- The government, during the Budget session of the Parliament, plans to amend The mining law which is holding up mergers and acquisitions worth thousands of crore in the distressed commodities and mining sector.
- Consolidation, in stressed sectors such as metals and cement, is critical as companies seek to lower their debt levels by hiving off assets.
- The deals are stuck as the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) or MMDR Act of 2015, which aims to ensure transparent auctions of minerals, doesn’t allow transfer of captive mines allotted to end-user plants in the past.
- For instance Birla Corp’s Rs. 5,000 purchase of two Lafarge India cement units was announced this year.So, Birla Corp. can take over Lafarge’s cement plant, but won’t get access to the captive limestone mines linked to the plant, making the transaction unviable.
- For allowing transfer of captive mines, there is no other way to proceed without an amendment. The govt is about to move a cabinet note for inter-ministerial consultations, proposing a change so that captive mines can be transferred
- The transfer of mineral concessions shall be allowed only for concessions which are granted through auctions,” according to the relevant sub-section of the MMDR Act of 2015, which came into force on January 12.
- Before this change, transfer of mining leases was allowed under the mineral concession rules of 1960 after getting an approval from the state government.
- The clause has turned into a deal-breaker as a cement or steel plant with captive limestone or iron ore mines loses its utility without the assured mineral resources.
The twin cities of Hubballi-Dharwad will host the State Level Olympics Games from February 3 to 10 and 275 gold, silver and bronze medals each would be awarded in as ...READ MORE
ವಿದೇಶಿ ನೇರ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ (ಎಫ್ಡಿಐ) ನಿಯಮಗಳನ್ನು ಕೇಂದ್ರ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ಸಡಿಲಗೊಳಿಸಿದೆ. ರಿಯಲ್ ಎಸ್ಟೇಟ್, ರಕ್ಷಣೆ, ನಾಗರಿಕ ವಿಮಾನ ಯಾನ ಮತ್ತು ಸುದ್ದಿ ಪ್ರಸಾರ ಸೇರಿದಂತೆ 15 ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರಗಳನ್ನು ವಿದೇಶಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆಗೆ ತೆರೆದಿರಿಸಿದೆ. ನಿರ್ಮಾಣ ರಂಗದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ ಮಾಡುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಇರುವ ನಿರ್ಬಂಧಗಳನ್ನು ಸಡಿಲಿಸಲಾಗಿದೆ. ಯೋಜನೆ ಪೂರ್ಣಗೊಳ್ಳುವ ...READ MORE
What is Pravasi Bharatiy Divas? Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (Non-Resident Indian Day), is celebrated in India on 9 January each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the ...READ MORE
Despite the Animal Welfare Board of India’s ‘request’ to the State government to stop Kambala for the year 2015-16 it will be held. Administrations of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi will follow ...READ MORE
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of embryos Britain granted its first licence for the genetic modification of human embryos as part of research into infertility and why miscarriages happen, ...READ MORE
The Cabinet approved Rs. 2,000 crore for the rehabilitation of Kashmiris who moved to different parts of India in the early 1990s and began to be recognised as migrants. It will ...READ MORE
Food and Civil Supplies Minister U T Khader on 27th Feb said that the state government will have to discontinue supply of sugar through PDS if the Centre does not restore its ...READ MORE
FICCI, ISRO set to host global space industry meet The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and industry body Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) are hosting an international ...READ MORE
100 to be relaunched with response time of 6 seconds The police control room number ‘100’ is being relaunched under a new name ‘Namma-100’ with a promise that calls would be ...READ MORE
The reality of urban governance in Karnataka and in India general, in the context of a local government, stands in contrast to the philosophy of the Constitution. The colonial authoritarian structure of city governance continues to ...READ MORE
Karnataka: Hubballi-Dharwad to host State Olympics Games from
ವಿದೇಶಿ ಹೂಡಿಕೆ ನಿಯಮ ಸಡಿಲ
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas: State to showcase startup prowess
Kambala to be held in Dakshina Kannada
Britain grants first licence for genetic modification of
Economic package for Kashmiri migrants’ rehabilitation
Karnataka: Govt may stop supplying PDS sugar
Karnataka Current Affairs – KAS/KPSC Exams
Karnatka Current Afffairs – KAS / KPSC Exams
Urban Governance & Constitution of a District Planning