quarter of current fiscal, up ...READ MORE
Below poverty line and above poverty line families will not get their monthly ration under the public distribution system from April 1, if they fail to link Aadhaar number with ...READ MORE
The government, during the Budget session of the Parliament, plans to amend The mining law which is holding up mergers and acquisitions worth thousands of crore in the distressed commodities and ...READ MORE
Eco-sensitive zones around state forest patches being redefined The state forest department and the Ministry of Environment and Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) are now redefining the boundaries of eco-sensitive zones ...READ MORE
What is Kambala? Kambala is an annual festival celebrated in the Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka. The festival involves the traditional buffalo race, a popular and unique sport among the farming ...READ MORE
Karnataka: SC stay on ‘Made Snana’ to continue
Packaged tours booked through travel &tour agencies will
State seeks diversion of Bhutaramanahatti Reserve Forest land,
Rural Development-Self Employment Programme
GDP grows at 7.3% in September quarter
No PDS supplies if Aadhaar is not linked
MMDR Act of 2015 to be amended
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
After Jallakattu, Karnataka wakes up for “Kambala”
Nobel Prize winners: 2015